84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Help with ARB front bumper install

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with ARB front bumper install

So I have been trying to get this ARB on the front of my 1985 4Runner for a while now. Have been working on it on and off since the interior is out. Anyhow, got the front leaf spring bolts flush and now I can't seem to slide the bumper in between the front spring hangers. Anyone else have this problem? The bumper looks to be about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch too wide. Do I just try and bend the leaf spring perches so the bumper can slide in. I really am getting frustrated with this thing.
Attached Thumbnails Help with ARB front bumper install-img_1414.jpg   Help with ARB front bumper install-img_1415.jpg  
Old 06-27-2017, 08:00 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
is this bumper specifically for the 84/85 ARB part 3414090?
i woundn't suggest bending the front spring hanger out of the way, it may weaken it and looking at the design of the mount I am not sure if you can bend it back and get the front spring bolt back in
Been awhile since I had an 84/85, is there a threaded nut or stud mouned in the frame that the ARB mount goes to? it would have to slide in there quite a ways.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
is this bumper specifically for the 84/85 ARB part 3414090?
i woundn't suggest bending the front spring hanger out of the way, it may weaken it and looking at the design of the mount I am not sure if you can bend it back and get the front spring bolt back in
Been awhile since I had an 84/85, is there a threaded nut or stud mouned in the frame that the ARB mount goes to? it would have to slide in there quite a ways.
yup that is the part number. I just can't get the thing to slide in!
Old 06-27-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Would it go if instead of "sliding it in from the front", you instead lined it up on the ground and picked it straight up into position? Slide in vertically rather than horizontally?
Don't bend the hangers, there's gotta be an easier way.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:54 AM

So I called ARB and this is what they sent me. Going to try tonight and see how it goes
Old 07-14-2017, 08:16 AM

Did you get this on? Those instructions are for the 1986+ bumper. I put an ARB on my 85 recently and it was a tight fit to slide it in between the spring hangers, but I coaxed it in with a sledge and block of wood. It does have to slide back along the frame quite a ways. Once I got it in, it bolted right up. I think I had 26" between the inner faces of the spring hangers and it was a tight fit. What do you measure for that clearance?
Old 07-14-2017, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by nvdesertrunner
Did you get this on? Those instructions are for the 1986+ bumper. I put an ARB on my 85 recently and it was a tight fit to slide it in between the spring hangers, but I coaxed it in with a sledge and block of wood. It does have to slide back along the frame quite a ways. Once I got it in, it bolted right up. I think I had 26" between the inner faces of the spring hangers and it was a tight fit. What do you measure for that clearance?
i called ARB and these are the instructions they gave me. They said it also works with the 1985 4Runner. I have slid the bumper up and it looks like it is going to fit. The width between the Spring hangers is 26 inches. How many bolts did you use to mount it?

it looks like there are two bolts on the front of the frame rail. Six bolts underneath the frame rail. Two bolts for the spring hangers and two bolts that go into the frame. Is that correct?
Old 07-14-2017, 02:46 PM

Sounds about right. If you ended up cutting off the OEM bumper's upper brackets per the instructions above, you'll have 2 bolts in the front of the rail. I left those brackets on so I have 4 bolts in front. 6 holes lined up underneath the rail for me, but I just used the 4 biggest bolts (2 outermost on each side) for now. I think the 2 smaller bolts underneath can be used to remount the skid plate, but I haven't got around to that yet. And then the 2 remaining bolts at the way back that go directly into the frame with offset washers. Think I used 10 bolts total.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by nvdesertrunner
Sounds about right. If you ended up cutting off the OEM bumper's upper brackets per the instructions above, you'll have 2 bolts in the front of the rail. I left those brackets on so I have 4 bolts in front. 6 holes lined up underneath the rail for me, but I just used the 4 biggest bolts (2 outermost on each side) for now. I think the 2 smaller bolts underneath can be used to remount the skid plate, but I haven't got around to that yet. And then the 2 remaining bolts at the way back that go directly into the frame with offset washers. Think I used 10 bolts total.
how did you leave those upper brackets on? did you cut the bumper?
Old 07-16-2017, 07:33 PM

For 1984-1985 (ARB #3414090), you do not have to cut the brackets off, despite what ARB sent you earlier. You only have to cut brackets off for 1986+ models (ARB# 3414070). I followed these instructions and it bolted right on, no cutting required: http://store.arbusa.com/Assets/PDF/3414090i.pdf

Good luck!