YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Computer Talk (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f98/)
-   -   What is your primary browser? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f98/what-your-primary-browser-93599/)

BT17R 08-29-2006 12:08 PM

What is your primary browser?

Well, after years of IE and all the updates, I switched to Mozilla Firefox as primary. I hope to have a more secure Internet computer this way. The latest v. 1.5 is faster loading than earlier releases. Really enjoying the tabbed browsing and slick plug-ins. Still using IE for some functions, but for faster, safer, more enjoyable surfing will stay with Firefox until IE7 rolls out.

-- IE

-- Firefox

-- Opera

-- Other, what?

gregbreakseverything 08-29-2006 12:10 PM

I just gave into 'the man' and made IE my main browser again. It works better with other microsoft applications.

Corey 08-29-2006 12:10 PM

I am using Firefox now for a few months, but one thing bugs me.
I can not for the life of me find a bunch of bookmarks I have been saving to a folder called FJ.

I have gone through them all, and I can not find it.
That alone may make me switch back to IE.
I prefer IEs system of bookmarks, even though they are similar.

BT17R 08-29-2006 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
I am using Firefox now for a few months, but one thing bugs me.
I can not for the life of me find a bunch of bookmarks I have been saving to a folder called FJ.

I have gone through them all, and I can not find it.
That alone may make me switch back to IE.
I prefer IEs system of bookmarks, even though they are similar.

Corey, try this. It used to cost $$$, but is currently available as freeware. Very slick GUI, fast, and searches popular email programs.

BTW, with FF tabbed browsing, does it maintain a live connection to all tabs at once? Wondering if it's eating up YotaTech bandwidth while I'm surfing other tabs.

CJM 08-29-2006 01:29 PM

I wont ever use IE if I can help it, FireFox is so much better and easier to use.

That and the security flaws through IE are very bad, I used to build and fix puters for a living and can tell you that IE lets everything through.

Jimmeh 08-29-2006 01:57 PM

I use Fire Fox, but I recently got a beta version for the new IE for my laptop, and to tell the truth, it is starting to look better and better, and I may put it on my main machine as well. It now has tabbed browsing, and an internal pop-up blocker, which for some reason works way better then FF.

Corey 08-29-2006 02:33 PM

This is why I am going back to IE.
Firefox bookmarks suck!
http://www.pnw4runners.com/temp/firefox_bookmarks.jpg

When I bookmark stuff, I put it in FJ Cruiser.
When I try and search for bookmarks, that folder does not show up.

I am use to the tabs now, but I will get them again when Vista comes out, as IE will have it.
I will not run betas on my PC, to much trouble in the past.

I do not know why I can not find my FJ Cruiser folder in my bookmarks.
Can not find it either when you click on manages bookmarks.

A browser is useless to me if I can not access them for later use.

CJM 08-29-2006 04:18 PM

The reason it doesnt show up is you havent added a bookmark into it recently or your using an older firefox version. If you want to add it to that folder all you gotta do is press that smaller button next to the bookmarks pull down tab.

Oh and there is a modifcation that allows you to put all your bookmarks thata re displayed in more than one line.

Corey 08-29-2006 04:30 PM

I am using ver 1.5.0.6 which is the newest I think.
And I also add fresh bookmarks to the FJ folder almost on a daily basis.

My youngest son was just here, and he has the same problem too.

Whenever I bring up the add bookmarks I always double click the FJ folder to put them in there.

Now this is strange.
Under manage, there is the search box at the top.
I type in FJ Cruiser and it finds the folder, but does not show it to me, only the contents.

Only about 7 bookmarks are there, when there should be around 50.
So something is going on here.

I knew I Was gonna regret it when I switched.
Firefox has some cool features, but IE never let down.

dibble9012 08-29-2006 07:17 PM

I'm on a mac, so Safari is my browser, for websites that don't support Safari, I use Camino :)

ldivinag 08-29-2006 07:40 PM

lynx browser

d0ubledown 08-29-2006 08:22 PM

also on a mac. originally used safari, but now im mostly on firefox. IE just plain bites on a mac...no surprise there.

CJM 08-29-2006 08:35 PM

Corey: thats a really odd problem, never ever have I run intot hat one. which leads me to believe its something else thats wrong witht he puter. But if IE works then let it be.

Jimmeh 08-29-2006 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
This is why I am going back to IE.
Firefox bookmarks suck!
http://www.pnw4runners.com/temp/firefox_bookmarks.jpg

When I bookmark stuff, I put it in FJ Cruiser.
When I try and search for bookmarks, that folder does not show up.

I am use to the tabs now, but I will get them again when Vista comes out, as IE will have it.
I will not run betas on my PC, to much trouble in the past.

I do not know why I can not find my FJ Cruiser folder in my bookmarks.
Can not find it either when you click on manages bookmarks.

A browser is useless to me if I can not access them for later use.

I know what you mean about the troubles with Betas...I recently ran the betta for the new office programs that will come with Vista on my laptop, and it completley wiped my entire system of all my saved projects I have been working on. This beta for IE hasn't failed me yet, but I am expecting the unexpected.

doink 08-29-2006 08:44 PM

i used IE. i just downloaded the 7.0 version, and its similar to firefox: tabbed browsing and such..

Tanto 08-30-2006 03:56 AM

Firefox for me. I love how you can just highlight text, right click it, and it will google it for you. :great:

Now if only Firefox was supported by Windows Update...I think I'll have to wait until Hillary Clinton does something I'm impressed by.

calrockx 08-30-2006 08:17 AM

Firefox.
with extensions. like IE tab filter.

if you're gonna use IE, at least use Avant. it's a fancier version of IE, lots more features.

4Mogger 08-30-2006 08:21 AM

safari

calrockx 08-30-2006 08:27 AM

Corey, when you right click a page to bookmark it, and the little bookmark window pops up, you did click the triangle button, right? that'll show a full listing of the bookmark directories

midiwall 08-30-2006 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by BT17R
BTW, with FF tabbed browsing, does it maintain a live connection to all tabs at once? Wondering if it's eating up YotaTech bandwidth while I'm surfing other tabs.

No, the tabs are just an organizational tool. If there's anything "running" on them it's 'cause there's somethng "active" on the page (control, java, javascript, etc).