Arizona Arizona Chapter

Where to stay in Crown King on March 29-30, also where to meet

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvota

I start work Sunday, thus the time restriction. I am not really sure what to do about the run. I don't really just want to run CK and then go home an easy way.... and not sure about running DeSoto alone. I'll figure something out.

Anyone know the I-17 situation? Still going to be a lot of traffic? What about getting back into town on Saturday or Sunday?
x2 on I-17
Old 03-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Brian... makes me laugh as well.

I start work Sunday, thus the time restriction. I am not really sure what to do about the run. I don't really just want to run CK and then go home an easy way.... and not sure about running DeSoto alone. I'll figure something out.

Anyone know the I-17 situation? Still going to be a lot of traffic? What about getting back into town on Saturday or Sunday?
Well, we could run desoto or we could take dirt roads as far home as possible.
CK to minnehaha and then out towards Kirkland junction and down through Wickenburg so we avoid the 17??
Old 03-26-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
For those that haven't seen the friday night camping thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f66/...amping-141063/
Old 03-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SOAZtim
Well, we could run desoto or we could take dirt roads as far home as possible.
CK to minnehaha and then out towards Kirkland junction and down through Wickenburg so we avoid the 17??
If you had a choice, would you rather hit DeSoto or some of the milder options? I haven't been to Minnehaha but have seen your pics.

I know DeSoto... and really enjoy the drive. I think you said you did it on a motorcycle before so you know the tech section isn't to severe nor to long.

I guess we could get crazy and link in Table Mesa road going E and back out through 7 Springs if we did DeSoto and wanted to miss a lot of I-17 headaches. Or even hook into Bloody Basin road first. But that would be a ridiculously long day. Then again... I do really like epic 90% offroad journeys.

My vote would be for DeSoto just to get a bit more tech in there... but willing to look at all the options.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Cool, I'm up for desoto. Then we'll see what time it is and decide which way to head home. The minnehaha drive is not THAT much longer than heading out through cleator. Maybe an hour longer because of all the lolly gaggin etc.

If you had a choice, would you rather hit DeSoto or some of the milder options? I haven't been to Minnehaha but have seen your pics.

I know DeSoto... and really enjoy the drive. I think you said you did it on a motorcycle before so you know the tech section isn't to severe nor to long.

I guess we could get crazy and link in Table Mesa road going E and back out through 7 Springs if we did DeSoto and wanted to miss a lot of I-17 headaches. Or even hook into Bloody Basin road first. But that would be a ridiculously long day. Then again... I do really like epic 90% offroad journeys.

My vote would be for DeSoto just to get a bit more tech in there... but willing to look at all the options.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

All right then. Micki and I (and dog) will head up with all you guys Saturday... then we'll just continue on at CK in some direction.

Others are welcome to join if they want to add a little extra and then return to CK that evening... or if they are not able to stay Saturday night and would like to finish out the day behind the wheel instead of behind the bar. Although, I am not sure why anyone would want to do that.

So... what time is the group meeting again on Saturday morning? Oh... and exactly where are you all meeting?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

9:00am at the Carefree highway and the road you turn off on. Go to the very first post in this thread, it has the best description.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:04 AM

Actually according to the first post, meeting time is 8:30 with a 9am sharp pull out time.

Those of us camping friday night will meet the rest of you at the "crown king road turnoff" parking area, my estimate is that point is about 20 minutes from Carefree hwy. So we'll see you guys around 9:20ish. We'll be on CB 4.

{edit] I just realized my description in the first post of the "airstrip" parking area is inaccurate. The airstrip is further up CK road. But the meeting place is the same, at the intersection of Castle Hot Springs rd and Crown King road. The linked map is correct, I just had the name wrong. We'll see you guys there. Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited by toy_tek; 03-27-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

We really should have a meeting to discuss possible routes/logistics beforehand. Band-Aids would be a good venue.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:10 AM

I thought there only was one "back way" to CK?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 111db
I thought there only was one "back way" to CK?
Elvota is an expert at back doors. hah, okay I'm back from my 5th grade humor now.

There are a ton of ways to work it.
The back way is the one we are taking up.
Then there is a way in from Kirkland Junction on dirt, but the drive from PHX to Wickenburg is on pavement for that one.
Then you could start in Cave creek and go up through 7 springs, to bloody basin and over through cleator and then to CK.
Then you could come down the senator highway from Prescott on dirt.
Then there is another back way from table mesa up.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:33 AM

Ok, but only one way from Lake Pleasant, right?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 111db
Ok, but only one way from Lake Pleasant, right?
For the purpose of this run... yes.

The "options" just involve the way home.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

I just checked the ADOT website and the carefree highway/I-17 does not appear to have closures this weekend.

However it might be jammed, so the alternative might be take the 101, get to lake pleasant RD approx 79th AVE to Carefree Highway
Old 03-27-2008, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dlbrunner
However it might be jammed, so the alternative might be take the 101, get to lake pleasant RD approx 79th AVE to Carefree Highway
Yeah that's my plan. Also a buddy at work mentioned an outdoor expo at Ben Avery that I just googled here http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/showcase.shtml and that could mean additional traffic.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Just wanted to post up and let you guys know I wasn't able to get as much done this week as I thought I would be... still getting used to my new work schedule.

I'll have to skip this run and play catchup in town this weekend.

Have a good day and here's to hoping for not to much traffic slowing the group down on the CK back road.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:31 AM

Just wanted to post up and let you guys know I wasn't able to get as much done this week as I thought I would be... still getting used to my new work schedule.

Have a good day and here's to hoping for not to much traffic slowing the group down on the CK back road.
So does this mean you're out for any weekend runs from now on then?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

DUDE, sorry to hear it. Once you get settle into this new schedule and get the itch let us know. We'll tag along on a night run somewhere mid week.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SOAZtim
DUDE, sorry to hear it. Once you get settle into this new schedule and get the itch let us know. We'll tag along on a night run somewhere mid week.
...X2
Old 03-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

I'm just so loyal to elvota that I won't do this run without him.

I'M OUT
The front diff needs the slinger... None in stock in az. Closest one is in washington. I'll be lucky if the part is here by monday...

Quick Reply: Where to stay in Crown King on March 29-30, also where to meet