YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   The Fab Shop (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/)
-   -   Thaught i would show my remote turbo setup. (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/thaught-i-would-show-my-remote-turbo-setup-142428/)

zlathim 04-11-2008 07:54 AM

It is a cool setup though Dustin- Keep at it until you get it to function well. If you set it up as a completely remote oil system, make sure that you can monitor the oil pressure in the cab.

Dustin Songer 04-11-2008 08:08 AM

It is a cool setup though Dustin- Keep at it until you get it to function well. If you set it up as a completely remote oil system, make sure that you can monitor the oil pressure in the cab.
Thanks, thats a good idea, ill do that.

cutboggers 04-11-2008 08:08 AM

why the bed location???? simply for space or what?

Dustin Songer 04-11-2008 08:48 AM

A few things. On of my main concerns was overefficiency. Yeah it sounds weird but i didnt want the turbo to be spooling like crazy, i only wanted the boost when i needed it. So a remote setup seemed like a good idea, then, i put it in the bed to keep it out the water when im in rivers and whatnot, and it was an easy place to put it. Im not using that space for anything so why not? haha

aviator 04-11-2008 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dustin Songer (Post 50803308)
A few things. On of my main concerns was overefficiency. Yeah it sounds weird but i didnt want the turbo to be spooling like crazy, i only wanted the boost when i needed it. So a remote setup seemed like a good idea, then, i put it in the bed to keep it out the water when im in rivers and whatnot, and it was an easy place to put it. Im not using that space for anything so why not? haha

It'd be a pain but you could put some kind of by-pass valve in the exhaust, old time hot rodders used to do it, basically with the valve in one position the exhaust flowed through the system and in the other it went straight overboard out of the head pipe for drag racing. In your systm it would just flow through the turbo or not. If you used a double valve [before and after the turbo] you could prevent back-flow and just use the one tail pipe but it would be a very complex system then.

Dustin Songer 04-11-2008 11:17 AM

Haha, key word being complicated. I was thinking of doing the bypass setup but i figured that the boost wouldn't come on to soon. I did this mostly just to see if i could and to get a couple horses out of the old thing. But i mostly wanted to know if you could boost a carb without modding it, a knowledge expander if you will.

Dustin

camo31_10.50 04-11-2008 12:31 PM

wouldn't running a turbo be harmful on that lil 22R..like on the internals..since it wasnt built to run a turbo...or would it matter?...if i can im gonna either swap in a 22RET/R151F or a cummins 4BT with a VERY strong tranny...not sure what tranny to use..anybody know of a REALLY strong 5spd tranny..that will fit my '80 toyota...like dimensions...it doesnt have to be a toyota tranny..thanks!..sorry bout the hijack

Dustin Songer 04-11-2008 01:47 PM

as far as trannies go i dont know, im happy with my 4 speed. But almost any engine that has a good reputation for being strong can take up to 6 or 7 lbs of INTERCOOLED air. The only reason im not using an intercooler is because: 1. i dont have the little one off my audi yet that i want to use and 2. there is so much distance the charge air has to run through the air is cooled off enough by the time it gets to the engine and 3. you realy have to put your foot in it to get more than 4-5 psi. Im pretty sure im blowing some crap by the rings right now but i need to do a good tune up on the engine and putting better rings in there wouldnt be a bad idea.

Dustin Songer 04-11-2008 01:50 PM

Dont take that as the final word in turboing an engine, i have a nickname among my friends and its NST (nothing's sacred tuner) because of my lack of caring for whats supposed to work and whats not supposed to. I have a tendency to blow up engines. so dont go turboing your wives camry like this.

unclejstoy 04-14-2008 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dustin Songer (Post 50803525)
, i have a nickname among my friends and its NST (nothing's sacred tuner) because of my lack of caring for whats supposed to work and whats not supposed to. I have a tendency to blow up engines.

:(

I have seen remote turbos kits and was gonna pat you on the back for your engineering.

But after reading your comments......... are you that rich and board you can just go blowup moters and not care ??????

I don't understand :think:

Dustin Songer 04-14-2008 12:44 PM

no, im not rich at all. thats the problem. I havent realy blown up to many motors, i think 3. and they were all in my z. Those motors were all blown while i was on leave, cuz i spent 2 years in italy and a year in afganistan so i would push it every time i was home. What nst means is that when it comes to something thats not supposed to be done, i try to engineer a way around it to make it work without worring about little things like a blown engine. engines arent that expensive and the knowledge i gained from every engine was invaluable. I repeat, i am not rich. ( i would have a oil system for the turbo already if i was.)

unclejstoy 04-16-2008 05:09 AM

i wasent trying 2 bust yo balls i was just wondering. Thx for explaining the other moters.

But no oil 2 turbo bad. hell thats the only thing i don;t like about a remote kit.
all that moter oil traveling so far away from the moter. definitely need a oil pump upgrade.

Dustin Songer 04-16-2008 05:15 AM

Well thanks then. As far as the oil is concerned, that would be a rediculous distance for the oil to travel and your oil pump would lose alot of precious energy in doing so. Thats why im building its own remote oil system with its own oil source in the other side of the bed and then i will just have an electric pump of some kind moving it to trhe turbo and back

TruckAddOns 04-18-2008 05:06 AM

Impressive fab work.

Dustin Songer 04-18-2008 01:21 PM

Impressive fab work.
Well thank you, thats very flattering coming from someone who deals with profesional products daily.

Napoleon047 04-22-2008 10:32 AM

You should have run the engine feed pipe under the passenger side of the truck. As for your oil pump: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku