General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Trail Gear shackle kit 110008 & 110018 help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 04:30 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Trail Gear shackle kit 110008 & 110018 help please

Well, I received my new Trail Gear shackle kits for the front & rear of my 84 4wd pickup, No paper work! Ok, so I looked at the bushings for both of them and there are 2 different bushings, the difference being the length and the writing on them. On 4 of the bushings it says "leaf spring" on the other 4 it says "shackle frame tube" If you put 1 of each together they add up to the width of the spring 2.36" great. Am I to "assume" that the one that says shackle frame tube goes on the leaf spring towards the frame? I know this is not rocket science but geeezzz just a little diagram would help. For someone that's never done this before and never used there product, you think they would give you some instructions.
So, am I correct in what I think is the way to install the bushings?
Old 01-18-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Post a pic. Of what they sent. Preferably contents of each kit.

My guessing: they put bushing for stock mount and frame tubes or bushings for frame tubes and Rear spring mounts. With bushing for springs. So one kit fits multiple applications
Old 01-19-2018, 08:53 AM

Picture
4 shackle bolts
4 shackle nuts
4 shackle plates
4 shackle bushings that say leaf spring
4 shackle bushings that say shackle frame tube
http://toyota.roadlessgear.com/shackle-kit-10
Here's the link, look for yourself.
I need to hear from someone who has done this before usings these parts!

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 01-19-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:13 PM

Well, just talked with Trail Gear product support and he tells me that it really doesn't matter in regards to the bushings So I will put one of each on each end of the leaf spring and install. Like I said, just a little diagram would have saved the phone call. Hope someone is watching
Old 01-21-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Not real sure just what you seemed to have trouble with.

The kit comes with the bushings for both sides .

Being the bushing are all the same size it does not matter which location they go on.

Then doing this sort of thing 40 plus years does give one an edge .
Old 01-21-2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Not real sure just what you seemed to have trouble with.

The kit comes with the bushings for both sides .

Being the bushing are all the same size it does not matter which location they go on.

Then doing this sort of thing 40 plus years does give one an edge .
wyoming9
1st off, the bushings are not the same, one is longer then the other. If i use one of each together they will match the width of the leaf spring, about 2.360.
Well, I'm getting a bit confused on the frame mounting of the leaf springs. My new leaf springs are Old Man EMU and Trail Gear shackles for both front and rear. As I look at the hanger pins on the truck now it is a lot smaller diameter then the bolts I bought from TG these are 18mm. Do I still use the hanger pins or do I just remove them and use the new 18mm grease'able bolts. I followed kawazx636 rebuild to get most of my info, 73 pages of his 83 rebuild but he never went into too much detail on the mounting of the leaf springs. I sent him a few PM's but he has yet to answer me. Any help? I have many years on earth but not 40 doing this.
Mike

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 01-21-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
This is the front of my 84 4wd with trail gear shackle kits. I used the stock Toyota bolts on the front and all of the TG bolts supplied with the shackles. I had a set of red energy suspension poly bushings though, so I used them instead, the TG seemed cheap.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:11 PM

WARMONGER88
Got a pic of the front leaf where it attaches to the frame?
You used the stock bolts ?
Old 01-25-2018, 11:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You know it is possible someone was having a bad day when your parts were packed .

You have parts from another kit.

***You did read the part that says These Kits are not for OEM leaf springs They are for Our Leaf Springs??

This is from the Link of the catalog !!

Last edited by wyoming9; 01-25-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
You know it is possible someone was having a bad day when your parts were packed .

You have parts from another kit.

***You did read the part that says These Kits are not for OEM leaf springs They are for Our Leaf Springs??

This is from the Link of the catalog !!
Yes, I read that, all the bushings fit my Old Man EMU leaf springs and like I said if I use one of each bushing they will add up to the width of the spring. I don't have a problem there. I do have a "concern" about how to attach the leaf spring to the frame. I have not removed the leafs from my truck yet, it's cold and snowing here, but, I'm trying to understand what bolts to use for the, (i believe they call it the eye end of the leaf where it attaches to the frame) I want to use the heavy duty bolts, 18mm Diameter but I see that others have used the stock "hanger bolts" to mount.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Trail Gear shackle kit 110008 & 110018 help please