Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Spintires -- The ultimate off-road challenge!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 06:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Spintires -- The ultimate off-road challenge!

Pretty cool looking game in the works.

Download the demo:
http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/104...echnology-demo

Donate to fund development of this game:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...road-challenge

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-19-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:03 PM

Screenshots

My video card is too weak to handle the demo(properly). Best I can manage from it plays just fine, but is missing the "key ingredient". The mud. It's there, I just can't see it. I get a bunch of solid white pixelation(if that's a word, blocks if it isn't), or nothing, instead. Oh well, I guess I'll need to upgrade. If/when this game ever comes out(and I want to enjoy it...).

Name:  sidewayshillclimb1.png
Views: 133
Size:  1.30 MB
Name:  Hillclimb1.png
Views: 136
Size:  1.26 MB

Lights on...for safety. Can you spot the snorkel?
Name:  Underwater1.png
Views: 122
Size:  1.02 MB
Attached Images
File Type: png
sidewayshillclimb1.png (1.30 MB, 50 views)
Hillclimb1.png (1.26 MB, 89 views)
Underwater1.png (1.02 MB, 84 views)
Old 05-23-2014, 06:20 AM

Wow! It's been almost a year to the day...already? Anywho, I'm on my 2nd video card upgrade in that amount of time. From a GeForce 6800 Ultra OC to an HD 3850 and now an HD 6950(GO TEAM RADEON!!!). Now I'm playing whatever you've got on max settings NO PROBLEM. Including the SpinTires demo. Which I've been heavily involved in non-stop for the entire time since I posted this thread. Which oughta say something. This game is gonna be BAD ASS!!! No doubt about it!!!

Which leads me to the main point. IT'S ALMOST HERE!!! 21 days until the official release. And I am STOKED!!! Just wanted to pop in and share with you guys the first official trailer that they've just put out for it today. There's already hundreds of vids on youtube showing the demo. But this vid shows the stunning HD quality of the fully refined final version of the game soon to be released. And it's pretty damn impressive in my book.

Have a look for yourselves.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks potentially promising. I know nothing about this game, will the user be building trucks or just kinda cruising around?
Old 05-23-2014, 07:58 AM

Oh boy...where to begin? Building trucks? Yes and no. Yes as in you can build your own trucks. But it requires 3d modeling skills. And no as in there will already be many trucks included in the game, to use if you choose to. But there's also hundreds of custom trucks/vehicles already made(by highly skilled 3d modelers) that you can download and put into the game if you want to use those too. With more arriving daily. Customizing trucks/vehicles is also doable. From changing paint schemes, to changing wheels/tires(visually and traction wise), to modding suspension designs and characteristics, to changing engine power output, to changing engine/exhaust sounds, to changing gearing ratios(axle and/or transmission/transfer case), to adding diff lockers(to any and all axles), to adding custom drivers/avatars, to adding custom lighting, to just about you-name-it. Some things haven't been done yet, but you'll probably(more than likely actually) be able to do it at some point. If it can be imagined, there's people working on making it a reality in this game.

This game is going to be(and is) pratically inifinitely moddable. Meaning not only can you make/build and customize(to whichever extent you are capable) your own vehicles for it, you can make/design custom levels(called maps), and/or modify/customize vehicles and maps that someone else makes. The possiblities are literally endless. Downloading and uploading mods for it is also free. So once you buy the base game(or even download just the dev demo), you're pretty much in like Flynn. Though there may be some DLC(DownLoadable Content) that might cost a small amount extra at some point. But there will definitely be, and already is, A LOT of it that won't cost you a penny. With anything that you create for it yourself being, quite obviously, costless.

There will be goals involved in the game. As in missions that you'll need to complete to advance further through it. Which will be based on logging operations in the rugged Russian wilderness. Which, if you've ever heard of or seen, is truly an ultimate offroad experience. The places these guys log over there are pretty unbelievable. And the vehicles they do it with are equally astonishing. We're talking 6x6s and 8x8s pulling trailers full of logs through waist deep muddy swamps, across raging rivers with no bridges, through snow piled 3+ feet high, so on and so forth. Pure insanity. But somehow they manage. In short, the Russians have been building and using trucks for this type of thing that are on a whole nother level of HEAVY DUTY.

However, there will also be a practically limitless amount of free roaming, go wherever you want, blaze your own trail type offroading going on too. There's already many different custom maps to drive around in/on. And when the game is released, they'll be releasing the map maker/editing tool to the public with it. Which has previoulsy only been available to a select few who contributed to the funding of the game's developement(a.k.a. the Kickstarter backers). So, in due time, there will be literally entire new worlds of free space to drive on or offroad through and explore at your leisure.

Now where to stop? I could go on and on about how cool this game is going to be, and/or is, forever. But, for the sake of brevity, I should probably start shutting up. And direct you to the real source(s) for everything you could possibly want to know about it.

