Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Federal vs. CA front exhaust pipe??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Federal vs. CA front exhaust pipe??

I have a 2000 Tacoma 2.7 I just installed the mini headers and now my aftermarket front pipe hits the bellhousing when running and wont reach the clamp bracket by an inch or so to keep it stable.. I need a front exhaust pipe to cat thats OEM to insure fit.. Anyone know what the difference is between CA and Federal pipes? The CA goes for around $1000 OEM and the Federal goes for around $200 OEM, Whats the difference? I'ts just a pipe!!! I have a Federal vehicle and salvage yards near me only have CA . Will CA and Fed fit the same? All input is definitely appreciated.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:09 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
What brand aftermarket?

CA vs Fed all comes down to converter efficiency and type. Some models have just a pipe, others have some kind of component welded on, like an upstream oxygen sensor port. CA is more strict with emissions efficiency.

Were you able to compare the old part with the aftermarket replacement?

I went with magnaflow from AutoZone. CA standards for mine. Decent fit and a 5 yr warranty.

Maybe you can fab yourself a holding bracket. They sell little kits I think at the auto parts places.

Last edited by 75w90mantraN; 10-16-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, I'm getting the feeling it has something to do with air/fuel sensor port. I just dont get why OEM CA front pipe with no cat is around $1000 and Fed no cat $200. https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...st-pipe,,17410
I will search for a muffler shop and see if they can bend or give suggestions. The salvage yard pipe is about 20 bucks but it's CA. It would be a simple inexpensive replacement if it fits. Any other input will help. Also. I cant believe the difference in throttle response and sound with the mini header. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:23 PM

The difference in price is due to the amount of precious metals. More in the OEM than aftermarket. If your old one is OEM, cash that baby in to the salvage yard that quotes you the best price!
Old 10-17-2017, 06:32 AM

Haven't heard of anyone being able to mix Fed models with CA emissions parts and vice versa.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 75w90mantraN
Haven't heard of anyone being able to mix Fed models with CA emissions parts and vice versa.
Well, there are reasons for that. The front CA pipe referred to is a pre-cat, whereas the Fed version is indeed, just a pipe. Hence the huge price difference. They are also different lengths and the manifold outlet on the CA is different from the Fed, so the parts won't swap at the front end, anyway. Then, each of the other component parts are different lengths between Fed and CA, so you can't swap individual components. Finally, the rear sensor port is part of the much longer front muffler tube on the Fed, but it's part of the rear cat on the Cali, so you can't swap mufflers, either. Tailpipes are the same though.

Basically the phrase "non-starter" applies here.

Last edited by TheDurk; 10-20-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:56 AM

I figured. I put it out there because the OP was interested in having a muffler shop come up with a way to make it fit. In case the idea was implied that a shop could help with mixing of different cat components, I would think that's one way to lose their license, since emissions is a federal mandate.
But to each his own, since some counties dont require emissions testing, as long as the population of vehicles doesn't increase.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 75w90mantraN
I figured. I put it out there because the OP was interested in having a muffler shop come up with a way to make it fit. In case the idea was implied that a shop could help with mixing of different cat components, I would think that's one way to lose their license, since emissions is a federal mandate.
But to each his own, since some counties dont require emissions testing, as long as the population of vehicles doesn't increase.
Yeah, I was just supporting your statement. Sure, a sufficiently determined shop with cutter, welder and bender can Frankenstein it, but it will set a trouble code and never pass inspection.