Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Replacement Mirror Insert Glass for SR5 Power Mirror

Old 11-07-2017, 05:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Replacement Mirror Insert Glass for SR5 Power Mirror

Does anyone know how to find one of these? The PO put what looks like a random size mirror (likely from a salvage yard) onto the SR5 Power Mirror assembly. Ebay and Amazon are full of Manual ones, but not power. Power mirrors work fine, so would really like to keep them but need a Drivers Side Mirror glass that actually fits.

Any ideas? I've searched schematics and cannot even find the mirror part number (only housing part numbers).

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:11 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
87947-89146
https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/p/T...794789146.html

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dl...?q=87947-89146

I have some internal wear on both of my mirrors, and would be willing to buy either a left or right if you found the mirror assembly at an achievable price.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
87947-89146
https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/p/T...794789146.html

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dl...?q=87947-89146

I have some internal wear on both of my mirrors, and would be willing to buy either a left or right if you found the mirror assembly at an achievable price.
First link says it fits a 1994, not a 1987. Here's the schematic I was trying to use:
https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/sho...category=21647

The second link - if you click on the specs below - shows 1988-1995.

How do I know if any of these links or part numbers will fit a 1987 SR5?
Old 11-07-2017, 06:22 AM

It's hard to tell by the description. Is this the actual glass mirror part for Drivers side that I should be looking for:

MIRROR SUB-ASSY, OUTER REAR VIEW, LH

If so, is this the correct part number:
https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/p/T...796189136.html

And if so, is this a feasible replacement one for $40:
https://www.oemautopartsandaccessori...dacb643983d82/
Old 11-07-2017, 06:54 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
I can't improve on your research; the part number looks correct to me.

But since Toyota no longer stocks the part, you might try to place the order and then be disappointed (doesn't hurt to try). In that case, consider
https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dl...-lh-8796189136

I've ordered from them (I had to replace 5th gear in my Suzuki, and while most of the parts came from Saudi Arabia (!!) the rest came from Megazip.) It takes about 2 weeks to get to the US, but other than that the ordering was fine.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
I can't improve on your research; the part number looks correct to me.

But since Toyota no longer stocks the part, you might try to place the order and then be disappointed (doesn't hurt to try). In that case, consider
https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dl...-lh-8796189136

I've ordered from them (I had to replace 5th gear in my Suzuki, and while most of the parts came from Saudi Arabia (!!) the rest came from Megazip.) It takes about 2 weeks to get to the US, but other than that the ordering was fine.
Shipping from Japan was too high on Megazip. I placed order at OEM Auto Parts instead. Fingers crossed they have it in stock and it is actually what i need. If not, I'll be ordering from Megazip instead.

Last edited by Charles4x4; 11-07-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Charles4x4
Shipping from Japan was too high on Megazip. I placed order at OEM Auto Parts instead. Fingers crossed they have it in stock and it is actually what i need. If not, I'll be ordering from Megazip instead.
OEM Auto ended up not having this (and it took them 2-weeks to let me know). Trying Megazip now.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:54 PM

Update: Megazip cancelled my order after 2-days saying the part was now discontinued in Japan too.

So I’m back to square one.

After reading other threads, I called 10 local mirror/glass shops and 1 said they could cut one for me. I took the mirror with me, but the owner warned me that cutting a standard mirror would make the drivers mirror look very different from the passenger mirror and literally wanted me to sign a waiver as it is somewhat illegal to cut a standard mirror for an automotive application. I may check with a few more places, but really want to find an OEM replacement somehow.

Ebay has a used full D/P set for $160, which is much more than I want to spend considering I only need the Drivers glass and don’t want to deal with reselling the rest.

Any ideas?
Old 11-21-2017, 09:21 PM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Update: Megazip cancelled my order after 2-days saying the part was now discontinued in Japan too.

After reading other threads, I called 10 local mirror/glass shops and 1 said they could cut one for me. I took the mirror with me, but the owner warned me that cutting a standard mirror would make the drivers mirror look very different from the passenger mirror and literally wanted me to sign a waiver as it is somewhat illegal to cut a standard mirror for an automotive application. I may check with a few more places, but really want to find an OEM replacement somehow.

Ebay has a used full D/P set for $160, which is much more than I want to spend considering I only need the Drivers glass and don’t want to deal with reselling the rest.

