Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Cerwin Vega Under-Seat Subwoofer Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 12:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cerwin Vega Under-Seat Subwoofer Install

Just bit the bullet and installed a powered, enclosed subwoofer. After doing a bunch of research I decided on the Cerwin Vega VPAS10. It's a 10" Subwoofer rated at 450 Max/ 200 RMS. The main reason I decided on the Vega instead of say the Kenwood or Kicker (both have great ratings) is that its a solid 10" sub. The Kicker is an 8" and I didnt like how they came up with a wired plug for installation. The Kenwood is an oval thats like 8x5 and not very powerful. Also, the Vega, even though it is a larger speaker, had the shallowest mounting depth. I believe its something like 2.6". Installation was straight forward. Mounted it with velcro under the driver's seat of my 1993 Toyota Pickup SR5 ext. cab. I did have to lift the rear of the seat by about an inch just to give the speaker some "breathing" room. I accomplished this by grabbing two 1" lug nuts that I had lying around, putting them between the seat mount and cab floor as spacers and bought some Grade 8.8 M10x1.25 (40) bolts. I kept the gains on the actual sub enclosure dialed all the way down and controlled the sound with the EQ on my JVC kdr775s head unit. Does a great job filling the cab with deep bass (35 hz low pass filter). Wont set your neighbors alarm off but will kill some brain cells if played too loud. It is nice having a 10" sub in my truck and it literally taking up 0 useful space. Just thought I'd share my experience since I had a very difficult time actually finding human reviews on these types of speakers/enclosures. If any one has any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by Remme; 03-07-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Nice to know such a shallow mount sub is available...
BUT, pics or it did not happen.
Pls pls pls

(I was contemplating actually building an enclosure within the body panels in the rear but the $170 price-tag on the Cerwin Vega VPAS10's is more appealing.)

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 03-08-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:05 AM

Dont mind the mess....installing LEDs
Under the seat while in driving position
Under the seat @ full forward
Rear foot space with seat fully back
Subwoofer exposed w/ seat fully forward.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Nice Install!
my only concern would be that your speaker wire (maybe a ground) looks kind of vulnerable hanging out there like that.
maybe it is a non issue if you don't slide the seat back and forth a bunch with kids/dog hopping in the back
Old 03-09-2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Nice Install!
my only concern would be that your speaker wire (maybe a ground) looks kind of vulnerable hanging out there like that...
Yes, looks like a ground and potentially could be tucked in better. Someone on T4R used a Pioneer under-seat sub. I asked him how it looks with seat fully forward and backward.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:19 PM

No kids. I try to never move the driver seat, I have it set just right! I needed the long ground wire to be able to move the sub without having to mess with the tiny aluminum set screws. Which is probably my only complaint about this speaker. Those tiny fragile set screws for the Ground/Power and Remote. The Pioneer looked good too but was very similar to the Kenwood. Weird oblong speaker.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Remme
... Weird oblong speaker....
Oh, I see. I prefer simple round sub-woofer like yours. Thanks!