General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Frame swaps????

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frame swaps????

I have a 1987 extra cab toyota pick up and the frame is in bad shape due to rust from right at the back of the cab all the way back to the end. I have found a newer model tacoma that i can get that part of the frame from what im wondering is , other than having to swap sides with the gas tank what other changes has been made to the frames between these 2 trucks? If anyone knows that is!
Old 08-18-2017, 08:19 PM

Tacoma came out in late 1995. technically the '96 model. Are you trying to swap your cab and drive line over to a '96 and up frame?
I don't think that the cab mounts are in the same position.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Anything can be done but this will take lots of fabrication !!

Are your skills up to the task

The fuel tank is not so bad it would not need moved but having the exhaust on the wrong side

The cab mounts and bed mounting points are simple

If you have the Skills to do a frame splice and make the transition between the two different size frames you should be just fine

If you have those skills why not make a new rear section for the truck you have .

Pray tell where did you find a Solid Tacoma Frame??
Old 08-19-2017, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You may need to go a couple of hundred miles in your area but there are frames still in the south that can be found. I would find an 84-88 truck and get the rear section or 86-88 complete frame and do a frame swap.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:37 PM

Iaint tryin to do a complete frame swap. Also the reason i dont fabricate a new back half is because i dont have that kind of equipment. and i DO tho have a man who has done these types of things most of his adult life. Changeing the sides with the fuel tnk and changeing sides with the exhaust will not be a problem what i was more particularly asking about was the actual width of the frames and the height and such of the frame rails, if the spring mounts are located in the same place stuff of that nature. If the bed mounts are located in the same place both frames are extra cab frames. Also i am limited on finances!
Old 08-20-2017, 02:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Tacoma 3"x5" inch frame

87 2"x4" frame

Like I said you would have to build a transition between the two different size frames

Bed and Cab mounts are not the same spots

Tacoma spring hangers and shackles closer together than the 87

Then there are the numerous other things that are also going to be different

Your friend is in for quite a lot of work
Old 08-20-2017, 06:13 AM

Thanks. That was the info i was looking for. Guess I will try to find something in the early 90's sense the bed mounts gas tank and all that is just a wrench job with some simple rewiring for the lights! Thanks again!