Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Ignition Switch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ignition Switch Problems

As a lot of us here know, its just a matter of time before the ignition switch on our trucks will wear out (the electrical part). You go to start your truck or 4Runner and nothing happens, you turn the key on and off a few times and if your lucky you can get your truck to start.

I had been having this problem with my 86 4Runner, and last week the ignition switch just died all together. So i started looking on line for a new ignition switch, and one of the places i buy a lot of parts from is Rock Auto, so i checked them out first and i got lucky on the first try.

Normally the ignition switch ranges in price from 60. dollars to around 90. dollars, but Rock Auto was having a close out special on the Beck Arnley ignition switch for my 4Runner for 18. dollars plus shipping, so around 25. dollars total. So i ordered the ignition switch, and recieved it a few days ago, and installed it today.

So with the old ignition switch out i wanted to take it a part to see what exactly goes bad in these things, and i took some pictures.

The first picture is the ignition switch, and as you can see someone in the past has spliced a wire.
http://

In the second picture i took the switch a part, it just unsnaps, and you can see the contacts inside. On black plastic part with the wires attached you can see the copper contacts, those are what wear down and cause the no start problems.

In the third picture you can see the round copper contacts that slide over the contacts in the black plastic part, and after years of use wear down the contacts. None of the contacts were burned or pitted, just worn down to the point were they lost contact and would no longer work.

Last edited by myyota; 08-26-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I had this problem and replaced my switch I also took the old one apart to look at it. Even took some time to clean up the old one with some fine grit sand paper and a really fine file to see if I could make it work again and keep it as a spare. Sadly it was way beyond my help. Only other issue I had when doing this is that a few days later I had the "no start" issue again and ended up installing a "hot shot kit". Now it starts every time.... so far. I honestly think that as the ignition switch goes out over time other components in the system begin to take on more load or wear a little more. Thus my need for the HSK.

Thanks for the pictures, I'm sure others will like the info provided.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:53 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

I would guess if one needed to repair this it could be done with the build up of the points with solder .

How long this would last I have no idea but I have fixed power window switch contacts using a little solder to build up the contacts.

As cheap as a new one is and as long as a repair would take I would just replace but I bet it could be done.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank god for yota tech. Just discovered this issue in the past 2 weeks, and i think mine just went all the way ka-put. So im assuming the switch is a separate part from the ignition where you put the key into?
Old 03-18-2012, 12:16 PM

So, my ignition switch this morning when i tried to start it, clicked a few times, i hit the clutch over ride button, clicked a few times again, then no clicks at all, this is the same problem correct?
Old 02-15-2016, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my problem also. The pictures are gone now. Does anybody know if the op replaced the "ignition Lock Cylinder" or the "Ignition Switch"? I see now RockAuto has the cylinder but not the switch. Thats okay Orielly's and Advance have the switch.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:04 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
I just checked RockAuto for a '94, and they have several Ignition Starter switches under "electrical switch and relay", and several lock cylinders under "ignition". Go figure.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:35 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by noflyzone
This is my problem also. The pictures are gone now. Does anybody know if the op replaced the "ignition Lock Cylinder" or the "Ignition Switch"? I see now RockAuto has the cylinder but not the switch. Thats okay Orielly's and Advance have the switch.
Pls describe ur oroblem better. What truck-year-model are we dealing with?
What did u really see, hear, feel in front of you? Earlier post says it clicked, then later no click. Which one happens to yours? Exactly what clicks and where? There are several parts that click when u try to start the engine.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:25 AM

Replaced ignition

I have a 1999 4Runner that recently was stolen with keys. Igot the vehicle back within hours luckily. I made a duplicate key for the doors and changed the ignition myself. My vehicle drove for a month with no issues. First, I could start it but it wouldn't come out of park. Then it wouldn't start or try to turn over. I had power to my door buzzer, which was chiming faster than normal. I had no dash lights, no power to windows, wipers etc. but, I had lights. I have replaced starter, ignition switch, starter relay, battery etc. after 3 hours or so it would let me start it and it released from park. I drove it again and now, it refuses to start and I am having the same issue power to lights and door buzzer but no dash lights, radio, window controls, etc. could this be due to anti theft mode? Could it be in anti theft mode or lockout mode, due to having two keys and one not being a transponder key? The only transponder key is the ignition, when I open the door with the non transponder and start it with the transponder key would that effect anti theft mode? If the person who stole the vehicle came back to try the original key in ignition would that put vehicle in anti theft mode or lockout mode? Any suggestions please.

