YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Computer Talk (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f98/)
-   -   I Am So F***IN' Sick Of Spyware!!!!!! (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f98/i-am-so-f-sick-spyware-29487/)

runnerboy97 04-05-2004 07:33 AM

i have been having some problems too. I had a pop up from the antivirus saying it found this "W32.Netsky.C@mm" . i did the repetative cleaning thing stated in the beginning of this thread about a weekago, and havent hardly been on the computer since then. Now i cant seem to get rid of whatever it is i got. I have been getting pop ups for the last week, ive run spy bot, antivirus and adaware. nothing is working, thanks.

Dr. Zhivago 04-05-2004 08:09 AM

What antivirus software are you running? If it has an email plugin, then most likely, those pop-ups are because it is finding Netsky in your emails and telling you it found them.

G

runnerboy97 04-05-2004 08:10 AM

i am running symantec, its what they gave us here at school.

Dr. Zhivago 04-05-2004 11:27 AM

Then, that's probably the reason for the pop-ups about Netsky. They're appearing in your email. The good news is that NAV is catching them. There really isn't anything to be concerned about and it's just an annoyance now because so many people are infected.

Are you using Outlook or Outlook Express?

G

runnerboy97 04-05-2004 11:39 AM

outlook express, thanks for the help.

Dr. Zhivago 04-05-2004 11:48 AM

YW :bigok:

G

ravencr 04-05-2004 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by runnerboy97
i have been having some problems too. I had a pop up from the antivirus saying it found this "W32.Netsky.C@mm" . i did the repetative cleaning thing stated in the beginning of this thread about a weekago, and havent hardly been on the computer since then. Now i cant seem to get rid of whatever it is i got. I have been getting pop ups for the last week, ive run spy bot, antivirus and adaware. nothing is working, thanks.

Follow the instructions on the link I gave everyone, and they'll dissappear.

Chris

Corey 04-17-2004 07:08 AM

Spy Sweeper rules

Just downloaded Spy Sweeper as seen in another thread on spyware here.
I have been using SpyBot for a few years now, and use it once a week and always update it when needed.

Ran it yesterday as part of my Friday PC tuneup ritual, and it found nothing.
Just ran Spy Sweeper and it found 5 items, but you can only see 4 in this JPG.

One item found was Backweb, but it said to keep it, as it might be part of a software auto update I have on the PC for some other software.

midiwall 04-17-2004 07:19 AM

Yeup... Spy Sweeper is pretty much the best. I just wish it was free, or at least not tied to an annual subscription.

Corey 04-17-2004 07:26 AM

I left feedback for them and told them it should at least only have to be paid for once, and not annualy, that sucks.

Mcafee is the same now, but I have to keep that updated for sure.
I may ante up the bones for Spy Sweeer at a later date.

Corey 06-04-2004 09:11 PM

Cnet review

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513-5134965.html

tombothetominator 06-04-2004 09:55 PM

here is what i do, seems to work very well for me. First update all antivirus (i use norton) and any adware/spyware removers (i use adaware 6.0 available for free from download.com) Then, restart the computer into safe mode, if you have XP safe mode with networking is nice because you can still play on the net (to restart in safe mode continuously tap F5 or F8 while computer is booting BEFORE it starts to load windows) then run all anti-virus, and spyware/adware removers. Then restart windows normally, and run them again.
The reason i do it this way, is that when you start the computer in safe mode it starts only windows necessary files - a.k.a. it doesnt start all the crap the is a PITA to get rid of if it is running in the background. Just my .02, but it works great for me, plus setting the privacy/security options helps a lot too!

Cebby 09-30-2004 04:37 PM

A good long time ago (searched, couldn't find it) someone just had me change a setting in IE and it took care of the problem. I'm running Adaware and Trend Micro's virus program and they still haven't gotten rid of my pop ups. This jsut started a day or two ago when surfing Autotrader.com.

Any simple solutions I'm missing?

Corey 09-30-2004 04:42 PM

Mike, here are some settings I use, although they differ a bit for my Explorer 6 from what Dr Z wrote here:

To help prevent adware and spyware from getting on your system in the first place, do these things: (You must be running IE6 or higher)

1. Go to Internet Options/Privacy tab. Click Advanced. Click Overide automatic cookie handling. Click Accept First Party Cookies, Block Third Party Cookies and Always allow session cookies. Ok your way out of it. If you have trouble with certain sites, you will need to edit the cookies list and add them manually.

2. Go to Internet Options/Security tab. Click "Custom Level". The first 5 options pertaining to ActiveX should be Prompt, Disable, Disable, Enable, Enable. WAY down the list, look for "Userdata persistence". Set to Disable. Ok your way out.

These changes will make a big difference and you should only get cookies occasionally showing up in your spyware searches unless you routinely install ad-supported software.
Someone posted about a month or so ago some settings like above too.

Cebby 10-01-2004 06:57 AM

Thanks Corey! We'll see how this works...

I'm only running the Ad Aware SE (the freebie) - is it worth spending the $$ on the full version?

Jeffires 10-01-2004 07:29 AM

Trend Micro Sysclean will get all the popups- we use it at work. Stinger gets alot, but we switched to Sysclean recently. I know SP2 has alot of problems, but we put it on our systems here and it does help with viruses.

Cebby 10-01-2004 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffires
Trend Micro Sysclean will get all the popups- we use it at work. Stinger gets alot, but we switched to Sysclean recently. I know SP2 has alot of problems, but we put it on our systems here and it does help with viruses.

I couldn't find "Sysclean", but noticed my PC Cillin supposedly has something. It hasn't done the job though...

RebuiltRunner 10-02-2004 10:56 AM

Don't use IE or if u must, use sparingly.

I had a problem with spy/adware back in May that caused me to have to re-install. Even then I usually used Netscape. I think I accidently used IE and caught crapware.

Now I use Mozilla and have pop-ups disallowed. I pretty much only use IE to see ESPNmotion (purveyors of monopoly) and play dominoes on Pogo. I've not had ANY problems with popups or adware since I started using Mozilla and limiting my use of IE even more.

Cebby 10-02-2004 03:27 PM

I think that is the route I may take. I've now spent $80 on the Trend Micro virus stuff and the Ad Aware software and I still have issues. The ones Ad Aware does catch, still disrupt my surfing experience and are a general pain in the ass. Plus, at least a 1/3 of the popups are still getting through. It sucks.