1. http://spintires.com/
2. http://www.oovee.co.uk/forum/
3. http://www.oovee.co.uk/site/spintires
4. http://spintires.nl/
5. http://spintires.pro/
6. http://spintires.net/
7. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...road-challenge (linked previously, but again in case you missed it)

PS, if you find posts by MudHappy on the Oovee forums, those are mine. 241 of them so far. With a few of my own mods to download there as well.

PPS, we'll be needing a more emphatic word than EPIC to describe SpinTires. Just you wait and see.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-23-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:54 PM

For those who haven't seen these before, here's some vids of the type of trucking the game is based on.

Now imagine that...as a video game. Now we're talking about SPiNTiRES. To the best of my knowledge, all of the base vehicles shown above will either be included in the game, or can be downloaded as mods and installed in it.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-24-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:57 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
sooo its a game based on Russians/European daily life in the forest?
Old 05-25-2014, 08:52 AM

Not exactly. But you might say that...I suppose. It's technically an offroad logging game.

In reality though, it's WAY more than that. Since it's moddable. So it can become an offroad game based on whatever you want it to be based on. Which is beyond AWESOME. Considering how well designed the base game is in terms of representing a realistic offroad driving experience. Like graphics and physics wise. Which to describe them as AMAZING is putting it VERY mildy.

In short, it's by far and away THE BEST offroad game ever made. Just try the demo. If you're not instantly hooked...then there's something wrong with you...IMO.

That's about all I can think to say about it at this point. I'm starting to feel like my lack of promotional skills are DRASTICALLY selling this game short. Which is really bumming me out. I kinda thought you guys would be as excited about it as I am. But maybe I was wrong. Which is just too bad I guess. Because you guys SERIOUSLY don't know what you're missing. I'm just not much of a salesman. Or not a very good one...evidently. Oh well...I tried.

I strongly suspect that in due time, however, the game will gain in popularity in the real world offroad community. When and how much? I guess only time will tell.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-25-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:43 PM

The demo is pretty good cant wait until its on sale on steam. Is there a steam workshop or are people still downloading the trucks from a website?
Old 06-22-2014, 07:34 AM

It's been available on Steam since the 13th of this month. Steam workshop hasn't been implemented though(and may or may not ever be). As it stands now, the trucks/vehicles and other mods you can download for it are extremely limited, but available(on the Oovee forums). And many of those available mods will disable game progression(achievements) and/or don't work in multiplayer. The main reason for the limited amount of mods right now is that they changed the game in such a way(compared to the dev demo) that the hundreds of mods already made for the dev demo need to be converted to work in the game. So the modding community is now going to be playing catch-up for an undetermined amount of time to fix that. I estimate it will be at least another 6 months to a year before the amount of variety in vehicles/mods will be anywhere close to what it was/is for the dev demo. Which sucks. But I've already bitched about that BIG TIME!!! And almost got myself banned from the Oovee forums in the process. Right now I'm still in cool down mode from it. And I've imposed a personal, possibly temporary, ban from there.

In short, I'm pretty NOT impressed with the game so far. I was thinking it was going to be 1000x better. But maybe some of that has to do with the fact that I smoked my graphics card the same day I purchased it. So I've only played it for less than an hour. I'm still waiting for my new card to show up. Which with any luck, will work as it should when it arrives on tuesday. Then I'll give the game another go I guess. And see if it's any better than my initial impression tells me it is. Hopefully so. In any case, it should be getting much better as time goes on. I just don't know exactly how long that's going to take.

EDIT: Forgot to mention they haven't released the map maker/editor for it yet(as they promised they would when the game finally arrived). And who knows when/if they'll be letting us have that. So no new maps for the time being either. Just one more thing to piss me off.

Last edited by MudHippy; 06-22-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:44 AM

WHAT? I didn't get any steam notifications... I will have to pick this up.

Now that I think about it, I'll probably just get the demo to try it out first. The new clan mechs just got released on MechWarrior Online and I've been busy making those "new-fangled" mechs have a bad day. XD
Old 07-01-2014, 04:36 PM

SPINTIRES ™ sells over 100,000 copies as of 6-30-14!!!

http://www.imgn.pro/?p=581

Alright. I've played it enough now to get a better idea. And it's not bad. Not great. But good enough. Especially for $29.99. I guess I was hoping for $59.99 quality at $29.99 price. Which I'd gladly pay. If it were worth it(but it ain't IMO). But it's a decent investment as it is. And it will definitely be getting a whole lot better as the kinks get worked out and folks get busy converting and making new mods for it. 'Til then I'll give it a B-. I still like it quite a bit. But it's been growing on me for a long time now too. I'm thinking I probably wouldn't like it as much if it was new to me though. Since it's quite a different driving game/simulator experience. And I haven't even tried multiplayer yet. Which might be interesting. It has sold 100,000+ copies now. So there's plenty of that going on.

All in all I recommend it. Worth the price just for being significantly different from, and better in many ways than, any other offroad game ever made.

"Slow is the new Fast"

Which you'll be getting once you play the game for about 5 minutes.

Last edited by MudHippy; 07-01-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:22 AM

I saw this game a while back but didn't play it. It's a physics simulator kind of game, right? It looks pretty enticing. Might pick it up eventually.