YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Computer Talk (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f98/)
-   -   AMD vs Intel (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f98/amd-vs-intel-48817/)

CynicX 01-09-2005 03:05 PM

AMD vs Intel

ok I know this is gonna turn into a war. Buts lets just TRY to be civilized. I was thinking about building a new rig. Although I dont really game anymore on PC I want it too be fast as I can make it. Thing is everytime I try to read up on AMD vs Intel it always turns into a war.

So whats everyones experience? Not what you heard or whatever, what you've actually experienced first hand.

Me, I'm only run Intel chips and NEVER had any problems out of them. I'm running a P4 2.0ghz since it was introduced years ago without any problems. I'm also running Intel Celeron in my laptop, also havent experienced any problems.

Localmotion 01-09-2005 03:07 PM

ive always used AMD. never had a problem with them. I guess im partial to amd b/c of that. if pentium has never given you a problem then stick with them. lol....i know this doesnt help its just my .02

Matt

CynicX 01-09-2005 03:11 PM

all the reviews i've read seem like ghz vs ghz the AMD comes out on top. Since I'm looking for fast as possible (w/o overclocking) that seems like the way too go...

Localmotion 01-09-2005 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by CynicX
all the reviews i've read seem like ghz vs ghz the AMD comes out on top. Since I'm looking for fast as possible (w/o overclocking) that seems like the way too go...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-497&depa=0

this one looks preettyy sweet. $$$ though. i have the amd 2200xp. its fast enough for my needs

Matt

Drew 01-09-2005 03:56 PM

ok I know this is gonna turn into a war. Buts lets just TRY to be civilized. I was thinking about building a new rig. Although I dont really game anymore on PC I want it too be fast as I can make it. Thing is everytime I try to read up on AMD vs Intel it always turns into a war.

So whats everyones experience? Not what you heard or whatever, what you've actually experienced first hand.

Me, I'm only run Intel chips and NEVER had any problems out of them. I'm running a P4 2.0ghz since it was introduced years ago without any problems. I'm also running Intel Celeron in my laptop, also havent experienced any problems.

I have 2 high end PC AMD FX-55 & 3.2 P4. I can tell you now the AMD fx-55 is unbelievably faster. when installing xp on my HD it only took 11 min.

Bud 01-09-2005 04:15 PM

i've had 1.3 amd duron, 1600xp, 1800xp and now a 2500xp barton rugging @ 3200xp.
No problems with any of these. Still running strong. I went with amd because they were cheaper than intels and was just as good.

arjan 01-09-2005 08:43 PM

I've always found that AMD runs way hotter then Intel does. Generally you need a bigger fan, which makes more noise. I like quiet computers, that's why I choose a P4 for my latest machine. When the fan fails AMD cpus burn themselves up, while Intel slows itself down. I don't know if this still goes for the newest generation cpus, but I always felt that Intel put quality before performance. Sort of a Toyota thing.
That is my take on the difference.

yotafool 01-09-2005 09:50 PM

i have an intel p4 3.0 with hyperthreading. i like it alot but i havent been on a computer with a new amd. almost bought an amd because of the 64 bit processing, but figured out i wont have any use for it for awhile, so i just went with intel with h/t.

DrBeau 01-09-2005 10:43 PM

Hope this helps...

You can't really look at Ghz anymore. An AMD will have a lower Ghz rating than a comperable Intel chip, but thats because the two companies have completly different ways of doing what they do. Right now AMD is on top though.

Originally Posted by arjan
I've always found that AMD runs way hotter then Intel does. Generally you need a bigger fan, which makes more noise. I like quiet computers, that's why I choose a P4 for my latest machine. When the fan fails AMD cpus burn themselves up, while Intel slows itself down. I don't know if this still goes for the newest generation cpus, but I always felt that Intel put quality before performance. Sort of a Toyota thing.
That is my take on the difference.

Actually, the AMD64s are much cooler than the latest Intels and also feature thei Cool and Quiet technology that will slow the processor down (thereby lowering the heat output) when it's idling and not doing anything. Also, AMD was given this low quality rap because of the K6-2 processor that dates back from the beginning of the PIII.

I work with computers eveyday and also have built quite a few systems recently. What processor you want depends on a few things. The first is price. AMD is cheaper (in price not quality) than Intel. After that it pans out like this:
AMD- Blistering Gaming speed and raw power.
Intel- Hyperthreading really does make a difference when it comes to doing things like running Photoshop, Firefox, Word, some music, and whatever else you do all at the same time.

