Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

New Tires; any suggestions?

Old 11-24-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tires; any suggestions?

Need to get new tires for my 1989 Toyota pick up truck 4x4 V6.
I have had Goodyear All Terrain tires on there for a little more than a decade but pretty sure I can do better. They have always skid in the rain.
I want to feel more glued to the ground.

Open to any suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jgcalifornia
Need to get new tires for my 1989 Toyota pick up truck 4x4 V6.
I have had Goodyear All Terrain tires on there for a little more than a decade but pretty sure I can do better. They have always skid in the rain.
I want to feel more glued to the ground.

Open to any suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Not much advice from me. More concerned with Offroad traction and tread life. I drive slow on road.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by muddpigg
Not much advice from me. More concerned with Offroad traction and tread life. I drive slow on road.
Would tires that offer good traction off road be considered equally as good for the road? Lots of stop and go in Los Angeles but by no means are the streets a smooth ride.
I never expected the Goodyear tires to skid as much as they did in the rain.
Thanks
Old 11-24-2017, 11:18 AM

Would tires that offer good traction off road be considered equally as good for the road? Lots of stop and go in Los Angeles but by no means are the streets a smooth ride.
Thanks
becomes a trade, the more aggressive the tread the more road noise. Generally less tread life, perhaps less mpg, though my experiences not much between BFG A/T and BFG KM2. But many different A/T options.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:19 AM

Thanks
becomes a trade, the more aggressive the tread the more road noise. Generally less tread life, perhaps less mpg, though my experiences not much between BFG A/T and BFG KM2. But many different A/T options.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:34 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you want a rain tire that is what you should look into

Good Year or Firestone makes just a rain tire or they did.

Easy to slide through intersections driving to fast for conditions with fresh rain
Old 11-26-2017, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can look into getting a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's, unless that's what you currently have. The treads have lots of siping for improved grip on low-traction terrain like wet roads, snow, and ice. There are many positive reviews on the Duratrac's to back this up.

With their relatively large tread blocks, the Duratrac's are on the more aggressive side of all-terrain tires, being more like a half-mud, half-all-terrain tire except they're designed to last longer on the road than full-fledged mud tires.

I run a set of Duratrac's on my '86 Hilux/Pickup 4x4. They're still new with only a few hundred miles on them, but they've been fantastic for me both on and off the road; they handled mud better than I expected on my last wheeling trip. I haven't gotten a chance to try the tires in the rain yet though, let alone snow or ice (I live in north Texas, so snowy/icy roads are rare here). They ride smoothly but are a bit noisier on the road than other all-terrain tires.

Last edited by ToyoKev86; 11-26-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Search this Thread