YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Site Feedback (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f92/)
-   -   some body should make a sticky thread (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f92/some-body-should-make-sticky-thread-223738/)

yotarover 11-09-2010 09:29 AM

some body should make a sticky thread

i know I'm not the only one that has been having major problems with my truck. it seems that a lot of ppl are having issues with their truck/runner running like crap and replacing parts is going no where to solve the problem.

so im going to compile every bit of information i can find on what the hell is wrong. so we don't have to keep searching and asking 500 questions a day.

snobdds 11-09-2010 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by yotarover (Post 51590602)
i know I'm not the only one that has been having major problems with my truck. it seems that a lot of ppl are having issues with their truck/runner running like crap and replacing parts is going no where to solve the problem.

so im going to compile every bit of information i can find on what the hell is wrong. so we don't have to keep searching and asking 500 questions a day.

:nopity: I find the answers to every question I need by searching...

MudHippy 11-09-2010 10:35 AM

Toyota has already done the research on solving nearly every possible issue that can arise with these vehicles. It's called the Factory Service Manual.

The wide-spread epidemic I see on a daily basis around here is failure to go directly to the FSM first for reference. The pages found within it on diagnostics and troubleshooting are exhaustive and comprehensive. There are very few instances in which advice is actually needed from experienced mechanics or technicians. Provided you can read and have the ability to understand that which you've read, the FSM is the only help you really need in most cases.

But, having said that, I don't necessarily have too much of a problem with showing folks where to begin in regards to specific issues. Even though I'm constantly having to refer them to the source of the greater portion of the knowledge I've obtained about these vehicles, the FSM. And that's, after all, why YT deserves and maitains it's newbie friendly status among the multitude of Toyota information networks. That's also part of what I enjoy about the involvement I partake in here. I like to help people, and take pride in the fact that alot of folks are genuinely thankful for the words of wisdom and guidance I can provide them.

I think the whole "sticky" theory is a good one. But in an effort to simplify my own searches for information, I'd actually rather see less, not more of them. It's my opinion that most of them are pretty much useless, and obviously aren't read by many. Because if they were, then there would surely be a great deal less threads started that pertain to matters already thoroughly discussed in them. Meaning most newbies who should be reading through the "stickies" first and asking questions later, simply don't do that. That's plainly obvious to me atleast. My guess is by the time someone's learned how to find them, it's too late. By then they've already asked questions that are covered in one or more of them. Or could be found answered in a non-stickied thread.

Which brings me to the next problem I see as all too prevelant, lack of searching. As many will agree is a big time issue, even among those who have been here for some time and have dozens of posts to their credit. If you see my sig, it's apparent that's a major concern I have, and would like to see change. I'll continue to try and find ways to fix that. Though it's an uphill battle, and won't likely ever be resolved completely.

snobdds 11-09-2010 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy (Post 51590669)
Toyota has already done the research on solving nearly every possible issue that can arise with these vehicles. It's called the Factory Service Manual.

The wide-spread epidemic I see on a daily basis around here is failure to go directly to the FSM first for reference. The pages found within it on diagnostics and troubleshooting are exhaustive and comprehensive. There are very few instances in which advice is actually needed from experienced mechanics or technicians. Provided you can read and have the ability to understand that which you've read, the FSM is the only help you really need in most cases.

But, having said that, I don't necessarily have too much of a problem with showing folks where to begin in regards to specific issues. Even though I'm constantly having to refer them to the source of the greater portion of the knowledge I've obtained about these vehicles, the FSM. And that's, after all, why YT deserves and maitains it's newbie friendly status among the multitude of Toyota information networks. That's also part of what I enjoy about the involvement I partake in here. I like to help people, and take pride in the fact that alot of folks are genuinely thankful for the words of wisdom and guidance I can provide them.

I think the whole "sticky" theory is a good one. But in an effort to simplify my own searches for information, I'd actually rather see less, not more of them. It's my opinion that most of them are pretty much useless, and obviously aren't read by many. Because if they were, then there would surely be a great deal less threads started that pertain to matters already thoroughly discussed in them. Meaning most newbies who should be reading through the "stickies" first and asking questions later, simply don't do that. That's plainly obvious to me atleast. My guess is by the time someone's learned how to find them, it's too late. By then they've already asked questions that are covered in one or more of them. Or could be found answered in a non-stickied thread.

Which brings me to the next problem I see as all too prevelant, lack of searching. As many will agree is a big time issue, even among those who have been here for some time and have dozens of posts to their credit. If you see my sig, it's apparent that's a major concern I have, and would like to see change. I'll continue to try and find ways to fix that. Though it's an uphill battle, and won't likely ever be resolved completely.

Amen MudHippy Amen

dropzone 11-09-2010 01:25 PM

Hey Yotarover: remember this sticky about bad language?