I guess what i'm saying is that if you use lots of Apps and multi task, then Intel is the way to go. If you use Linux (64-bit processing) or are a gamer then AMD all the way. The great thing is right now you can't really lose because the processors are all so fast. Whichever way you go you can't lose. Best of luck with your new computer.

Ducky 01-10-2005 07:36 AM

I've been in the Computer field for a long time and I was an AMD and Intel Guy till the Athlons... Used both AMD and Intels up to that point then stayed with Intel. The only processors I ever really made fun of were the Cyrix / IBM "Heater" Chips... That being said... Ive always been asked "What processor do you run?" I mention my Intel P4 and LGA775 Processors... and the conversation goes from intellegent to stupid real quick when the arsehat says "HAHA INTEL SUCKS MAN!" you know what? Who cares what we run... To each their own... opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has got one...

(Opinion ON)
Even when your playing games even things like HL2, or the latest super zoomy whatever game, It does not matter what processor you will run, theres no one that can tell you the difference from the latest Intel to the AMD that it runs faster and "Rules all" without breaking out a benchmark, and what is a benchmark? It's nothing... you don't need to know the numbers, who cares about them? Your game runs, your game works just as good either way... Get what processor you want, get 512mb memory, and a good video card and your set. Don't jump on the bandwagon, or you will be like me when I used to buy the latest and greatest as soon as it came out, and be poor. Now if your talking Buisness DB's and such then your talking different... Your AMD 64 will not help you with your games, or windows XP for that matter... for now at least...
(Opinion OFF)
We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

CynicX 01-10-2005 10:40 AM

Any reliablity issues between the two brands?...seems like one is as good as the other. I might just stick with Intel since as soon as I change I know I'll have a problem.....

Now heres my next question...what brands are good mother boards?...I been window shopping online and there is sooooo much to choose from when it comes to mother boards esp if you dont have a processor picked out....what are a couple good brands too stick with?...any latest tech. I should look for?

ps. the only reason I want the latest and greatest is for two reasons....one, I want it to last me a few years like my p4 2ghz has since it was the latest and greatest when i bought it fews ago, and still seems to keep up ok. Two, I'm a guru, I love having the latest and greatest and I have the money to blow so that doesnt matter....

4Hummer 01-10-2005 12:05 PM

AMD is a good chip never had any real problems with them. They DO run hotter than the Intel Chip's Upgrade the CPU fan and add a bay fan and you'll be fine.

As for MotherBoards. Stick with ASUS.

Bud 01-10-2005 01:25 PM

You cant go wrong with either chips, Just make sure you have enough memory to back it up.

Most if not all motherboards has a safety function in the bios where you can manually set the pc to shut down or the alarm to go off if the chip gets too hot. For morons such as me that sometimes forgets to plug in the cpu fan. :laugh:

I've had good luck with Asus, Abit , MSi and even the el cheapo ECS.
Just like everything else, you get what you pay for.

As for the latest and greatest? It will be outdated by the time you finish installing your OS. j/k it seems though every time i upgrade my pc, something better comes out the next day. :( :think:

Check out overclockers.com's forum when you get a chance, bunch of kewl nerds.

Corey 01-10-2005 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
As for MotherBoards. Stick with ASUS.

I agree, Asus is the king.
Very easy to overclock, and they simply rock.

I am now running my 2.4c GHz chip at 3.12 GHz with practically the same temps as stock.
Don't believe me, see my overclocking thread in this section.

slyang1012 01-10-2005 02:42 PM

apple is the best!!!!!!!!!! hhehehehe... =oP

CynicX 01-11-2005 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by slyang1012
apple is the best!!!!!!!!!! hhehehehe... =oP

wtf is apple? heheheh

DrBeau 01-12-2005 09:37 AM

"2. Do not eat iPod Shuffle" (look at the bottom of the page)

Need I say more?

PoBoy 01-12-2005 09:43 AM

IMOP - motherboard is more important than the chip...get a good mobo - then a chip to fit it. I buy Intel because I have an ass load of stock in them. So help me out and buy Intel :D

Churnd 01-12-2005 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by drbeau

Need I say more?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CynicX 01-12-2005 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by drbeau

Need I say more?

you have got to be kidding me...i guess that means someone has done it?