Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Flipped my 4runner, What should I do?

Old 11-19-2017, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flipped my 4runner, What should I do?

Hey guys I flipped my 90' 4runner (22re 5spd). Luckily I walked away with no injuries. I was going about 75km/h when I hit a patch of black ice through a gentle curve on the highway, It was warm and raining earlier in the day so the roads were clear... just a little wet but temps dropped and the road froze over in no time. The real bad part about this was that this was my final drive before I was planning on parking it for the winter. It's a summer bush rig, I have a car as a daily. I was literally out to get gas/stabilizer and engine fog then back home to park it! I managed to crawl out of this

Anyway should I bother even bringing this home? Front windows are all smashed and the head room area is all caved in.Flipped 2 or 3 times so body is mangled. Not sure if it's worth it to part out since I live in an area where these trucks aren't too popular but should I try posting parts online?? Lots of new parts that Ive put in over the last 2 years. I'm in British Columbia Canada.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-20-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Glad you walked away!!

Only you know what it is worth doing.

Depending on time and and space it might make an interesting project find another one the same year swap all the aftermarket parts to the new one.

This is only practical if your able to do all the work yourself

Happy with the insurance offer ?? Then walk away.

One needs to be aware of ever changing road conditions
Old 11-20-2017, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Glad you walked away!!

Only you know what it is worth doing.

Depending on time and and space it might make an interesting project find another one the same year swap all the aftermarket parts to the new one.

This is only practical if your able to do all the work yourself

Happy with the insurance offer ?? Then walk away.

One needs to be aware of ever changing road conditions
Insurance offer is 0. Didn't have collision on this since it's parked 90% of the time and I mainly take it on back country roads. It's gonna run me about $1000 to recover+tow so I think I might as well take it home, and either part it out or swap as much as I can into another 4runner/truck.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:25 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
That really sucks!!! Very glad you walked away!!!

i’ve got 2 driving teens and will use your story as a learning point.

Like wyoming said lots to consider but being you have another car that opens up options.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:21 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
parts outs are a pain, they can take awhile to sell and than you end up with a shell that is a PITA to get rid of
somebody buys the axles or a control arm and you end up having to have it towed again to a junkyard unless you have a place lke the local u pull it that will pick it up for free
it took me an hour to get the shell of my 81 up on a trailer. and with the engine at the back I had to use a chunk of concrete as a counterweight on the trailer tongue to get a 60/40 weight split
Originally Posted by dropzone
i have had a few messages/emails about the Trekker.
after pulling about everything off of it I could either use in the 94, sell or give to friends to use, the shell of the truck was loaded up

2017-07-24_10-21-54 by ocdropzone, on Flickr

IMG_20170712_195411_133 by ocdropzone, on Flickr
it ended up down at a shop that does Lexus engine conversions to use for UZ engine mock ups
Old 11-21-2017, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
That really sucks!!! Very glad you walked away!!!

i’ve got 2 driving teens and will use your story as a learning point.

Like wyoming said lots to consider but being you have another car that opens up options.
Thanks! And make sure they have winter tires!!

Originally Posted by dropzone
parts outs are a pain, they can take awhile to sell and than you end up with a shell that is a PITA to get rid of
somebody buys the axles or a control arm and you end up having to have it towed again to a junkyard unless you have a place lke the local u pull it that will pick it up for free
it took me an hour to get the shell of my 81 up on a trailer. and with the engine at the back I had to use a chunk of concrete as a counterweight on the trailer tongue to get a 60/40 weight split
So I got her home. Figured I'd might as well keep it around til I can find another one with a half decent body that I can swap all my parts into. With that being said most parts should be able to work on any truck/4runner from 87 to 95 right?
Old 11-21-2017, 11:55 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just remember the rear suspension parts are different

other little odds and ends as well
Old 11-23-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just remember the rear suspension parts are different

other little odds and ends as well
Well im in luck. Found a mint condition 4runner with a blow engine only an hr away from me.

Also got the engine running. Cleaned up as much of the oil that leaked into throttle/intake but some seeped into the cylinder. Made sure to bump the engine with the staryer without sparkplugs to shootbout some oil out but its still blowing lots of smoke. Should I just let it idle until the smoke clears up? Or is there something else I should do?
Old 11-23-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Chest check all the fluid levels and make sure the cooling system is still intact. Let it warm up. The smoke should clear and all will be fine. If it's too much oil it might foul a plug but that's really about all that it'll hurt.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kolton5543
Chest check all the fluid levels and make sure the cooling system is still intact. Let it warm up. The smoke should clear and all will be fine. If it's too much oil it might foul a plug but that's really about all that it'll hurt.
Had it going for a few minutes but I figured I would leave the cylinders all oily since it will be sitting all winter.

On a side note I noticed that my engine is not ticking like it used to. It's basically gone haha Wondering if the oil sitting under the cylinders had anything to do with it. Maybe the wrist pins aren't getting enough lube?
Old 11-24-2017, 06:05 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by mattyboi
Well im in luck. Found a mint condition 4runner with a blow engine only an hr away from me.
Nice! good luck on the swap

Search this Thread