YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Site Feedback (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f92/)
-   -   New pop ups (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f92/new-pop-ups-139167/)

Hasbeen 03-05-2008 03:09 AM

New pop ups

Yes they exist. And yes they suck. And yes I know what a pop up blocker is and how to use it.

Some people use a computer at work where you can't download new software, such as pop up blockers.

I hate them. Just thought you'd like to know. I get redirected to other web sites and all kinds of dumb ass crap.

Corey 03-05-2008 03:15 AM

I am at work now running Firefox with no pop up blocker on, and I am not seeing any pop ups.

I see the banners for Circuit City, Jessica Alba's new movie Awake, but nothing pops out or a separate window for me.

You say it is redirecting you to another site without clicking on it?

I have forwarded this info so it can be looked into.

Paul H. 03-05-2008 03:33 PM

Corey, I just had a popup appear out of no where while browsing the second gen. area. I was halfway down the page when a popup for a movie appeared. I right clicked in open space and it disappeared. This was the second time today that this has happened. The first time was in off-topic and I was again down towards the middle of the page. It was also for a movie. Never had this happen before.

Corey 03-05-2008 03:39 PM

Have not seen that Paul, even without a blocker.
I forwarded this thread to the advertising department earlier today so they can look into this.

run4her 03-05-2008 03:53 PM

Ya i get a circut city one too lol.

gilby4runner 03-05-2008 04:49 PM

I posted about this yesterday... I have a pop up blocker. I even use the google blocker that is currently advertised at the top of my screen. (ironic) No, i do not have or plan on getting fire fox. These banner ads are expanding even when i am nowhere near them. I can have another page in front of my YT page and it will pop up. (hope that makes sense).... I understand the site needs money but come on.

stormin94 03-05-2008 10:47 PM

This is covered in my "Non Political Thread".

Sorry, but I have to promote it when I can, so maybe it can be our "complain about the new ads" thread.:jk:

brentcole5 03-06-2008 12:45 AM

Ive been browsing on here for like a half hour and have had six movie ads jump out at me and i have the comcast pop-up blocker, im not saying ill leave the site or anything nor am angry yet, but it's definately a little annoying.

Corey 03-06-2008 01:32 AM

I have sent another email to a few more contacts on this issue.

It is strange though that even with Firefox on my other two PCs (old tower, and new laptop) and no pop up blocker, I do not see these roll over pop out/expand, whatever they are called ads.

I refuse to use Internet Explorer, Firefox is a much better proven browser, and this may be why I do not see them.

blarchitect 03-06-2008 05:21 AM

These new ads are a little annoying. Can't we choose to view them, regardless of browser?

SOAZtim 03-06-2008 06:46 AM

I agree these are some really annoying new suckers. They jump out if you even get your mouse close to them and sometimes when you're not even near them. Maybe if we all use the current google adds more they won't need these new annoying ones:
I went and clicked on a few of the google adds, to help the yotatech cause, we should all check out the links in the google adds. It pays yotatech each time we click.
:)

nix4x4 03-06-2008 06:50 AM

Yup. I've been getting the Circuit City ad at the top of
the page and a movie ad at the bottom. Ironically,
it happened just after the "Farewell Yotatech" hissy fit
thread (not the coffee thread).

Not at all worth leaving the site for good, but it does get
pretty annoying.

Brenjen 03-06-2008 07:40 AM

I suppose I'm going to have to surf this site on IE7 to see what all the fuss is about, I haven't ever had any problems.

metalhed 03-06-2008 08:55 AM

It happens all the time, when I surf at work (on a govt computer) and pop-ups occur on other pages open if front of Yota tech.
annoying!!

circuit city, movies, etc

Corey 03-06-2008 11:22 AM

Any better?

bleakhorizon 03-06-2008 11:25 AM

I know everyone hates these also, but if you guys like this site being up they are almost mandatory (because i know not everyone here gives donations) and the simple fact is that this site is not free to operate, someone somewhere whether they know it or not, is getting paid to operate, and keep this site maintained

Tacoclimber 03-06-2008 11:44 AM

I'm running Firefox, no probs.

Firefox rocks.

Corey 03-06-2008 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber (Post 50771293)
I'm running Firefox, no probs.

Firefox rocks.

You got that right!

Those ads were not suppose to be like that, the vendor kind of pulled one.

Paul H. 03-06-2008 02:07 PM

No problems so far today, I will let you know if it happens again.

Hallz97SR5 03-06-2008 02:11 PM

Yes! I agree. These banner pop-ups are so annoying! They pop up whether you are near them or not! I understand the need for ads, cuz somehow you gotta get some $$ to run the site. But I hate em!
But I love YotaTech!