Any ideas?
This guy's selling the passenger side replacement glass, maybe he has the drivers one also, have you asked him? Maybe he can help you in other way:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-M....c100033.m2042
Old 11-21-2017, 09:35 PM

Any ideas?
Other option's buy a replacement glass for another truck with bigger glass and cut it the size you need. That'll be a legal vehicle mirror. I don't know, writing ideas, trying to help.

Last edited by SomedayJ; 11-21-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by SomedayJ
This guy's selling the passenger side replacement glass, maybe he has the drivers one also, have you asked him? Maybe he can help you in other way:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-M....c100033.m2042
Thanks but that one is for Manual mirrors, not Power SR5. Lots of Manual options - but Power are extinct!
Old 11-22-2017, 06:23 AM

Thanks but that one is for Manual mirrors, not Power SR5. Lots of Manual options - but Power are extinct!
Extinct!? They're still alive, they're just hard to find, in fact, I have a pair ready to install. I'm going to take a photo with the manual and power mirror together to check the size difference. I'm going to upload that photo.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:25 AM

Extinct!? They're still alive, they're just hard to find, in fact, I have a pair ready to install. I'm going to take a photo with the manual and power mirror together to check the size difference. I'm going to upload that photo.
That would be great - thanks for the help. If a Manual one is slightly larger, maybe someone could cut it down to fit.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:42 AM

That would be great - thanks for the help. If a Manual one is slightly larger, maybe someone could cut it down to fit.
The photo's not conclusive, it looks like the power one (top)'s smaller than the manual, but I can't tell for sure, maybe the angle's not the same in both mirrors, beside that we don't have decent light in the garage at the moment. If you can wait I can take more photos during daytime next weekend, even better, I can draw a 'pattern'(?) on paper around the power one glass to see if it fits in the manual one, that way we'll know exactly if you can buy the manual glass to cut and replace yours. Give a couple of days.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:01 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I would make a paper template and go to the junk yard and find one that is close to size or bigger and cut to fit.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by se7enine
I would make a paper template and go to the junk yard and find one that is close to size or bigger and cut to fit.
That's what I wanted to say, a paper template. English's not my forte, sorry for that!
Old 11-22-2017, 11:19 AM

The photo's not conclusive, it looks like the power one (top)'s smaller than the manual, but I can't tell for sure, maybe the angle's not the same in both mirrors, beside that we don't have decent light in the garage at the moment. If you can wait I can take more photos during daytime next weekend, even better, I can draw a 'pattern'(?) on paper around the power one glass to see if it fits in the manual one, that way we'll know exactly if you can buy the manual glass to cut and replace yours. Give a couple of days.
Extremely helpful - they are more different than I had expected.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by se7enine
The glass/mirror guy said cutting it may mess it up - surely not right? If cutting it is fine, I can take my drivers insert (what glass sits in) to junkyard and find one slightly larger to cut.

Just wish someone made replacement glass glass for the Power mirrors, which I know are much rarer than Manual and maybe there isn’t enough demand for them.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
The glass/mirror guy said cutting it may mess it up - surely not right? If cutting it is fine, I can take my drivers insert (what glass sits in) to junkyard and find one slightly larger to cut.

Just wish someone made replacement glass glass for the Power mirrors, which I know are much rarer than Manual and maybe there isn’t enough demand for them.
The glass guy probably doesn't want to mess up the reflective backing on the glass. I don't really know though; I am not a glass guy! The driver's side mirror should be easier to make than the passenger side mirror as the driver's side mirror is a flat piece of glass where the passenger side has a slight convex curve to it to help with blind spots. This curve distorts the image you see in the mirror a little, which is why you always see "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" on the passenger side mirror.

I think the demand for replacement power mirrors is really low in the overall big picture of companies that make aftermarket parts, considering the rarity of them from the factory. Also, most people want to fix these trucks "on the cheap", which often means broken power mirrors get replaced with the cheap ebay manual mirrors. This sucks for the people who want to do a factory restoration with all of the factory options. Maybe the increased interest of these trucks as classic vehicles instead of the weekend beater truck may change that. Or at least I can hope!

Old 11-25-2017, 03:33 AM

Extremely helpful - they are more different than I had expected.
This is my power mirror with the paper template of the glass:

This is my manual mirror:

and this is the paper template of the power mirror glass compared with the manual mirror glass:

Again, the photos're not conclusive. The manual mirror has some black 'border' that hold the glass in its place, probably the glass's even bigger. I'd try the replacement for the manual mirror's if it's not expensive, I think you can reshape it with a sanding machine, you don't have to cut. Let me know how you solve it.
I hope this can help.

Search this Thread