British Columbia British Columbia Chapter

vehicle inspection in bc what to look out for

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vehicle inspection in bc what to look out for

hey there. last week i got pulled over and got my truck towed and got a vi because i had smashed windows and no front bumper. so now im trying to make my truck road worthy for the inspection. what kind of stuff should i look out for so the truck will pass. im going to put mudflaps on and tighten up my body lift bolts, fix the cv boot. another thing is that i have no sway bar in the front. also will the mechanics look out for stuff like if the cruise control works and the 4x4 light goes on. any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 09-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Heres a guide:

page 1
http://chrisb.users.superford.org/Mi...ecklist_01.jpg

page 2
http://chrisb.users.superford.org/Mi...ecklist_02.jpg

page 3

http://chrisb.users.superford.org/Mi...ecklist_03.jpg

page 4

http://chrisb.users.superford.org/Mi...ecklist_04.jpg
Old 10-01-2009, 12:47 PM

windshield crack may be no more then 18" and not in the drivers line of site. (I had to fight this one on my corolla.)

if the vehicle had it stock it has to have it for VI. this means you need that front sway bar.

the 4WD light does need to work... they probably wont; check it though but it would suck to fail on that. (all dash lights and warnings are required to work)

to put it simply EVERYTHING must work.
If you think something may be iffy.. then fix it.

things used to slide.. not anymore. ICBC does random checks. When the inspector click ok to send in his report a screen MAY pop up requiring he takes photos of specific things. So most places are very strict now so as they don;t want to lose their license.

I've had to take 3 different cars through VI. it sucks.. waste of money.

Last edited by FiveOneOh; 10-01-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:38 PM

my windshield needs to be replaced. the rear antilock brake light has been taken out. my dad has taken a lot of vehicles thru a vi cuz he buys them from alberta like 2 2001f45os, one 2003 f550 and a 2002 dodge ram3500 and they have some problems and they all passed
Old 10-01-2009, 02:44 PM

theres a difference between a 2000+ VS an early 90s truck

either way good luck on your VI.

Last edited by FiveOneOh; 10-01-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i see a front bumper on ur truck.... wtf are they talking about? ur floppy plastic valance thats missing? that would server no purpose as a bumper.... it kinda depends on where u get a truck inspected i guess...... if you went 100% by the book you would never get it inspected..... my truck is missing the valance.... windshield is cracked all over the place all arcoss the whole thing.... horn does not work... one reverse light does not work... one tire has diff tread than others.... gutted cat...headers.... and it still passed lol i mean i guess it might be a canada thing.... just get it all fixed i guess i know canada does stress the mudflap law alot. if a cop pulled you over for ur bumper and windows that cop must have not busted no one in a while....
Old 10-02-2009, 01:58 PM

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

Last edited by gary96360; 10-02-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:03 PM

a kid smashed up my truck a month ago. i has no front bumper, side rearwindows smahsed, door tied up,no signals-corner lights, dented in fenders with sharp edges. this is the truck after i changed the front parts. i think the older style bumper and valance looks pretty good

Old 10-02-2009, 07:41 PM

1. check your brakes. I think Pads or shoes under 3mm fail (not 100% sure though), check for any leaks and make sure your parking brake works.

2. p/s and brake fluid are the only fluids they check, check your belts for cracks, check all your lights any brunt out bulbs are a fail, make sure all the seat belts work and are in good condition.

3. check your front end. you can have some play in the ball joints but I think tie rods and wheel bearing need to be tight.

4. make sure your tires are wearing evenly and have good tread. 30% and under fails.

5. a big one that alot of people dont know about is door seals. all the seals have to be there and they can't have any rips or holes. and rust.. your truck can have rust but if you can put you finger though it FAIL.

The main thing with inspections is its all about safety. Like if you have an oil leak it wont fail, but if the oil comes in contact with brake pads, shoe or the exhaust it will fail.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:50 PM

i also have no rad shroud. will they check that too? my front brake pads are like brand new. the front right tire is a bit iffy. wearing not evenly. thinking of putting that tire in the rear. the last owner spent 5 grand in the front end 2 years ago and the ball joints look brand new, still have to test it. kind of dont feel like putting a sway bar in, theres like 6 broken bolts in the frame.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
A good shop will fail you for not having a swaybar..

You can usually find shops that will overlook some things and just pass it... not that im advicating that...

The guide I posted was for north shore off road. one of the stricktest VI facilities around here...
Old 10-23-2009, 04:44 PM

ok i have added a sawy bar. took the truck to inspection today and it failed. they called me up and was like its going to cost 3 grand to fix the truck. i freaked out and went over there. my truck failed because of worn body mount bushings, all balljoints need to be replaced, exhaust leak, new shoes and cylinders, parking brake stuck on the passenger side so the shoes glazed, the filler neck needs to be extended. soo its not too bad. probbaly put in cheapo ball joints for the inspection.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:06 AM

Hi u said in ur post u got a vi for bumper and windshield that's only 2 things by law a cop needs 3 things things for a vi so u have only 2 so the vi is bogous
Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 PM

VI's everywhere

Seems like I see more VI's handed out lately than I have ever seen, I think the boys have an agenda.
It is easier to avoid a VI than it is to pass one, I tell my kids to keep your rig looking respectable, no hanging wires, exaust leaks,emerancy brake cable is the most important thing and a windshield can be replaced for $200 a lot cheaper than the 3 grand worth of ˟˟˟˟ they will find wrong.
Don't give them a reason to look to close.
Good luck
Old 10-28-2013, 07:38 PM

Ya, they stopped at three, Cus that's all they needed. it would have been a lot worse if they actually picked out everything. But they leave that up to the inspection facilities. The list can get so big that I'm just going to strip it and scrap it. I can use the best parts on my new project.
I'd be more worried about passing a new driver with a cell phone and a cheese burger in their hand than a rough looking rig.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steve89
1. check your brakes. I think Pads or shoes under 3mm fail (not 100% sure though), check for any leaks and make sure your parking brake works.

2. p/s and brake fluid are the only fluids they check, check your belts for cracks, check all your lights any brunt out bulbs are a fail, make sure all the seat belts work and are in good condition.

3. check your front end. you can have some play in the ball joints but I think tie rods and wheel bearing need to be tight.

4. make sure your tires are wearing evenly and have good tread. 30% and under fails.

5. a big one that alot of people dont know about is door seals. all the seals have to be there and they can't have any rips or holes. and rust.. your truck can have rust but if you can put you finger though it FAIL.

The main thing with inspections is its all about safety. Like if you have an oil leak it wont fail, but if the oil comes in contact with brake pads, shoe or the exhaust it will fail.
Oil leaks will fail, I've brought a vehicle into b.c. from sask. and it failed due to oil leak (fire hazard) and I just moved to Alberta and my truck failed for the same reason. You can print off the criteria for the b.c. out of province inspections so you know what they're looking for before hand.