Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

2RZ Carby, is it feedback controlled

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2RZ Carby, is it feedback controlled

Hey all, i didnt know where else to turn, im looking for information on the Toyota 2RZ motor, as i am researching what van to buy next. Looking a ta toyota Hiace 1998 but really want EFI which is very rare.
So im only prepared to go down the route of carby, if it is a true mechanical carburetor, and not any of this electronic feedback carby nonsense with O2 sensor and fuel mixture solenoid. There's just too much that can go wrong with feedback type carbs.
Anyone in these forums have a carbyd 2RZ and able to tell me if their car has an O2 sensor? That should answer my question.
Carburetors should be mechanical only, thats the beauty of them.

Thanks all.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:47 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Hummm...

I didn't know Toyota made carbureted 2RZ engines. All we have here in the U.S. are EFI 2RZ engines in Toyota Tacoma 2 wheel drive pickup trucks.

I guess my knowledge is limited to U.S. models.

Are you from Australia?

1998 is at the end of carbureted vehicles. I wouldn't be surprised if if this engine has a feedback system, however, it all depends on emissions regulations.

The electronic feedback systems were made to meet emissions requirements that would have been difficult to meet without the electrical "add-on" feedback systems.

Maybe someone else here knows?

Old 11-11-2017, 05:10 PM

yep im an aussie.
We got the carbies up till 1997 in toyota hiace vans used by commercial tradesmen.
Insane right??
in my opinion, a carby is great when it isa carby, u dont have all the problems of sensors adn electronics.
however, EFI is great because you dont have all the troubles of routine cleaning out the gunk in the carb passages.
To go and design a system which takes the worst of both is just plain stupid.
I just got rid of a mitsubishi L300 express van which had a cracked exhaust manifold which leaked air to the O2 sensor which played havoc with the fuel solenoid, so i had to permanently wire the mixture solenoid on. (it regulates air bleed into the primary fuel circuit, as opposed to a n ani dieseling solenoid which turns off fuel and air bleed all together)
I simply couldn't get a new exhaust manifold for it, short of having a racing extractors made up for thousands of dollars. which is absolutely stupid for a work van.
I tried exhaust repair, and even brazing. There is no way to repair a cast iron manifold.
Lesson learned, stay away from stupid engineering.
Really thought this was a global forum. .com shouldnt equal .dot USA
Old 11-18-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
We have many global members on here. Toyota is a world wild cult.... I’m a member.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:34 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
This is a global forum. We do have members from all over the world on YotaTech. It just so happens that the most active members are in the US and Canada so our knowledge base tends to be larger in the North American market.

If I knew more about these vans and engines, I would love to help, but you probably know more about these vans than I do.

I think it is pretty cool to see what came factory in Toyota vehicles all over the world and how basically the same model can have very different features and based on what the market is for.

I hope you find out the information you are looking for!

Old 11-20-2017, 02:44 AM

well i thought it would only be polite to come back and post my findings.
i ended up paying toyota-tech.eu a subacription fee just to get access to their online manufacturer repair manuals. i paid 3 euros and had one hour access to download as much as i could. that was hilarious seeings as a flimsy haymes or gregories manual costs about 60 dollars and a genuine toyota manual is even more. so for that 3 euro, i just leeched it all. haha.
i strongly recommend doing it. perhaps everyone allready knows this, maybe this sites name is affiliated with it.
i now have every toyota manual ever made. but i wont start dishing it out as that would be a quick way to ens up in the ˟˟˟˟.
the site has no antiscraping technology in place and is hosted on a fast server. so within that hour i downloaded the engine manuals for every one of their carburetted vehicles.
Long story short, the 2rz is a nice simple non feedback carb but does have a few interesting electronic features, like a deceleration fuel cut system, which closes the idle solenoid (anti deisel solenoid) when engine is over 2000 rpm but additionally, only when manifold vacuum is higher than 22 inches hg.
so u dont suck fuel into the engine with no air on throttle closed deceleration.

but the absence of a stupid feedback ayatem is fantastic!!