GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

Garmin Rhino 120

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garmin Rhino 120

I like this model. I do not know if its size would become cumbersome though. does anyone have a garmin rhino 110, 120, or 130? tell me what you like or dislike about it and what you wouldve rather purchased if you do not like it. what features should i look for now that you own a GPS and use it?
Old 11-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by herbsblue4x4
I like this model. I do not know if its size would become cumbersome though. does anyone have a garmin rhino 110, 120, or 130? tell me what you like or dislike about it and what you wouldve rather purchased if you do not like it. what features should i look for now that you own a GPS and use it?
I have the 120 and love it. It has the two way radio built in which is an awesome feature. I use it in my truck, and have a mount for my dirtbike as well. It is a serious piece of equipment and I can see it will take some time for me to really figure out all it can do...
Old 11-14-2004, 05:36 PM

I have the Rino 120, and though the idea sounds great, the application leaves much to be desired. My friend and I both picked them up for hunting. We have been using Motorola FRS radios for years, and thought the addition of the GPS would be a good idea. We would be able to leave the old GPS and radios and go with an all in one unit. But, we found the Rino 120 doesn't live up to all the hype. The GPS unit seems to work well, and the ability to transmit your location to another 120 user worked, but with limitations. We soon discovered that the FRS radio doesn't work very well at all. The range is no where near the 2 mile advertised limit. In fact, they worked very poorly when going from vehicle to vehicle. With a direct line of sight between vehicles, less that 1/8 mile apart, transmission was spotty. Using our old Motorola TalkAbouts we could easily transmit well over a mile in the same area. The GMRS radio worked better, but you have to use the FRS inorder for the GPS link between units to function. There is also the problem with compatability with other types of Topo software. Garmin wants you to purchase their software, at over $100.00. I like the Delorme TopoUSA, but the version I have doesn't want to connect to the Rino. I am waiting to see if the new version will work.

All in all, I think the idea is great, but garmin blew it on the radio part. I am hoping that Motorola will come out with a compatable unit. I would trade my Rino in on one in a second.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

I love mine!

Its been a perfect mod for me. Ive never tested the tx lmits really yet but Ive never had a probem talking to someone either. I got the pc/dc plug and an aux 12volt hookup from radio shack and put all the wires and stuff under the dash and I have a mac so I had to get a serial to usb hook-up but it works fine with my cheap mapping software (Route66). I have been happy with the basemap also. A lot more detailed than I expected (you have to turn the detail up in the menu though). I haven't found someone with another rhino yet so i haven't gotten to play with the location sending yet but, thats not why I got the unit. Another plus with the unit is that its waterproof. When I was looking to buy I read a review where a guy actually left it in his pants pocket and ran it through the washing machine and it didn't hut it at all! I like that becasue its perfect to take on the JetSkis and it actually works inside the compartment! I love mine and its hot its little perch right in view for me.