YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   The Fab Shop (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/)
-   -   SAS vs IFS (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/sas-vs-ifs-55460/)

blainelukens 03-28-2005 08:26 PM

SAS vs IFS

Ok so I am a newby at this and was wondering if someone could sum up the advantages of a sas compared to ifs, if I wanted to lift my 89 PU, would it be better to do an AAL in the back and a SAS or just go for a 4" suspension lift?
Based off of what I know the IFS won't flex nearly as much as the SAS, except the SAS takes some time to install.
Any help would be great.
Thanks, Blaine

RobT2k 03-28-2005 08:40 PM

Use the search button.

Then read until you can't read anymore.
Then decide your needs for what type of terrain you wheel on.
This road has been travelled many times. Use others experiences/posts to help you make the best choice.

upndair 03-29-2005 06:53 PM

Short and skinny, it depends on what you want to end up with. The SAS undoubtedly is the best performance option, UNLESS your doing fire road running, desert baha stuff, etc. For typical trail running the SAS is your best option.
There are many very capable IFS rigs out there that perform very well, however, I challenge you to find someone who has done the SAS, who wishes they hadn't.

Flygtenstein 03-29-2005 07:13 PM

If you need to ask, IFS will do fine.

You don't just hang a solid axle. It is comparable parts cost wise, do buying a new Superlift type kit. Difference is you get performance gain.

Buy a rear locker, it will get you to half the places you want to go. Buy a front locker and it will get you to about half of what is left.

upndair 03-29-2005 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein

That's a great line!

96LtdYota 03-29-2005 07:15 PM

You don't just hang a solid axle. It is comparable parts cost wise, do buying a new Superlift type kit. Difference is you get performance gain.

Buy a rear locker, it will get you to half the places you want to go. Buy a front locker and it will get you to about half of what is left.

I dont think ive heard it worded better.... Great Posting :good:

Beaux

AxleIke 04-09-2005 11:22 PM

IFS will do fine.

Precisely. Don't waste money on super expensive IFS lifts either. They aren't nessesary. Some BJ Spacers will work fine, so you can fit 33's. Spend your money on body protection, you'll need it long before you need a solid axle.

4RocRunner92 04-13-2005 01:58 PM

Thats good input, but do you mean the front is better cause of steering purposes or thats just what you will get out of each one? I'm looking to get locked up, but I don't know if I should buy a front or rear first. Can you guys PM me with some input since this is kinda off topic?

crawler#976 04-13-2005 02:37 PM

Lock the rear first, and, if you can swing the $$$, lock it w/ either a Toy E-Locker or an ARB.