YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/)
-   -   Pioneer VS. Alpine (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/pioneer-vs-alpine-30377/)

Churnd 04-08-2004 10:03 PM

Pioneer VS. Alpine

Alright guys... I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I was originally set on selling my Pioneer Premier DEH-P740MP, and replace it with an Alpine CDA-9815. This is mainly because I have always been under the impression that Alpine is slightly better than Pioneer.

Well, I had the unit ordered and everything... and got an email today saying that it's on back-order with no idea when it'll become available. They offered me instead an Alpine CDA-9835, but with $10 off that price for my troubles. :roll: I know, I know... at least it's something.

So I got to thinking... is this upgrade actually gonna be worth it. I did a little research on some car audio forums and found out that most people consider pioneer and alpine to be equals. If that's the case, then this purchase might be a bad decision.

Mainly what I'm looking for here is processing ability. I don't use the receiver's amp, as I have it hooked up to an external amp. Basically, it's going to come down to whether or not the Alpine can play CD's and MP3's better than my Pioneer.

So let me have it... what do you think?

I should also add that if I go for the Alpine, I'll be out about $300, and that's after selling my Pioneer.

Mossback74 04-08-2004 10:13 PM

Depending on how much you can get for your Pioneer, I dont think it's worth it to do the upgrade right now. Personally I prefer Alpine over Pioneer but if you're happy with your current HU, I doubt you'll be getting much more out of a newer, much more expensive model

Birdman 04-08-2004 10:47 PM

I have been looking into recevier for a while now and am tossed up between the Alpine CDA-7998 or the CDA-9835 and the Pioneer DEH-P8600MP. The large face of the CDA-7998 is sweet but it's not removeable. Guess that's what insurance is for. They all have a great set of features and are all well made. I think it's a matter of preference at this "premier" level anyway.

superjoe83 04-09-2004 12:25 AM

I bought my Pioneer DEH-1000 from a friend for $25 three years ago and it has been working great since. The best thing about it is that the face colors match my dash lights. All of my friends are Pioneer guys, so this may be a bit biased, but my friends and myself have had no real problems with Pioneer. I personally think that Pioneer and Alpine's quality is about the same, i would go with the one you like the best. I just remembered that i have an Alpine alarm, and no problems with that either :banger:

Andrey 04-09-2004 01:14 AM

wow, I just looked at Pioneer's website to see what's the difference between my current DEH-P8500MP and new version of it and I'm literally speechless, it's all in the color now:

old version:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn..._38309,00.html

new version:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...891896,00.html

I'll try so hard not to upgrade because the sound quality is the same, but color graphics.... Oh boy, why do they do that?!?

-- Andrey

SLC Punk 04-09-2004 03:13 AM

What reason other than "you think Alpline stuff is better" do you have for replacing it? :think:I think that if you are happy with it, then just keep it and wait until it goes out. By then there will be a whole new generation of HU's out.

IMO, my brand preferences are as follows:
Eclipse
Alpine
Sony
Pioneer

Lefty 04-09-2004 05:18 AM

From what I've found doing some research on the topic, Alpine and Pioneer sound quality is comparable. Loosing $300 to simply switch brands and end up with the same sound quality doesn't seem like a wise decision.

But it's not my money, either...

Steve

rimpainter.com 04-09-2004 05:49 AM

I can give you personal testimony from both sides. I have owned both Alpine and Pioneer. Both have lasted a long time, and both had great sound. Of course, I am talking about the $200 - $300 category.

I cannot get my Pioneer to skip - even on washboard roads. As for my old Alpine, well that is a different story.

Churnd 04-09-2004 07:39 AM

Thanks for the advice, guys. The more I think about it, the more I realize that I'd be paying $300 for sound quality that "might" (but probably won't) be better, and that I "might" be able to tell the difference between the two. It's not worth it. I guess I just got bit by the mod bug and had the fever for a couple of days. :D
I actually think my main problem with my sound system is that the speakers aren't set up well enough. I have the tweeters mounted on the door columns to where they're pointed at the person's head. See my website for the pics. (I'm on dialup right now and it'd just be too painful to post). There is a "sweet spot" if I put my head where the arm rest is in the front seat. I need to do something about that.

I've noticed that most systems tend to mount the tweeters on the door, aiming directly at each other, which I think is so the sound will envelope into a bigger sweet spot into the cab. I also notice that on other cars, they mount the tweeters on the dash under the windshield so that they'll reflect off of the windshield and back to the cab, dispersing the sound wave better.

So I need to move the tweeters to a better location. I could put them flush in the door so that they'll point towards each other, but they'd be adjustable. I could put them lower in the door right above the woofer, and angle them up, or I could mount them up higher on the drivers side column but at an angle that points more towards each other and not straight at the person sitting next to them.

Just a couple ideas. Let me know what you think.

2001Millrunner 04-09-2004 08:43 AM

I believe they're all the same....I'm happy with my alpine, I always buy Alpine because i like the design and their logo(lol) better, plus i-personalize feature is nice because you can put your own text when unit boots up. :bigok:

stoutshady 04-09-2004 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Churnd
Thanks for the advice, guys. The more I think about it, the more I realize that I'd be paying $300 for sound quality that "might" (but probably won't) be better, and that I "might" be able to tell the difference between the two. It's not worth it. I guess I just got bit by the mod bug and had the fever for a couple of days. :D
I actually think my main problem with my sound system is that the speakers aren't set up well enough. I have the tweeters mounted on the door columns to where they're pointed at the person's head. See my website for the pics. (I'm on dialup right now and it'd just be too painful to post). There is a "sweet spot" if I put my head where the arm rest is in the front seat. I need to do something about that.

I've noticed that most systems tend to mount the tweeters on the door, aiming directly at each other, which I think is so the sound will envelope into a bigger sweet spot into the cab. I also notice that on other cars, they mount the tweeters on the dash under the windshield so that they'll reflect off of the windshield and back to the cab, dispersing the sound wave better.

So I need to move the tweeters to a better location. I could put them flush in the door so that they'll point towards each other, but they'd be adjustable. I could put them lower in the door right above the woofer, and angle them up, or I could mount them up higher on the drivers side column but at an angle that points more towards each other and not straight at the person sitting next to them.

Just a couple ideas. Let me know what you think.

Kick panels for better imaging. You will sacrifice some foot room, but the sweet spot will be right at your head. Q-forms work good, but you have to reinforce them with fiberglass for strength. Maybe you can use that 300 dollars and get a better set of components as well.

Churnd 04-09-2004 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by stoutshady
Kick panels for better imaging. You will sacrifice some foot room, but the sweet spot will be right at your head. Q-forms work good, but you have to reinforce them with fiberglass for strength. Maybe you can use that 300 dollars and get a better set of components as well.

I just want to move the tweeters. I've already cut a big hole in the door panel to mount the speakers.

I thought about using kick panels before, but my truck's a stick and they'd probably interfere with the clutch. I don't think I'd like that. Thanks though.

CLin9383 04-09-2004 12:33 PM

alpine is known for heating up faster...after 20 or 30 of usage, my alpine feels really warm, and when i take the CD out, that too is warm to the touch..few of my friends said they have burned out the alpine headunits and they stick to clarion now...but my headunit is fine so i'll just keep using it

2001Millrunner 04-09-2004 01:26 PM

mine has fan in the back...i guess alpine is not that stupid :bigok:

Fink 04-09-2004 02:10 PM

I love my new CDA-9827, now I know its not as nice as some of the other ones that you guys have but I love it...it fits my needs perfectly and going from my COMPLETELY stock system to this new system is like the difference between day and night...its absolutely amazing!

I have always loved Alpine...the only things I use Pioneer for are when I build computers, they are a very well-known brand when it comes to computer components...but as far as car audio, Alpine all the way.

That is all IMHO of course :rockon:

Fink:devil:

Cebby 04-09-2004 05:36 PM

When did Pioneer make a big leap forward in SQ? Granted I've been away from the scene for a while, but IMO, the Premiere stuff approaches Alpines SQ, but I don't recall it being better.

I've heard that some of the mainstream Alpine stuff you see at Crutchfield etc, isn't doing the Alpine reputation any justice. Kind of sucks that they have diluted the brand for the almightly dollar. The high end Alpine stuff is still great IMO.

gn86r 04-10-2004 06:53 AM

why stick with only alpine or pioneer? like slcpunk, i really like the eclipse head units. i orginally had an alpine 7941 in my old car and switched to an eclipse 5442. everything in my system remained the same amps, subs, speakers and i was amazed at the difference in sq. really, im just wondering why you're stuck between just these 2 brands..

weezy 04-10-2004 07:35 AM

I would keep what you have until it breaks or becomes obsolete.

RLJSlick 04-10-2004 08:26 AM

Get the Pioneer!

Originally Posted by Churnd
Alright guys... I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I was originally set on selling my Pioneer Premier DEH-P740MP, and replace it with an Alpine CDA-9815. This is mainly because I have always been under the impression that Alpine is slightly better than Pioneer.

Well, I had the unit ordered and everything... and got an email today saying that it's on back-order with no idea when it'll become available. They offered me instead an Alpine CDA-9835, but with $10 off that price for my troubles. :roll: I know, I know... at least it's something.

So I got to thinking... is this upgrade actually gonna be worth it. I did a little research on some car audio forums and found out that most people consider pioneer and alpine to be equals. If that's the case, then this purchase might be a bad decision.

Mainly what I'm looking for here is processing ability. I don't use the receiver's amp, as I have it hooked up to an external amp. Basically, it's going to come down to whether or not the Alpine can play CD's and MP3's better than my Pioneer.

So let me have it... what do you think?

I should also add that if I go for the Alpine, I'll be out about $300, and that's after selling my Pioneer.

Get the Pioneer, I'm so happy with mine, works great and pickup all the hard channels that i couldn't with the stock head unit. I can play any of the computer formats like MP3, WMA. Enjoy!

Alpine CDA-7894-2

Ricky

Brendan 04-10-2004 05:16 PM

Nakamichi are heads and shoulders above all others mentioned