YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   The Fab Shop (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/)
-   -   !!Attn! Jeep Owner Needs Your Help!! (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/attn-jeep-owner-needs-your-help-57920/)

stjjames 04-28-2005 08:58 AM

!!Attn! Jeep Owner Needs Your Help!!

Ok. I need a new axle to replace the weak Dana 35 in the rear. I'm going to 35's and perhaps a V8, and she dont play ball for that action. I could drop a grand and go a couple of routes, but then I though - what about the rear axle of my hydrolocked 87 4runner. Its sitting under a tarp in the back yard, the V8 swap never came to fruitation since the purchase of my jeep. How strong is it? My buddy is running 36's and a chevy 350, with no reported problems. You guys have the coolest smilies :saw: :rockon:
:lol:

91Toyota4x4 04-28-2005 09:01 AM

Go for it, a guy in the club I'm in has Toy axles in his Jeep.

4Crawler 04-28-2005 09:03 AM

The 8" Toyota axle is pretty strong, about the same as a Dana 44. You'll have to work out something to match the pinion flange to your driveshaft, and you may find only certain gear ratios match between a Toyota and your front axle (Dana I assume). Also, the axle is set up for spring over axle and you'll need to use 6 lug wheels in back.

JuttyShabango 04-28-2005 09:17 AM

Well, your on the right track at least. Keep replacin' parts and you'll eventually have a toyota :P

stjjames 04-28-2005 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 82trekker
Well, your on the right track at least. Keep replacin' parts and you'll eventually have a toyota :P

Ha!!! Obviously I had one! Strong as a dana 44 huh? I have a Dana 30 in the front, I have 4.11 gears, which I believe are the same in my yota. Driveshaft may present a challenge, and finding bolt pattern adapters - well that shouldnt be that hard. Hmmmmnnnnn. coil perches, Im not sure how those will fit - but as long as I'm welding, it shouldnt be a problem. Guess I should have said this from the get go - 98' TJ, which means no leaf springs - all coils. Hmmmnnnn. . . I'm gonna go untarp that beast and take a look - :think:

JuttyShabango 04-28-2005 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by stjjames
Ha!!! Obviously I had one! Strong as a dana 44 huh? I have a Dana 30 in the front, I have 4.11 gears, which I believe are the same in my yota. Driveshaft may present a challenge, and finding bolt pattern adapters - well that shouldnt be that hard. Hmmmmnnnnn. coil perches, Im not sure how those will fit - but as long as I'm welding, it shouldnt be a problem. Guess I should have said this from the get go - 98' TJ, which means no leaf springs - all coils. Hmmmnnnn. . . I'm gonna go untarp that beast and take a look - :think:

:laugh: :smokin: Welcome man. :rockon:

4Crawler 04-28-2005 09:39 AM

You could also look at a '90-95 4Runner rear axle, they are coil sprung, but in all likelyhood, you'll have to torch off everything and add your own coil perches, suspension link brackets, etc.

stjjames 04-28-2005 09:46 AM

Yeah my buddy could cut & gut a ford 8.8 for me as well, same bolt pattern and I get disk brakes + a lsd, or whatever locker I want, well can afford :laugh: . But since that 4runner isnt doing much. . .Man Toyotas rock, I hate the Dana 35, how strong are the front axles, on the solid axle toyotas? If I dont steal this axle I'll drag to my buddies house and drop in a 350, let my girlriend hit trees with it :laugh: :great:

stjjames 04-28-2005 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
You could also look at a '90-95 4Runner rear axle, they are coil sprung, but in all likelyhood, you'll have to torch off everything and add your own coil perches, suspension link brackets, etc.

Yeah they (they - I dont remember who) make a kit with all the mounts and perches, ready to weld in place :mrt:

FilthyRich 04-28-2005 10:10 AM

35's w/ a dana 30 :think: I would upgrade. Since you are already beefing up the rear, the front should match-strenght wise.
I had a dana 30 in my xj on 32's. it was fine for moderate wheelin', but that is why i sold it. too expensive to build the 30 right. get a 44