Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

New laptop ? for the geeks out there

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New laptop ? for the geeks out there

So I bought this new laptop from DELL not really sure about what I got not a big techy guy but I think it's pretty good here's a break down of the computer.

XPS 1645 16"
5.9 windows experence index
Intel i7 cpu 740@1.73GHz
8 gb ram
64 bit operating system
Window home premium

So here's my question when I plug in my phone or other usb powered item's the computer tell's me

This device can operate faster using a 2.0 usb port so I went out and bought a 4 port hub that say's 2.0 480Mbps but when I pluged it in to the ports on the laptop I get the same message, am I missing a download or upgrade program to make it 2.0?
Old 09-18-2010, 12:20 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
The ports on your computer are 2.0. Might as well return that hub unless you really need it extra USB ports. Did you try plugging you phone into any other ports..? The thing has to have more then one.. If your getting the same message with all of the ports check at Dell.com under your computer model for an updated driver for your USB hardware. Though, the driver should automatically update itself if the windows update settings are set right.

Also, that's deff a nice computer. That processor could be easily safely overclocked.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2010, 01:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Dont give the man overclocking ideas.
Plus, he's on a dell.
Can't overclock on the OEM BIOS, anyways.
And if you do, it's generally a hackjob.

Back on topic.
Harley, my PC even says that, every time i plug in the droid or ipod. 99% chance you have USB 2.0, 1% chance you have USB 1. Unless your computer is pre 2000.. (USB 2.0: Released in April 2000).

So, ignore the message and enjoy that new laptop. Seems like a real powerhouse.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:46 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys and what is over clocking you speak of?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by peow130
Dont give the man overclocking ideas.
Plus, he's on a dell.
Can't overclock on the OEM BIOS, anyways.
And if you do, it's generally a hackjob.

Back on topic.
Harley, my PC even says that, every time i plug in the droid or ipod. 99% chance you have USB 2.0, 1% chance you have USB 1. Unless your computer is pre 2000.. (USB 2.0: Released in April 2000).

So, ignore the message and enjoy that new laptop. Seems like a real powerhouse.
Actually intel has this program thats supposedly been shipping with a lot of the computers that makes it really easy to over clock.

Originally Posted by olharleyman
Thanks guys and what is over clocking you speak of?
You quoted a processor speed of 1.73 GHZ.. Overclocking would make the processor faster thus raising that GHZ number.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
A) Don't overclock a stock Dell, ESPECIALLY a laptop that you cannot really modify and install additional cooling harware; that's asking for issues

B) What version of Windows Home Premium are you talking about; Vista, or 7? I use to get that same message all the time with Vista, even though I knew for a fact that the laptop was USB 2.0 capable, and was operating at USB 2.0 speeds. After installing 7, the error message seemed to go away, so my only assumption is that it was a Vista thing... Vista is known to be a little "buggy" at best...

Seems like a pretty stout computer pretty good specs

EDIT: OH, and here's a thought...

I've seen Dell laptops in the past be finicky about being plugged in... A lot of the time, Dell defaults the laptop in order to save the most battery power when possible when it's not plugged it. Often times that means dimming the screen, shutting off the NIC (network card), throttling down the CPU to a slower speed, and even, tuning USB 2.0 down to 1.0. So if you're trying this when not plugged in, try plugging the laptop into the charger and seeing if that changes anything

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 09-18-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
A) Don't overclock a stock Dell, ESPECIALLY a laptop that you cannot really modify and install additional cooling harware; that's asking for issues

B) What version of Windows Home Premium are you talking about; Vista, or 7? I use to get that same message all the time with Vista, even though I knew for a fact that the laptop was USB 2.0 capable, and was operating at USB 2.0 speeds. After installing 7, the error message seemed to go away, so my only assumption is that it was a Vista thing... Vista is known to be a little "buggy" at best...

Seems like a pretty stout computer pretty good specs

EDIT: OH, and here's a thought...

