Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What is this and does it need to be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
What is this and does it need to be replaced?

This may be a dumb question, but I this cooler in front of the radiator allows the refrigerant in the A/C system to cool the air before it reaches the radiator. The lines run through the A/C dryer, so I know refrigerant is in there. It’s on a ‘87 22RTE. See pics.

It looks like a PO intentionally cut sections out of it. Does this need to be replaced? If so, with what?

A/C system seems to work fine. Radiator is ok, but I have a new one coming from Amazon since this one is so old. I did have to replace the thermostat recently due to overheating which cause boiling - hince the replacement radiator.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails What is this and does it need to be replaced?-c6df3f24-db36-4c1a-a682-09a55760cdfb.jpeg   What is this and does it need to be replaced?-4179280b-26a3-436d-ab62-2dc9c18f7ec7.jpeg   What is this and does it need to be replaced?-00788f41-8c1a-4a71-92f9-7d215e07b703.jpeg  
Old 10-19-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
you have a brass and copper radiator

If that radiator is brass/copper I would have it rodded out and reuse it. Those are the bomb! The new aluminum and plastic jobs are ... (I am old school though).

It looks like part of the condenser lines have come apart somehow on your A/C system. Look up a condenser for your truck and see where they went before getting loose. Keep in mind if you disconnect the A/C system anywhere you should vacuum it out before reassembly. (note this is not with a shop vacuum).

Upon a further look, It may be an auto trans cooler or power steering cooler, it may still be part of the A/C condenser. Trace the lines to whatever they connect to

Last edited by gandude; 10-19-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
I'm not an A/C expert, but it looks like you have the stock (maybe) condensor, and in front of that another small (3 rows?) cooler. The additional cooler looks to be in sad shape, but if it's not leaking it may still be working. But I don't think it's part of the A/C system. Does the turbo need some sort of cooler?
Old 10-19-2017, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by gandude
If that radiator is brass/copper I would have it rodded out and reuse it. Those are the bomb! The new aluminum and plastic jobs are ... (I am old school though).

It looks like part of the condenser lines have come apart somehow on your A/C system. Look up a condenser for your truck and see where they went before getting loose. Keep in mind if you disconnect the A/C system anywhere you should vacuum it out before reassembly. (note this is not with a shop vacuum).
certainly looks like brass/Cooper inside, metal inside. I may try ridding it out (YouTube makes it look pretty easy) and send back the Amazon one.

Looks like the PO hacked the condenser lines to me. The A/C works fine. I have a vacuum and manifold gauges, but would rather not have to refill the A/C system if not necessary. May try to straighten them out a little and leave it as is.

Thanks for the tip on the radiator - I had heard the old metal and brass/copper ones were solid - glad to hear I can rod it out instead of replacing.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles4x4
certainly looks like brass/Cooper inside, metal inside. I may try ridding it out (YouTube makes it look pretty easy) and send back the Amazon one.
Thanks for the tip on the radiator - I had heard the old metal and brass/copper ones were solid - glad to hear I can rod it out instead of replacing.
Like grandude said, if it's metal get it fixed, (cleaned and repaired) by a radiator shop.
Unless you have a hot dip tank and can solder back the top tank properly, then go for it.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ksti
Like grandude said, if it's metal get it fixed, (cleaned and repaired) by a radiator shop.
Unless you have a hot dip tank and can solder back the top tank properly, then go for it.
I may just drain it out and see how it looks first. From the top, doesn't look too bad. Was only going to replace it since it boiled over 2-3 times a few weeks ago. But Brass/Copper should be fine with all new fluids.

I'm gonna ship the Amazon one back!
Old 10-19-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles4x4
I may just drain it out and see how it looks first. From the top, doesn't look too bad. Was only going to replace it since it boiled over 2-3 times a few weeks ago. But Brass/Copper should be fine with all new fluids.

I'm gonna ship the Amazon one back!
Looking at it from the top is futile, it's needs to be disassembled and core checked for leaks and corrosion.
You could do a pressure check if you have a radiator pressure checker, but they will do that at the rad.shop.

I would be looking at the bottom of it to see if and how bad it's rusted.
Take it in to the rad.shop, atleast they will tell you if its worth fixing.
It would probably take zero maintenance for that metal radiator to be junk.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts

I hope this helps:

The "three row radiator" (Boxed in RED) in front of the condenser is actually part of the condenser and is stock OEM on some 4Runners and I guess turbo trucks too. It was an "expansion" to the main condenser behind the three row section to help dissipate more heat and improve interior cooling.
Denso (Original Equipment Manufacturer) still makes these: https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/19...condenser.html

The "U" shaped lines boxed in blue in the first picture is the power steering cooler.

The line with the green arrow pointing to it is for the A/C.

It appears the condenser is still working, but is in pretty sad shape. If it was my truck, I would replace it at some point.

Last edited by old87yota; 10-19-2017 at 03:03 PM.