86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re won't idle

1987 4runner 22re won't hold its idle. Put new ECU in and ran great for 110 miles, then idle issues back. Note at 60 miles the AT dash light stopped showing up on with key in start possision (got 27 miles when I replaced igniter first time at pro shop..took them 3 months.)
I probably should add 80,000 on jasper motor good comp.new plugs,wires & cap TOOK to
shop they couldn't find reason for idle issue other than suspect igniter and they plugged off EGR drove fine home 27hwy miles got off fwyback to stallsvile.
Auto trany OD solenoid went bad aswell. Replaced all 3 and put back together got 12 trouble free miles bought my tabs & back to stalling at idle.
shop was thinking ECU Maybe.. so put reman. ECU in but 110 mile later stalling again.
1500 rpm will keep her going but try driving is not easy

Last edited by Mntbiker; 10-20-2017 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Not enough info
Old 10-20-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Mntbiker
1987 4runner 22re won't hold its idle. Put new ECU in and ran great for 110 miles, then idle issues back. Note at 60 miles the AT dash light stopped showing up on with key in start possision (got 27 miles when I replaced igniter first time at pro shop..took them 3 months.)
good story. But we are going to need more detailed information if you want input..
Old 10-20-2017, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
good story. But we are going to need more detailed information if you want input..
guess i edited instead of replying... newbies
Old 10-21-2017, 06:03 AM

Idle misery

[QUOTE=Mntbiker;52380032]guess i edited instead of replying... newbies[/QUOT
all vacuums line changed..no help & hooked backup the EGR.. no help Im pretty sure the shop checked all sensors when they had for 3 months also said i had fuel pressure. All injectors cleaned & flow checked good .. 1500 rpm and beond keeps it running fine... wish I had a clutch I could just Dukes of hazard it around lol
Old 10-21-2017, 07:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Did the shop you took it to actually say

ECU Maybe.. so put reman.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:43 AM

The ECU was their next thousand draw from my pocket..RELIABLE shop but now the art of OB1 gone from shops these days.. me thinks only paid 3200 for rig now have sent that for trouble shooting & igniter..
Old 10-22-2017, 09:45 AM

Basic math.. time x part = $$$
Old 10-22-2017, 10:34 AM

You could have an air leak between the air meter and throttle plate, this shuts off the fuel pump. Simple test is to put the fuel pump jumper on.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
You could have an air leak between the air meter and throttle plate, this shuts off the fuel pump. Simple test is to put the fuel pump jumper on.
the jumper did nothing for problem. Good lead any others.
Could a previous car alarm installed have done me wrong.. PO had a couple in it, I ttried my best to clear them out
another note AT oil temp light came back on restart from batt being discounted
Old 10-23-2017, 10:05 AM

the jumper did nothing for problem. Good lead any others.
Could a previous car alarm installed have done me wrong.. PO had a couple in it, I ttried my best to clear them out
another note AT oil temp light came back on restart from batt being discounted
Battery disconnected that should read..found bad gasket on air filter don't remember putting in a NAPA but this has gone on for 4+ years.. good reason for multi cars
Old 10-25-2017, 04:55 PM

Battery disconnected that should read..found bad gasket on air filter don't remember putting in a NAPA but this has gone on for 4+ years.. good reason for multi cars
New air filter & gas cap in today was going to swap out fuel filter as well but lost crush washers..ordered new couple days didn't really want to change, seeing how shop said didn't need too. I can understand why it looks in good/great shape from outside. Wonder how she is inside.
Need new ohm meter broke mine yesterday comparing used igniter and new shop installed unit. Will have to redo testing on components can't find any of my notes pre-Shop time.
Not to loose face now but but Suzuki used to have similar idle issues, and I'd just change filters,blow fuel lines back to tank til i heard bubbling, afraid to try that on my runner..
Old 10-28-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a similar problem on my '94 22RE PU. Turned out the rubber bellows on the throttle body had a big crack on the bottom. Took a while to find that.

Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 10-28-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry Forrester
I had a similar problem on my '94 22RE PU. Turned out the rubber bellows on the throttle body had a big crack on the bottom. Took a while to find that.
shop wrapped bellows with electrical tape..today I used a innertube from a fat tire bike (26" x 4") cut to fit in length and inserted bellows cleaner looking but to no avail.
she did idle for 10 minutes today. Cleaned air box, changed filter (air still waiting on fuel ) put new gas cap on started and idled for 10 minutes (wasn't chancing a drive) sure nuf idle stumbles and dies. Tried jumper (Fp B+) nada dif.
Does painless make wiring harness for these still?
should I swap out to carb and be done with it?
Old 10-28-2017, 05:54 PM

shop wrapped bellows with electrical tape..today I used a innertube from a fat tire bike (26" x 4") cut to fit in length and inserted bellows cleaner looking but to no avail.
she did idle for 10 minutes today. Cleaned air box, changed filter (air still waiting on fuel ) put new gas cap on started and idled for 10 minutes (wasn't chancing a drive) sure nuf idle stumbles and dies. Tried jumper (Fp B+) nada dif.
Does painless make wiring harness for these still?
should I swap out to carb and be done with it?
Does anyone know of a 1st gen yota guru in the Seattle area for hire or help..?
Old 10-29-2017, 11:28 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
There can not be ANY cracks or leaks in the pipe/ tubing running between the afm and the throttle body. If there is electrical tape on any of this it must be replaced! These engines are very sensitive to air leaks.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by superex87
There can not be ANY cracks or leaks in the pipe/ tubing running between the afm and the throttle body. If there is electrical tape on any of this it must be replaced! These engines are very sensitive to air leaks.

That's a little dramatic I say, mine ran with this for months..
Old 10-29-2017, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by superex87
well it sure feels like vacuum, will order new bellows Monday when I pick up fuel filter. Hope dealer still has access to these. Miss my 4runner and my Mazda must have read this thread, it's starting to display same issue once it warms up to temp.wanted to sell tribute not fix it.. OBD2 should easier to diagnose 2006
Old 10-29-2017, 02:43 PM

well it sure feels like vacuum, will order new bellows Monday when I pick up fuel filter. Hope dealer still has access to these. Miss my 4runner and my Mazda must have read this thread, it's starting to display same issue once it warms up to temp.wanted to sell tribute not fix it.. OBD2 should easier to diagnose 2006
Read on another site that temp & other sensors threads need to be cleaned for grounding..
Anything to this? Only 80000 on motor not sure on sensors 249000 on rig shes a pretty clean NW stock Rig. Other then the 3 different car alarms I extracted when I got her...Guess one would go out & he'd put in another,??
Old 10-29-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you had the valves adjusted? Thats what caused my idle problem.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by yota tay
Have you had the valves adjusted? Thats what caused my idle problem.
when she runs she runs fine no clatter Every time I disconnect battery for working on this that or the other, she will run good for 30 or better miles transmission solenoids got me 30 mi. Computer got me 110 miles stocking bellows w/innertube got ten minutes good idle. When I got it back from shop got 27miles sure they got some too, otherwise they would have kept for a few more months...

Quick Reply: 22re won't idle