I've seen Dell laptops in the past be finicky about being plugged in... A lot of the time, Dell defaults the laptop in order to save the most battery power when possible when it's not plugged it. Often times that means dimming the screen, shutting off the NIC (network card), throttling down the CPU to a slower speed, and even, tuning USB 2.0 down to 1.0. So if you're trying this when not plugged in, try plugging the laptop into the charger and seeing if that changes anything

B. Windows 7 home premimum

Here's a thought
It is plugged in but again it is still brand new and just got the battery to full maybe thats got something to do with it?
Old 09-18-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
B. Windows 7 home premimum

Here's a thought
It is plugged in but again it is still brand new and just got the battery to full maybe thats got something to do with it?
Bottom right, click on the battery icon. You'll most likely have 2 options, Dell preferred and Battery saver. Click "more options." Select High performance and retry..

Old 09-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by scuba
Bottom right, click on the battery icon. You'll most likely have 2 options, Dell preferred and Battery saver. Click "more options." Select High performance and retry..

good idear
Old 09-18-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First thing's first, olharleyman, nuke and pave that new baby. Get some proper 64bit Win 7 Home Premium install media; just download it if you don't have it, don't use the media that came with the system (if it came with some) that's customized to install a bunch of crap you don't need, throw it out, snap it, use it as a coaster, just don't install it, EVER. If it's just the recovery partition, leave that alone, there's no need to ever touch it, and leaving it there won't really hurt anything. A "retail" or "oem" copy of the install media should work but "volume license" will not, you have a legitimate key and Microsoft only cares about the key, they'll actually tell you to download the install media if you have a legit key but no install media. Format the system and install that, enjoy your fresh and bloat-free (as bloat-free as it gets anyways) Windows install for a few minutes, then install all the drivers and utilities (if they're actually necessary, a lot of times you don't need two power management tools, extra software firewall, etc.) from Dell. You should be able to Google "bloatware removal" + your laptop's model and find out what the minimum amount of software required for it to run properly.

What this does:
Removes all of the bloatware. You know, all those trial installers, 30 day anti-virus programs that nag you afterward, any pretty much all the other crap Dell thinks you need with your computer that you don't actually need and reduces the system's performance. No need to overclock when you can free up a bunch of resource by getting rid of the crap.

Last edited by Magnusian; 09-18-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

that's a good idea too, but I doubt that will do much for the USB 2.0 issue

I ran the OEM installed OS on my HP for almost a year before I ever wiped it clean, got rid of the restore partition, and installed 7 as a clean copy myself. BUT, one of the first things that I did do when I got the laptop was remove all the crap that HP installs on it... I removed all that crap from the HP my sister bought as well, lol. All it does is take up memory (on the HD and RAM), and bog the computer down by running processes for programs that NO ONE uses anyway...

You can get rid of the majority of it just with the Windows Uninstall manager in the control panel

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 09-18-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
that's a good idea too, but I doubt that will do much for the USB 2.0 issue

I ran the OEM installed OS on my HP for almost a year before I ever wiped it clean, got rid of the restore partition, and installed 7 as a clean copy myself. BUT, one of the first things that I did do when I got the laptop was remove all the crap that HP installs on it... I removed all that crap from the HP my sister bought as well, lol. All it does is take up memory (on the HD and RAM), and bog the computer down by running processes for programs that NO ONE uses anyway...

You can get rid of the majority of it just with the Windows Uninstall manager in the control panel
Need to run ccleaner after uninstalling all the crap to clean up the registry, just uninstalling it isn't enough; a nuke and pave just makes life easier by covering all the bases.

Last edited by Magnusian; 09-18-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

another good point
Old 09-19-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by scuba
Actually intel has this program thats supposedly been shipping with a lot of the computers that makes it really easy to over clock.

