GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

Old 02-20-2009, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

I bought this GPS the other night and I must say I can't believe I have waited so long. Its great! My wife and I are about to do our first Geocache before a romantic dinner. LOL. Great way to start the night.

Anyone have any advice for me? I am getting the road maps for the whole U.S. and the topo maps to throw on a memory card.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
-Take your wife on a romantic picnic and bring a flash light to impress her with your nav skills
-get a very fine point sharpie to mark your micro SD cards with. I have got the same GPS, (love it) but with 2-3 cards those little buggers are easy to get mixed up. and switch them out over something white (like a sheet) drop one and they are a you know what to find. you can get some 1-2GB card on ebay very cheap now.
-on my windshield mount the pivot screws tend to come loose periodically, give them a good twist every now and than.
-get the car power adapter but it kind of a pain to get the plug in with the windshield mount. it won't charge the batteries but works great in the car.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:55 PM

Awsome! Thanks Robb. I asked the salesman if I can download the topo, and U.S. Road map on to one big SD card. Say a 4 or 8GB. He didn't know, but I am assuming that it would possibly make it slow or it wouldn't work. Have any experience there or just get a few like you said?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
When I down load topo's on to my garmin thru garmins mapping program you have to select the parts of the map to put on your gps. You could put the entire country on a disk but I wouldnt. The gps should have a basic us map on it already.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:53 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
True story I found a geocache not too long ago in a mine. Anyway, Can I ask how much you payed for it ?!?? Let us know how ya like it
Old 02-21-2009, 09:31 AM

I LOVE the 60csx. The electronic compass and altimeter and invaluable.

You can't fit the entire North American mapset (city navigator or TOPO) onto a 4mb micro SD so instead, I bought an extra 4gb card to put my other maps on and taped it to the inside of the battery compartment.

Last edited by okie81; 02-21-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:34 AM

I payed the full retail 399... Wife was annoyed and I could have found it cheaper,but I support my local business. Just trying to do my part for the economy... lol.

I love it. We backed out last night because it was pretty cold but a buddy is in from school this weekend so we are gonna do a midnight run this evening hitting up a bunch of local spots. Should be great.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:47 PM

60csx sure is one of my best "tools" I have ever bought, works great for off trails, such as hunting and fishing. I wish I had a better map for city navigation, such as driving on roads, I guess city navigator is what I want...does that also have the feature to type in where you want to go and then it tells you turn by turn? Great idea of keeping separate memory chips in the battery lid.