86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yngbuck19's 1991 Toyota pickup build

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yngbuck19's 1991 Toyota pickup build

Hello all, here is my new to me 1991 toyota reg cab pickup 4x4 auto 122k on the clock. This is the place I'll be sharing photos and info as I go along getting this old truck to run like new again

Last edited by yngbuck19; 07-22-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
more pics and plans!!
Old 07-22-2017, 02:55 PM

So the plan for this truck is to make it as reliable as possible for the three things I will be using it for. 1.Weekend projects
2.Pulling/Towing a pop-up A-frame camper or Small pontoon boat for lake fishing.
3.Driving on the beach in the summer time and general off-roading (no rock climbing or mudding)

To accomplish these things I have many old worn out parts that need to be replaced that are either old and falling apart or not sufficient for reliability under the conditions I will be putting it under.

Order of operations:
1.Tune up DONE
2.Fluids checked and changed
3.CEL cleared
4.Air Conditioning fixed/converted to R134a
5.Check all belts and hoses
6.Install new battery
7.Change out front rotors to vented rotors w/new pads
8.Install rear disc brake conversion kit
9.Install new all metal radiator w/electric fan
10.Install street LRC headers and exhaust
11.Install after market Tow hitch and wiring
12. Install new Tires and TRD beadlock rims.
13.Replace Interior Carpet
14.Replace Bench seat with 60/40 or bucket seats.
15.Remove dents and straighten the bed.
16.Remove Plastic Bed liner
17.Line-X truck bed over the rail
18.Replace locking hubs with Premium Warn locking hubs
19.Replace cracked windshield
20.Replace audio speakers.

And much much more to come later....

Last edited by yngbuck19; 07-22-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:07 PM

Things that have already been done and/or looked at.

1. Before I bought the truck the previous owner told me the CEL was on due to the VAFM gone bad possibly. So I bought a new one of those and installed it and the CEL is still on. A mechanic buddy (Ryan) of mine is having trouble reading the codes.

2. The A/C has not been working and the previous owner had hot wired the Compressor to the battery and a toggle switch under the dash. I ordered a new Compressor and also my mechanic Ryan has done all diagnostic checks of the A/C system and has found the A/C amplifier has gone bad. I ordered a new one from a San Francisco Toyota Dealership.

3. I ordered 4 new NGK V-power spark plugs, Denso wires, Toyota Rotor cap and Button, and a Dry/Non-Oiled AFE brand air filter for a good tune up. While replacing spark plugs Ryan noticed that the #1 cylinder spark plug was cross threaded so he re-tapped the threads and installed the new spark plug in its place. The truck had made what we thought was a vacuum leak sound and it was actually the blow-by from that #1 cylinder.

4. Installed a new set of Hella E Code headlights in the truck and they are much brighter than the old Sylvania stock ones.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:20 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
1: to check the trouble code, jumper e1 and te1 in the diagnostic port with a paper clip or short piece of wire. The cycle the ignition to on and the check engine light should flash and give you a code.

2: hope that fixes it.

3: might want to helicoil that. Or find another head. I'd worry about the plug sealing correctly.

4: those are a huge improvement. Had a set on my old Tacoma for about a week before I picked up a chunk of steel from a big rig while on the freeway.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:55 AM

Update: All A/C parts on this truck are from a 1988 model so that is causing delays getting those parts returned and 1988 A/C parts ordered.

Ordered an OEM toyota oil filter and going to run 15w-40 Rotella and see how it does.

My mechanic said the cross threaded spark plug was originally tight but as soon as it broke loose it was out so the previous owners didn't cross thread it all the way in which could require helicoil or a new head yes. Dodged a bullet there.

Ordered a new grille headlight trim and corner lights along with 20 of those plastic clips that hold the whole grille on to the core support.

My buddy recommends I get new headlight buckets but I'm not sure where to get new ones from. Any ideas?

That's about all I know for now as I'm trying to get it ready by Aug 13th to drive 4hrs down to the beach and do some 4 wheeling.

wish me luck

To be continued....
Old 07-31-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Rockauto.com should have the headlight buckets
Old 09-21-2017, 05:59 PM

Things done recently with the truck:
CEL code turned out to be a O2 sensor gone bad.

