Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

86 Pickup electric issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Pickup electric issue

Hi guys, definitely feel like this is a newbie question so thanks for your help and patience. I have a 1986 pickup that I've had for years and either through curiosity or stubbornness I've tried to learn how to fix whatever it's needed. This summer I was traveling for work a ton and it sat pretty much the whole time. It's been about two months since I started it up so I charged the battery, put it back in, turned the key and there was no power. I discovered that the main fuse had blown. I replaced the fuse, checked all the connections and grounds, and still nothing.

Im off to buy a multimeter and keep chasing it down but thought the experts here might notice something stupid I've missed or done. Here's some photos of the main fuse (removed from the fuse box) maybe I reconnected the wires wrong? This is really all I've touched other than the battery.

Thanks guys!

Old 09-21-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Those cable ends look pretty dirty and looks like the nut and bolt on the negative is at it's max for tightening.
You need at least 12.6 volts for a working battery.
Clean up all the battery cable connections and try it again.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Did you maybe short something when removing or replacing the battery ??

Someplace you had a massive current draw .

Rodents chew some wires ?

Get a good positive Battery terminal instead of that emergency one you have on there .

Those tend to cause lots of frustration