Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

90-95 4runner aftermarket radio install

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90-95 4runner aftermarket radio install

Very simple, easy install. Fun project to do.

Bought this on Sonicelectronix.com for right under $100 and it came with a free wiring harness and installation kit. WIRING HARNESSES SAVES LIVES! This will make the install %1000000 quicker and is just simply the best way to go. <br/>

I purchased this so i can upgrade to a sub and amp. Kenwood makes great radios so it wasnt hard to make my decision.

This was the harness that came with the new unit.

These two connectors are the wiring harness that came separately with the radio so that you can plug them in from the factory amplifier.

I got a piece of paper and wrote down what each wire was from each harness, and paired them up accordingly. writing them down to match them up is a good way to be sure that you are crimping the right wires together. as you can see, i wired the two harnesses together using the diagrams that can supplied with each.

---> http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/869017.pdf <--- if you need help taking the dash apart.

Once you take the dash apart and get the old stereo out,(you will reuse the factory mounts from the old radio for your new installation kit) you with notice a small silver box. This is the factory amplifier. disconnect the two clips on the underside of the amp (blue) and these are the two that go into the new harness. Once this is done, you can then take out the old amplifier because it is no longer used.

factory amplifier.

my faceplate didnt quiet fit like i wanted it too, so i just didnt put it on.

Hoped this helped! any questions feel free to reply!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Nice!
Old 09-25-2017, 10:45 AM

I have a 91 pickup, and I just went to do the same, but my bracket doesn't seem to fit. It sticks my radio too far out. Granted, when I bought the truck, it had nothing in it, so I am trying to piece everything back together. The brackets I have are supposed to be for my truck, but do you have a pic of how the bracket fits in the console? THanks.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:03 PM

I’m a little confused and need some help...

Okay I have a 1993 4runner and I just got it running after it’s been sitting for 3 years so there was a lot of rats living in it and chewed some wires... I’m pretty sure I fixed the chewed wires but there could be more that I cant see, but anyway I have a older aftermarket single din stereo and I’ve been trying to install it but somethings not right.. the car had no stereo and the owner that had it before me cut holes in the door for speaker but he ripped them out. So the factory amp I’m pretty sure I blew it when I was messing with stuff because I’m not getting any power from the plug coming off of the amp, but I’m getting power to the plug going into the amp... but here’s the weird thing... when i plug in aftermarket plugs that go directly from the wire harness straight to the stereo, so it’s pretty much bypasses the amp.. my stereo turns on but my speakers don’t work, but what’s really weird is that if I jump (grey wire) with the (red wire) which is + I’m pretty sure... it makes my door dinger come on and door/dome lights work and my clock turns on, so I’m confused what is wrong with my rig, why does none of my accessories work unless I jump those wires together, do I need the amp? Does some of my lights/clock run off the amp? I dont know any help would be much appreciated thanks guys!