1. New LED tail lights from amazon with LED reverse bulbs (SUPER AWESOME)

2. Slight set back with the truck. The Plastic Radiator cracked on the top. Its a slow leak and was caught in time.

3. Ordered a CSF brass radiator on amazon for $237 model # 2314
ordered a flex fan, silicone Radiator hose kit, and 2 stage thermostat from LCE performance.

4. Will install and report how it all went fit wise after next weekend.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:36 PM

Any progress pics? Would like to see the LED tails too
Old 03-05-2018, 04:01 PM

Here's a pic of the boat. 16' Alumacraft Crappie Pro. picked it up for 3250 boat, trailer, and motor
Bought these for a 100 bucks for a set of 4.

Going to mount them on new rubber when I get the funds.

Here's a shot of the new tail lights and new Truck Cap. It's a commercial one with a roof rack and tool box compartment.

The truck is running r
great with the new Radiator and the new Flex Fan and Dual stage T-Stat.

I installed new trailer wiring the Tee in type and afterwards I'm having trouble with The engine RPM's jumping under acceleration when using turn signals.

Pulls the New aluminum bass boat well as long as Over-Drive is turned off.

I also found out I have a Tacoma rear bumper on my truck too. I'm trying to figure out which mounting brackets are holding the bumper on, Tacoma or Pickup model. I want to replace the bumper and put a Draw-tite or similar 2" Tow receiver on the truck pretty soon. Towing from the rusty beat up old bumper is not my favorite!

Last edited by yngbuck19; 03-05-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great, why do you want to switch your aisin hubs for warns. The aisins are very reliable and super easy to rebuild. Nice wheels for $100.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
Looks great, why do you want to switch your aisin hubs for warns. The aisins are very reliable and super easy to rebuild. Nice wheels for $100.
Was going to put Bronze TRD beadlock rims on the truck and I believe warn makes a bronze or gold colored Locking hub assembly. It was just a cosmetic thing I had planned but is not necisary sp? now that I went with the basic tacoma alloys not the bronze Trd Beadlocks.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:22 PM

Finally pulled the trigger on four new Falken Wildpeak AT3 265/75 R16 tires from amazon and a new Tacoma bumper to replace my old rusty one also, I found a towing reciever hitch on amazon for $40 bucks too. That was a lucky find on amazon because the receivers I've been looking at were between $180 and $210.

All of that is going on soon to be ready for the summer. The A/C still needs electrical work but the Compressor, Reciever Dryer, and A/C Code Amplifier have already been replaced.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:05 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
nice dude looks good. thats a solid grab on the wheels and tires. and the hitch. i look forward to seeing the wildpeaks on there. those are the tires i want too.

why not just paint the aisin parts when/if you rebuild the hubs?
Old 05-01-2018, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Genera_lee
nice dude looks good. thats a solid grab on the wheels and tires. and the hitch. i look forward to seeing the wildpeaks on there. those are the tires i want too.

why not just paint the aisin parts when/if you rebuild the hubs?
Thanks for the compliments. I probably will spray them metallic silver to match the new Tacoma alloy wheels. I am also contemplating using a hole saw on the center caps so the front hubs will come through and I can still use the front hub covers/caps that go with the new Tacoma alloys. Has anyone seen that or tried that before?
Old 05-02-2018, 09:40 AM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
That has been done successfully quite a few times. Do it!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:21 AM

Looks like a bird has made its nest under my hood LOL. Toyotas are very safe and reliable vehicles and this bird thought so too!
Old 05-31-2018, 10:57 AM

Finally got all my new parts installed on the truck.

Shed some dead weight like the old spare tire and the old bumper. Installed the Curt 2" Reciever and New Tacoma rear bumper. Oil and filter change. New Tacoma rims and four 265/75 R16 Falken Wildpeaks. They barely run on the front mud flaps when at full lock. I'm super happy with these upgrades. They all fit together well which made it easy.

Last edited by yngbuck19; 05-31-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:27 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Pickup looks great! Very tasteful mods!
Old 06-06-2018, 10:30 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Nice dude looks good with new wheels and tires. Let's see some more pics of that interior!

I have the same blue color in mine, and I'm curious to see what your center console looks like, as I want to build one for my truck here pretty soon. So any detail shots of that would be great!