Last edited by MistyL; 05-12-2017 at 10:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RAD4Runner (01-01-2023)
Old 05-12-2017, 01:12 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Sorry, MistyL, we're a bunch of cheapskates who don't know nuthing about your fancy modern vehicle.

You should have better luck here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/
Old 06-17-2018, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 2005 toyota 4runner no arranca el motor de arranque esta bien los fusible estan bien, y el relé esta bien.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:24 AM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
My ignition gave me issues for way too long,,,I finally wired a start button so just turn key to on position then put starter button..Watched Youtube today on changing the ignition...well thats quicker than the wiring I did. I have a spare steering column and ignition. Anyone changed the lock cylinder?? is my question. I have the door cylinders to match my spare ignition but as usual trying to avoid work,,,,I have a exhaust pipe on work bench waiting 6 weeks to install on the same '91 Toyota
Old 01-01-2023, 12:37 PM

Happy New Year!
Originally Posted by jazz1
My ignition gave me issues for way too long,,,I finally wired a start button so just turn key to on position then put starter button..
What makes you so sure that your ignition switch is the problem? What model-year-engine-model-trim?

Originally Posted by scope103
... we're a bunch of cheapskates...
LOL!
Old 01-01-2023, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Happy New Year!

What makes you so sure that your ignition switch is the problem? What model-year-engine-model-trim?

LOL!
Turn key nothing happens,,sometimes turn key 30 times before starts so used jump wire starts right now. Many times push started it,,and usually at the most inopportune time...'91 Pickup 22RE Manual transmission 4WD
RAD4Runner (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 07:27 PM

...'91 Pickup 22RE Manual transmission 4WD
Where did you wire your start button? Directly to the srarter solenoid?
Manual transmission should have a starter relay. Have u found yours? Where?
Old 01-01-2023, 08:07 PM

Where did you wire your start button? Directly to the srarter solenoid?
Manual transmission should have a starter relay. Have u found yours? Where?
I was not aware of a relay. The starting issue was so random but when its -30 and no start I wanted a effective solution. Is the starter relay the same as the clutch override? I thought relay either works or not.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:12 PM

...Is the starter relay the same as the clutch override? I thought relay either works or not.
The starter relay on your gen could either be in fuse block in engine compartment or behind driver side kick panel.

When "nothing" happens, absolutely no sound/clicking at all?

I have a write-up on that issue here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...runner-307493/

If starter relay is in engine compartment, need to see if load supply to contact is directly connected to battery, and if ignition ST1 is energizing relay coil. With clutch pressed or clutch safety cancel on.

If starter relay in kick panel power to starter solenoid coil travels too long a distance, u lose power.
Need to add another relay electrically and physically between battery and starter solenoid.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 01-01-2023 at 10:24 PM.
jazz1 (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 02:03 PM

The starter relay on your gen could either be in fuse block in engine compartment or behind driver side kick panel.

When "nothing" happens, absolutely no sound/clicking at all?

I have a write-up on that issue here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...runner-307493/

If starter relay is in engine compartment, need to see if load supply to contact is directly connected to battery, and if ignition ST1 is energizing relay coil. With clutch pressed or clutch safety cancel on.

If starter relay in kick panel power to starter solenoid coil travels too long a distance, u lose power.
Need to add another relay electrically and physically between battery and starter solenoid.

Ya,,when nothing happens its not even the "click" This issue had been going on a few years...starter has been swapped with new one and still occasionally no start so that led me to believe issue was contacts in the ignition switch which I have read is common/normal wear. The truck has 215,000 miles. Of course im open to others ideas and opinions thanks
Old 01-02-2023, 02:38 PM

Ya,,when nothing happens its not even the "click" This issue had been going on a few years...starter has been swapped with new one and still occasionally no start so that led me to believe issue was contacts in the ignition switch which I have read is common/normal wear. The truck has 215,000 miles. Of course im open to others ideas and opinions thanks
Pls find your starter relay and post pics of wires to it. Then we'll go from there.