GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

On Getting a GPS, Have laptop, Verizon Phone Account

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On Getting a GPS, Have laptop, Verizon Phone Account

I could use some help in working up a solution to my GPS situation. My goal is off road surveying to within 20 feet of dead on. I able to make numerous trips to the same points to get a more accurate fix over a period of weeks.

I have a modern laptop, which takes all kinds of cards, and has all ports, except parallel and 9 pin serial.

I am on Verizon, have an Audiovox CDM-8900, which does/does not have, I don't know, GPS or GPS via Blue Tooth.

I could replace it with a motorola Q or similar phone. I am out in the boonies, but 3.8 miles from a good tower, clear view of tower. I can get said phone off of Ebay cheap, but could go with newer phone.

I own a copy of TOPO! 4.0 and all the 1:24,000 quads for California.

I own TurboCad 14.2 which can import Triangular Irregular Network (TIN) data from standard data file formats.

I would like to acquire a device that would work with both a cell phone and a laptop, and which could be easily integrated with my existing TOPO! of California maps. If that is not possible, I would like to know what is the cheapest way to get at least 50 California quads in some other format, more compatible with the laptop and the cell. I notice that at least one vendor claims topos for the whole USA, and then admits in the fine print that you gotta buy, extra, anything more detailed than 1:100,000.

thanks in advance,

Doug Keachie