86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tow 13 ft Scamp with 22re?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tow 13 ft Scamp with 22re?

I have read thread after thread regarding towing with the 22re but there seems to be no particular consensus.

I have an 87 4Runner with the 22re/5-speed. The motor has 210k miles but pulls very strong and burns no oil. I have 32s but recently swapped my gears for 4.88s which seems to have made a massive difference pulling passes in Colorado.

I would like to tow a 13ft Scamp fiberglass camper from Denver to Moab. This trip involves pulling two sustained passes at close to 12k feet. The Scamp 13 weighs between 1000 to 1500lbs depending on how it’s equipped.

I understand that the peak torque for these motors is around 3,500rpm and the motor seems to like climbing at this rpm. I understand how to keep the truck in a happy gear and go slow if needed and the importance of engine braking downhill to save my brakes.

I have heard folks say the absolute upper limit for towing with the 22re is 2k lbs, and then I’ve heard folks say that it will do it all day every day with no problem. Any input/real world experience?
Old 11-29-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Many on here (including myself) have pulled trailers with similar trucks. I would look into getting a sway bar and trailer brakes.

One big thing to look out for is wind. A good gust can move a light-body camper fairly easily. (one of the reasons for a sway bar)

I'm sure it can be done, and you sound prepared.

Got any pictures?
Old 11-29-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It would never be my first choice to Tow anything .

To many miles of real world experience

But sometimes we have to run with what we own.

If your careful and take your time you most likely will be fine.

If at all possible stay off the Interstates!!! You don`t want to run that hard and fast.

Van trailers passing at 20 to 25mph or more faster then you will blow that trailer all over the road making things very interesting

I pulled a Toyota 4x4 pick up about 250 miles It will take you quite a lot longer then what you might think

People will tell you your #1 Blow the Horn etc!!

Drive your own Game

Remember mechanical things do break most often at the worst time

So be equipped to be comfortable in a cold vehicle in the middle Colorado or Utah with the cooler weather coming
Old 11-29-2017, 05:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I really like those Scamp campers, seen a few on the road. Even if maybe not the best idea, I sure wish I was doing what you're about to do.

I've pulled a big zero-turn mower with some other equipment on a 6'x 8' utility trailer that was ~2000 lbs. I could hardly tell it was back there, but the area was flat and I never hit the highway. I imagine 3rd gear will be your friend going up the mountain at around 55 mph. Have you changed the tranny fluid recently? A synthetic like Redline mt-90 has good cooling properties.

What condition are your brakes in? If you have vented rotors and ifs-style calipers in good shape you should be ok as long as you always keep an eye way down the road so you don't have to slam the brakes and get yourself into a mess.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:03 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
I've pulled my 2500lb pop-up with my '94 3vze across Colorado several times. It works OK, not fast, but gets the job done safely. The thing to realize is that, although your truck is underpowered by modern standards, it's not a lightweight, and will have no trouble controlling that size trailer. Your nearly 4000lb 4runner will outweigh your trailer by 2:1, which is a comfortable ratio.

Don't count on doing 55 in 3rd gear on the tunnel approaches or on the west side of Vail Pass, though. My guess is you'll be doing more like 40 in 2nd, at about 4000 rpm. Nothing wrong with that, just be prepared for people to want to get in front of you.

There's really no good way to get to Moab from Denver without taking I-70. Try to go during an off time period if you can, to avoid holding up traffic. On the other hand, semis do 40 mph on those hills all the time, and the traffic works around that.

I'd say go for it. You sound like you understand what you're getting into. Just put some good music on the CD player, grab a cup of coffee, and enjoy the ride and the scenery.
It should go fine, if you can avoid icy weather. That makes trailer pulling a whole new adventure.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the input guys! Researching the RVs that are based on the yota truck chassis has given me a lot of confidence. I have seen multiple threads talking about how fully loaded Toyota truck RVs are weighing in at 6000lbs or more. A lot of them are using the 22r as well. Granted a lot of those RVs have one ton tear axles but my concern isn’t overloading my rear axle. I have the V6 rear end with 4.88 gears. My big concerns for towing are burning up my motor or trans. That doesn’t seem likely. I still haven’t bought the scamp but I’m going to buy a used one and do a full gut. I know it’s optimistic but I want the trailer to weigh in at 1000lbs. We shall see. I will keep y’all updated.