The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

semi flatbed design idea need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
semi flatbed design idea need opinions

I had a idea of making a flatbed design ive been thinking of. The bed will be cut down 3-5 inches and the exo cage bars will be 1.5-1.75 dom tube running from the frame out of the fenders over the top and for the main hoop the bed will be cut so the bars will go to the frame. the recessed diamond plate box opens from each side of the bed and black line will be where steel will make a flat bed. the steel will be braced and the truck will still have a functional tailgate only shorter. under the braced flatbed will be a storage section for OBA, Dual Battery, and Tools only excessable by the tailgate, and one flip up hatch in the front of the bed which will be braced, recessed, and locked with a flush mount lock. For the rear exo bars I will make each bar a link on each end with a greaseable bushing so that with four bolts the rear bars could come off with ease for hauling and stored under the flatbed. I use my truck for a little bit of everything: DD, wheeling, hauling, daddymobile, so something like this design ive thought up would make more since, and I dont like conventional flat beds as much. I can build everything myself just wanting to see what other ppl think about it, constructive critisism will be greatly apreciated.

theres are the greasable links I mentioned

UPDATE: I traded my truck last night for this new yota, its 22re all stock on 31s. Its almos the same truck just smaller with less miles lol, plus I got some spare money in my pocket now to buy a new lift or go sas, just have to make mind up now.
heres a pic of the new truck

its even the same brand of tires lol

Last edited by travisbaker; 09-22-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:15 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
OK i have to ask, whats wrong with the bed. Your truck looks good as it is. I love the body and bed after 88.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:40 AM

imo i say leave it how it is! great looking truck by the way
Old 09-21-2011, 06:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like a great plan.

are you adding anything to protect your rear window? with your new bed floor at the top of the rails, and with the tool box flush mounted, your cargo could slide forward through the rear window.

also, you could have two cross bars over the roof, with the front bar set back behind the windshield far enough, you could add an air deflection type piece like Yakima bike racks typically have, which may be a cool look. then cut some circles in it so lights on the cross bar could shine through the plate. lights would have full protection from overhangs.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Teuf-nothing is really wrong with the bed, it has one small dent now under the tail light, but thats not the point. I want to have something I can haul smaller stuff and keep dry and locked up like my welder power pack and other tools. the flatbed will be for hauling anything bigger including my two dirtbikes. Thats why I plan on making the two rear bars able to unbolt with a four link end. I know the structural integraty will be fine with that.

LGs Woody- thanks for the compliment

TJ884RDLX- the exo cage will have a cowl cross bar, a X across the roof. I plan on making a headache rack too to protect the back window which will connect to the exo.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 PM

Also I plan on having 6 D rings on top of the flatbed so cargo will be easy to strap down.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
sounds really sweet and well thought out, maybe you can make a tool drawer under there too? let us know how it turns out
Old 09-21-2011, 05:54 PM

yoterr- yeah a tool drawer was kind of a idea for the storage. under the flatbed should have a 5 gallon air tank, viar air compressor, dual batterys in tig welded diamond plate battery box i made, battery isolator, high lift jack, straps, towing cables, spare tire. that way i still have plenty of room on top of the storage.

I also had the idea shaving the tail lights out with fillers and running oval, circle offroad lights for my brakes, turn, reverse.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:58 PM

haha i like where your going, wish i had body fab skills...
Old 09-21-2011, 06:06 PM

I cant take all the credit, my friend will be helping me with the final body work after I plasma cut everything and get everything braced and welded. Im thinking I might just buy another bed because I am debating getting the 5 inch buldge front fenders, and if I do that I want another bed to experiment making the rear wheel well part of the bed buldge out. Still got alot of ideas running threw my head but Im going to run with this idea and see how it goes.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:04 AM

with how clean your trucks looks i dont see you needing any kind of ego cage at all? are you planning to wheel a lot harder after doing the cage?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:46 AM

bttrs-- yeah i wheel some decently trails on some of my friends land, some steep hill climbs, and a couple mud holes. I want the exo just for the added satisfaction that if I roll the truck I know im safe without loossing what little room i have inside the truck. Ive almost rolled the truck a couple times before and I want to be more safe, while having a flat bed to haul big stuff.

also a close friend of mine had a good idea that with the back bars disconnected I could use the flat bed to put up a small tent for overnight camping, for added protection from snakes and other small animals.

Last edited by travisbaker; 09-22-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im a littel cornfused, are you takin the bed off and makin a flatbed? that truck looks so familiar. 35s, 3in body and 4in susp? ive seen it on some website a few years back. super nice truck

Originally Posted by bttrs
with how clean your trucks looks i dont see you needing any kind of ego cage at all? are you planning to wheel a lot harder after doing the cage?
haha, hes probably just smarter than me and is puttin a cage on before he beats it half to death like i did my truck lol
Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 PM

just do what i did for camping no need to take the bars off like i did
Old 09-22-2011, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do what you want and like don't let people tell you other wise I may not need an exo myself but I want one and it would be nice to have if/when I flop or roll
Old 09-22-2011, 12:34 PM

not telling him not to just bouncing ideas around
Old 09-22-2011, 02:13 PM

i plan on bulging mine via the super cheapo mod of $0 dollars and a ford jack, seen it on a pre-runner forum somewhere, it only gives about 2-3" just using some blocks of wood on the inside of the bed and outside with the jack in the middle and jack till it looks good
Old 09-22-2011, 02:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
try looking HERE for Toyota flatbed inspiration

I would suggest using "tube clamps" instead of rod ends.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:44 PM

yoder519--- its not really a normal flatbed, the bed will be cut shorter in highth and have a braced flatbed on top, it will be like a flush tonnoeau cover that you can haul 3 dirtbikes ontop of, i guess would be a good example of what im trying to say.

bttrs--I actually looked at your build on your truck today cause I like how your camping set up is. does yours strap under the bed to hold it tight to the bed?

yoterr-- I know what your saying I saw it on a ford ranger prerunner forum, I figure if Im gonna do it I want 5 inches of buldge

highonpottery--Ill have too look up those tube clamps, I just figured the four link bars would be tough cause I had a bagged truck at one time and it went threw all kind of dragging abuse lol and never once broke. well the four link didnt break the frame got drug in half almost ha.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:46 PM

black 1985 sr5-- yeah Im with you Id rather be safe than sorry if that day comes which I know it will ha.

Quick Reply: semi flatbed design idea need opinions