Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

remote turn on for amp to factory radio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote turn on for amp to factory radio?

Looks like what most folks have done is just run the remote turn on to a ignition switched 12v source, such as cigarette lighter, or somewhere in fuse box to turn amp on.

I have a 97 with the 3cd in dash changer with cassette and power antenna that only activates when tuner is on.

Is there any other way to turn an amp on besides the way listed above? I'd rather not have the amp on all the time the ignition is on, or has anyone had problems with this?

Thanks,
STeve
Old 01-17-2004, 08:28 PM

Ive never heard of a way to connect the wire like that. The only way it would work if you had a 12v power source on your radio that could turn on or off. Why dont you want the amp always on when you have your car on.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:09 PM

I would try taking it to a good audio shop to see what they say.

Old 01-18-2004, 06:31 PM

Yeah thats what I thought but after doing the search I found thats what many folks had done to add an amp to their existing factory stereo in their 4runners.

Has anyone who had done this had problems with the amp being on while the car was on but no imput going to it while radio was off?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-19-2004, 02:50 AM

If you're using Toyota factory stereo, there is one wire there that will do 12v remote turn-on. I can't remember that color it is, but I think if you have the multimiter, you should be able to find that wire in no time.

-- Andrey
Old 01-19-2004, 04:26 AM

Dont know if most amps are like this but a few ive owned turned off after a while if there was no signal going to the inputs.

Theyd mostly turn off when Id mute the radio for a long period of time. When id unmute, the subwoofer amp was always the last to power back up. There was about a two second delay.

Dont see why itd be bad to have the amp on if theres no sound. Id imagine it shouldnt be bad at all.....most people have their radios on ALL the time anyways.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:36 AM

You dont really need 12 volts. A couple volts will turn the amp on but anyway, back in the day I had some ghetto setups where Id just wire the amp to a 12 volt source off the ignition. I dont remember having any ill effects. I would think there would be a turn-on wire for the antenna or something on your factory radio though.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: remote turn on for amp to factory radio?

Originally posted by skshepherd
Looks like what most folks have done is just run the remote turn on to a ignition switched 12v source, such as cigarette lighter, or somewhere in fuse box to turn amp on.
Thanks,
STeve
That's the only way. Too bad the antenna goes down when you use the CD, cause that lead would work in most other (non-Toyota) vehicles.

You could always but a switch on the turn-on lead...
Old 01-19-2004, 07:15 AM

Thats what I was thinking, put a switch inline. It is true the radio is on most of the time anyway and if for some reason we had it off for a while I could just flip the switch and shut amp down.

Anyone have the wire color codes for the factory 3cd/cass radio that came in 97?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

david in germany

on the wireing harness there is a wire that controls the stock power antenna if you use this one the amp will shut down when the radio is off but here is the key. there is an open slot onthe connector on the radio (without a wire in it) if you go to salvage yard and get a harness out of another toyota it is simple.. take a really small regular screw driver and take any wire out of the salvaged harness. next take the voltage meter and find the antenna power (the power is off when the radio is off) nex to it right or left (can't remember off hand) there is an empty slot see if there is voltage, then turn off the stereo all together. Did the power go away? that is the one if the answer was yes! stick the salvaged wire into the harness at that point and make sure it is secure..... VIOLA swithched amp power.....
later all!
PS this works on the first generation decks too!
David
Old 01-19-2004, 12:08 PM

In my g/f's 4Runner and in my Jeep I have the amp wired into a switch that is then wired into a ignition wire. That way the subs aren't always on. On my 4Runner I have the amp controlling the two rear speakers on a switch too since at times I only want to barely listen to the fronts.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:22 AM

OEM factory wiring harness, check out pin #9. this is 90-95 wiring, spec for my 90 4runner. that is the antenna trigger for the antenna circuit/relay.

or for $34, do it the right and SAFE way:

http://www.davidnavone.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=N-902
Old 07-08-2004, 08:37 PM

the down fall to running your remote turn on lead straigt to an ignition source is that you will get that thump when you turn the truck on and off. this is not good for the amp or the speakers. the remote turn on lead is designed to turn the amp on after the deck is powerd up and shut it off before the deck shuts down to prevent that thump...hope this helps...
Old 07-09-2004, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

If you dont want to splice into anything or get a second factory harness, just run a lead to the fuse box, there are plenty of switched circuits to use.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:43 AM

Exclamation Amp install for factory stereo on 4th Gen 4R

Hey all, Recently I've got my 07' 4Runner and now I have couple little ideas about my ride... and one of those is to put amp and sub in... it not that I don't like sound in it... it just needed some extra bass some time.. especially when I listen to D'n'B and lots of Trance and house music... so I have factory 6 speakers in, no sub... and I'm not sure If I have JBL... so I did a research and found out how to disassemble front and door panels ---> 4Runner stereo installation.pdf ...also if anybody needs I got circuit diagrams for 07' 4Runner ---> 2007 Toyota 4runner complete Diagrams.pdf ... anyway I am newbe to all of that but have kinda idea about all this... soooo... I did run 8 awg low loss wire for power through firewall and I got 10" JL Audio Sub in "Bassworx" sealed box... and 2 channel audison SRx2 amp (I got those for FrEe ) ... also I have wires that needed to be connected to factory harness...

...now question IS: which wires I need to connect to get it going?

I opened front door panels tonight and I'd seen which wire colors go to front left and right speakers... there are no coding on wiring so I'm not sure where is "+" and "-" ...
One more question... should I parallel connect amp to front or rear speakers???

Please help..

oh.. and I didn't decide yet where to mount amp :thanks:
Attached Thumbnails remote turn on for amp to factory radio?-ampli-auto-audison-srx-2.jpg   remote turn on for amp to factory radio?-rsz_oleh_003.jpg   remote turn on for amp to factory radio?-rsz_oleh_009.jpg