Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

truck speakers won't play music!!!

Old 05-13-2014, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck speakers won't play music!!!

So I just got done rewiring my 1991 toyota trucks speakers and I have a kenwood deck. My driver front and back speaker work, but my passenger front and back won't play music! When I adjust settings like fader I hear the passenger speakers beep, but no music comes out. It's confusing the he'll out of me.

When I wiggle the wires that go into the back of the deck, however, the passenger speakers will play music for like a second and then stop, so I know they work. But i have to wiggle them for like 5 minutes and get lucky for 1 second of music. All of the connections I made with connectors are fine and firm. Maybe it's the harness that plugs into the deck? Help please
Old 05-14-2014, 01:43 PM

heres some easier trouble shooting to start out with.

at the radio with all of the speakers hooked up, strip back the speaker wires in question just enough that you can touch them with a drill battery or a 9volt battery (making sure the speaker wire is still connected to the radio as well). when you touch the battery to the wires, the speaker should "pop" if this happens, then there is most likely not an issue with the wiring, but more so with the head unit.

another way to test is to completely seperate one set of the speaker wires in question from the radio. then using a spare speaker, hook it to the output of the radio. If this allows the speaker to play, then the headunits output is fine.

check to make sure the speaker terminals arent touching metal and grounding out somehow as well.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by drpdmazda
heres some easier trouble shooting to start out with.

at the radio with all of the speakers hooked up, strip back the speaker wires in question just enough that you can touch them with a drill battery or a 9volt battery (making sure the speaker wire is still connected to the radio as well). when you touch the battery to the wires, the speaker should "pop" if this happens, then there is most likely not an issue with the wiring, but more so with the head unit.

another way to test is to completely seperate one set of the speaker wires in question from the radio. then using a spare speaker, hook it to the output of the radio. If this allows the speaker to play, then the headunits output is fine.

check to make sure the speaker terminals arent touching metal and grounding out somehow as well.
Well here's a piece of info I just found out today. All 4 of my speakers work fine when I'm listening to the radio. It's only when I use the AUX with my phone that the 2 passenger speakers dont work. Music from my phone only works on 2 speakers but music from the radio works on all 4.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:40 PM

you have a defective aux cable, or the output on the source you are using for the aux has a bad output.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine did that I replaced the whole speaker it works now
Old 05-14-2014, 05:20 PM

you have a defective aux cable, or the output on the source you are using for the aux has a bad output.
Well its my Samsung galaxy s4, however the input on my deck is really loose and wobbly...but why would it only affect 2 and not all of the speakers?
Old 05-16-2014, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dustin Egle
Well its my Samsung galaxy s4, however the input on my deck is really loose and wobbly...but why would it only affect 2 and not all of the speakers?
there is a left and right audio ring on your aux cable (look at the tip of the cable, there will be two or three rings, most likely black, the 3rd would be for video) I have a galxy s4 and had the exact same issue, the audio only worked on the right side of my 4runner. i eliminated the cable and stream everything thru bluetooth now. no worries about bad cable, bad phones etc.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:53 PM

there is a left and right audio ring on your aux cable (look at the tip of the cable, there will be two or three rings, most likely black, the 3rd would be for video) I have a galxy s4 and had the exact same issue, the audio only worked on the right side of my 4runner. i eliminated the cable and stream everything thru bluetooth now. no worries about bad cable, bad phones etc.
How do you hook it up via bluetooth to the deck? Lol
Old 05-17-2014, 02:24 PM

you need a bluetooth capable radio.