84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Help me get my truck on the road please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me get my truck on the road please!!!

Just bought my first Toyota. A 1985 4wd pickup. It had been sitting for 6 years and the gas tank had about 4 inches of "varnish"/sludge, so I have replaced the tank, the fuel pump and the fuel filter. (It is fuel injected). I still can't get it to keep running. It will start by spraying gas into the throttle body, but as soon as that gas runs out it dies again, which makes me think the pump is not getting any juice. I've checked all the wiring to and from the pump and it's all good, so what am I missing? Is there a relay or fuse I can check and where would I find it? Any help will be so appreciated. I've been stranded for a couple months and really need to get this truck on the road! Thanks, Toro's Toy
Old 01-16-2018, 05:36 AM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Have you got all the intake piping plumbed up tight from the air cleaner to the throttle body when trying to start up???

If the vane air flow meter on top of the Air box does not measure air flow past it, the fuel pump will not run.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
When to turn the key on (but not cranking the starter) do you hear the pump pressuring up?
Old 01-16-2018, 08:21 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Welcome to the forum, but wait...
Originally Posted by Toro's Toy
...1985 4wd pickup...
!!!!
Guys, if we did not help him, he might get tired of this truck and sell it to us! (J/K - LOL!)

...Is there a relay or fuse I can check...
Yes, and you can help us and yourself by:
1) Indicating model-year-engine-transmission-trim on your signature.
2) Putting us in front of that engine and in driver's seat [no we won't steal it ].
a) When you turn ignition on, do you hear a click behind the driver side kick panel? That's the main EFI relay.
b) When you crank do you hear a click behind the glove compartment? That's the Circuit Opening relay. This is how it works.
c) IF you have the connector below, AND can hear the main EFI relay click. Turn on ignition, jump the two terminals of that connector (please post picture of connector and wires to help others), and you should hear/feel the fuel pump running.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 01-16-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:43 AM

Thank you all for all this information. I am more encouraged than I have felt in a week!! Now I've got about 5 inches of snow and a high of 9 degrees to slow me down. Sorry I neglected to mention all the details, its a 1985 4wd 5 speed 22r. I will have to work on getting some pictures. I'm extremely challenged when it comes to the internet, but will try to figure it out. The temperature is supposed to be above freezing in a couple of days, and I am going to put all this information to good use. Thanks you guys. I'm glad I picked this site. I ran across it when I was trying to find the fuel filter.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:01 PM

SUCCESS!!!! I followed all your suggestions and within 15 minutes had my truck running like a champ! I am so glad I found this site! And look forward to being a part of it from now on. This is my first Toyota and I have to say I'm feeling extremely lucky to have found it. It was covered with a tarp on a jobsite I working on and I had to convince the home owner to sell it to me. I got him down to $600, had a $100 tow bill and $288 in parts. I feel like $1000 is a good investment in a vehicle that I'm hopeful will last me several years. It has 200095 miles showing and everything I've read about and have heard about Toyotas that's just getting started. I'm strict about maintenance and upkeep on my vehicles and having this website to come to with any other issues that may arise I'm feeling confident with my choice to buy my first Toyota. As soon as I can get my wife to take some pictures I will get them posted. Thanks again for all the help getting it on the road!!!
Old 01-22-2018, 07:46 PM

We're happy to help.
May we ask you what you did and what part did that make work? It would help other members in the future.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:25 PM

Well this is not only my first Toyota but also my first fuel injected vehicle so my past experience told me that the logical solution to getting it started after replacing the gas tank was to spray gas into the throttle body until it picked up enough to idle; and I was still spraying gas into the throttle body. After I read your suggestions I realized that it was just sucking air and once I hooked all the intake piping back up, viola! And I've got to tell you. I'm loving this truck! There are still a few kinks to be worked out, after all it was parked for 6 years. My last vehicle was a Dodge utility van (I will NEVER own another!) and the best thing I can say about it is it kept my tools dry. This truck is so much fun to drive!! So much fun that it might take awhile to get any pictures posted!!! Thanks again! Hope this info can help somebody else!!! Toro's Toy
Old 01-24-2018, 09:58 PM

!