I find that hard to believe.
Especially since the only REAL way to overclock is to adjust FSB speed, or the multiplier.
Both of which you NEED to do in the BIOS. And since you cant change those in windows, or if you could it would be incredibly unstable, you cant overclock with a program.
And most OEM motherboards are shipped with a BIOS that doesnt allow you to adjust either the FSB, or the multiplier.
And to swap BIOS' you need to flash a new one, which is a whole different story.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by peow130
I find that hard to believe.
Especially since the only REAL way to overclock is to adjust FSB speed, or the multiplier.
Both of which you NEED to do in the BIOS. And since you cant change those in windows, or if you could it would be incredibly unstable, you cant overclock with a program.
And most OEM motherboards are shipped with a BIOS that doesnt allow you to adjust either the FSB, or the multiplier.
And to swap BIOS' you need to flash a new one, which is a whole different story.
No there are in fact programs you can run from the operating system that can adjust the FSB. But I do believe they are either only made by Intel, or have to be approved by Intel for them to be released. That tool came on the driver CD for the motherboard of my last PC build. I used it once just playing with it, but over clocking didn't give it much, so I just left it alone.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Ol', that's a smokin' computer there, no need to overclock IMO. Think of overclocking like putting a Ruf turbo conversion on a N/A 911 S/C but skipping the intercooler. Runs great right before the unplanned shutdown.

On a new computer, I do the following in order, figure a couple hours:

--Install and run pcdecrapifier. Don't reboot until all scumware is removed first. Be sure to uninstall OEM anitvirus like McAfee.
http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/download

--Install MS Security Essentials. Small, light, fast, real time free protection updated daily.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

--Run Windows Update (Open IE, then from the menu choose Tools/Windows Update). Select all the High Priority updates, then scan the Custom Updates for those that apply to your machine. Install and reboot.

--Run Windows Update again. You'll need more updates after the last run. Repeat until no High Priority updates are listed.

--Go to the Dell Home site, click on Support/Drivers and Downloads, and search by your Service Tag on the bottom of your machine. Check on BIOS and Chipset updates available, compare to what's installed and if Dell recommends, download and install the updates.
http://support.dell.com/support/down...=19&l=en&s=dhs

--For the above step you'll need to see what's onboard now so go to Start/Control Panel/System and Security/View Basic Information/Device Manager/ and look for any flags (there shouldn't be any). Expand the USB icon, L click the first item and then check the version and date of the driver to see if you even need to update it. Check for other updates as needed the same way. It helps to keep Device Manager open with the browser on the Dell Support site to compare faster.

--I've had bad luck with CCleaner registry cleaner, but the other features are top notch. Instead I'd suggest Eusing Registry Cleaner, free here.
http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_...ry_cleaner.htm

--After all that, download and run Auslogics Disk Defrag. Much faster and maybe more thorough than the MS version.
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software...frag/download/

Since I'm not really a geek, there are likely other, quicker ways of doing something similar, but I can say from frequent experience (yesterday) setting up friends and families Win7 machines that the above works without creating any new problems. Hope this helps.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

one thing I'd like to point out from above

there's probably no need to go to Dell's web site for the drivers, really

Windows 7 update does a REALLY good job at locating drivers. I didn't have to source a single driver on my current PC when I put it together and installed 7. I used Windows Update, and it found and installed ALL of them right away, no issues
Old 09-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

I'd agree if it weren't for my experience with a new Dell 1012 netbook running Win7 a month ago. The Dell site had updated BIOS, video and touchpad updates not addressed by WU. The video update really helped performance noticeably and the others were listed as critical on the Dell site.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write up by BT17R, don't disagree with other posts but I think reinstalling windows is unnecessary and a bit out of oldharley's league. Judging by his questions, no offence intended.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my old HP pavillion finally crapped out... motherboard is fried from a faulty power chord, awesome, there's $1500 down the crapper..... my computer tech guy recommends a "think pad" laptop, virtually trouble free accross the board as far as hardware is concerned. I just hate vista and don't want 7 yet.... xp is the best OS around in my opinion....

I use a Dell 630 for work (thanks uncle sam for the crappy computer circa 1990) and it's a nightmare to get parts for compared to our other stuff, heard lots of folks really like 'em though. hmmm....

gotta get something soon to tune my rig, I have all the stuff, just not a good laptop all of a sudden, blah... (except this one, but it's vista and won't support some of my tuning software, rrrr)

Quick Reply: New laptop ? for the geeks out there