Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Hello Comcast Digital Voice, goodbye Vonage

Old 04-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hello Comcast Digital Voice, goodbye Vonage

I have had Vonage for a very long time, a member here turned me onto it.
Comcast came to my door about three weeks ago and made me an offer I could not refuse.

I would pay them the same rate I have been, but they would eliminate my Vonage bill of around $33 a month to switch over to Comcast Digital Voice, and also upgrade my Internet from 16 megabit down to 20 megabit down.
Also they would port over my Vonage number, so I keep the same number.

But wait, there is more
Free HBO and Starz.

So the bill will remain the same, but I will have faster Internet service, the two above premium channels which I probably will not watch due to to much already on other channels, and the elimination of the Vonage monthly fee.
Could not pass this up.

Here is a current speed test running through their new voice router.

It can be better, as I am still having to go through the old Vonage box and a Linksys wireless access point.
The Vonage router box is old, and it is not up to the current capability to utilize the full speed of my package.

I need the wireless hooked up still for the laptop, and it does not have provision on the back to have an incoming cable from the PC to it, it only has an outgoing port which can plug into the new Comcast box, but that will not work since it can not accept my PC too, hence why I still am using the Vonage box.

I just ordered from Comcast a wireless N router which is Netgear, and then I can eliminate the two Linksys boxes (Vonage is also Linksys, but very old) and my Internet download will increase even more, and the wireless will be faster too.

Pretty cool too having all of your Comcast stuff on one page such as the email which I use at work and to do the DVR, and now I can access the phone voicemail from it too if I do not want to call my home phone from another number such as my cell phone.

I learned something too when the rep came here three weeks back.
I knew Vonage was run over the Internet, and it would go down if the Internet was down, but I still had TV.

Comcast Digital Voice does not run over the Internet like I though, but it piggybacks the TV signal or has its own dependent of the Internet signal.
So it my Internet goes out, I can still use the home phone.

I do not know if the quality of calls will be any better, but for the price of this I could not pass it up.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
let me know how that works out. We are looking to switch to something else, currently with Frontier. My big aversion to Comcast is when I had them before they seemed to raise the rates often and at random times..
Old 04-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Will do Robb.
My rate is suppose to stay at this for two years.

I have the caller ID setup on my Comcast DVR box to show up on the TV screen, but it is not working.
Might take awhile to sync up.

I also downloaded the one for my PC, but it too is not showing an incoming call.

If neither is working my mid week, I will have them come out and fix it.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
thanks Corey! Two year fixed price is pretty good