Notices
Off Topic Talk If it's non Toyota & tech related, put it here

White tire letters in, or white letters out?

Old 07-03-2015, 09:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
White tire letters in, or white letters out?

A couple of years ago I bought a brand new set of BFG 31" All Terrains. I had them installed on my 1988 4Runner with the white letters in. Because some folks told me that when you hit the rocks bad, they will ruin your white letters and your tires will look horrible. I have even heard some say that white letters out makes it look like you have whitewalls while your truck is rolling.

I now have one alloy that is a bit hard to balance (I need four weights on it now). So I found a really clean new set of 1988 Toyota alloys. Only $16 bucks each at Discount Tire to have them swapped and balanced. So I thought this would be the perfect time to put the white letters out if that change is a good thing.

These new to me Toyota alloys have the gray painted look which would actually match my silver truck better. They are just like the ones I have except for the gray look. And they are cleaner than mine currently are.

So the question is....

Do you prefer to have your white letters on the inside or on the outside? And does this rock damage rule really apply? And will I look like I'm rolling down the road with white wall tires with the white letters out?

I'm just wondering about others ideas on this subject. And what you prefer.

Here I am with black side out high above Lone Pine, CA. looking at Mount Whitney. Of course my black sidewalls are much cleaner once I get home and clean them and spray on a shiny tire dressing.

Name:  DSCF0430.jpg
Views: 240595
Size:  84.6 KB

My possible new Toyota Alloy set. With a hint of grey. Just $100 for all four. The shadows in the pic are from the angle of the sun. I believe that in 1988 these Toyota alloys were a $1,200 upgrade. Anyone remember?

Name:  unnamed%205_zpsma1nfhhn.jpg
Views: 241041
Size:  123.6 KB

Last edited by Scenic WonderRunner; 07-04-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go letters OUT. BE BOLD! Part of owning these rigs is being proud of your 25 year old piece of metal and why not show your goods.

In all honesty, most of my good ideas for my own 1993 dlx pickup have come from seeing what others have. My wife even rolls her eyes every time I spit some old Toyota and ogle over some stupid bolt-on or tire :-)

Old 07-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Raised white letters should be in or get white walls...

The wheels pictured came stock on my 86 SR5 4Runner I bought new in 86..they were used for a few years

Last edited by dropzone; 07-04-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Those rims are gorgeous. They were part of the SR5 upgrade. I'm not sure what they cost alone and I did buy an '88 new. I bought a DLX and had Outlaw II's put on them for $500 or so. I paid $12500 for the truck near the end of the '88 year and had to blackmail the dealer for the last $1000 to come off.

My '89 is rocking tires with the letters out because I forgot to tell the tire place not to replicate the old ones. Letters out are very 1970's-80's so it's a matter of personal preference.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the input and pics so far guys.

I picked up this Toyota alloy wheel set of four yesterday on my way to Pacific Beach for my annual PB Boardwalk bike ride and fireworks shows. God Bless OUR America!

The guy I bought these alloy wheels from actually bought my old original chrome 15x6" wheels and tires last week, that came with my 4runner when I first bought the truck in 2003 with 52K original miles. They have been sitting in my garage dry and clean since 2003.

When he bought my chrome wheels last Sat. , he said he had this mint alloy set for sale. He bought my original chrome wheels and tires for $125. So with buying his restored alloys at just $100, I am still $25 bucks ahead! ; ) .....Sweet!

These Toyota alloy wheels are like brand new. They appear to have been professionally refurbished. And an expert paint shop metallic gun metal gray paint has been applied. This is not a rattle spray can job. This is also matching the factory gray stripes on my 4Runner perfect!

This will be a sweet addition to my 4Runner. Now still deciding on which way for the white letters. Will add more pics later.

I will sell my current Toyota alloys that I am replacing on C~list. For a break even.

Feel free to add pics of your own wheels and tires. And your idea's.

We can make this a fun Wheel/Tire thread. This does not only have to be about the "Scenic WonderRunner" ......GO!

Last edited by Scenic WonderRunner; 07-05-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:14 PM

Thanks DZ and N.....

And Brian....

Hi Brian!

I know we have chatted on a few other websites long ago! Thanks for your input brother! Glad to see you are still around!

Here is a shout out to Brian!

http://brian894x4.com/INSEARCHOFHISTORY.html

Aloha!

~Mark

"Scenic WonderRunner"
Old 07-06-2015, 09:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
nice wheels, they look super clean! one of my favorite toyota alloys. kinda sad i sold mine to get wider wheels to fit my new tires.
if I were you, I would consider painting the shadowed recesses of the wheels black. i found a pic of this mod here on YT, but can't find it anymore for some reason. it really made these wheels pop visually and was a very subtle addition that many people won't notice.
oh yeah, black walls out. white walls are for cars IMO, not trucks.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:49 PM

Looking for more opinions....

I am cleaning up my lug nuts before I have my new to me wheels installed. They used to be black I guess, but now they look worn. So I am thinking about painting them to help make the install look very clean.

So what color would you paint the lug nuts?

1. matching gun metal gray like the wheels. (just blends in)

2. gloss black for a background pop.

3. silver to match the body of my truck. the gun metal wheels match my stripes.

4. chrome

5. other?

Old 07-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Fossilized
Staff

If you pull wheels as often as I do, painted lug nuts won't last.
when I had those wheels on my 86, they actually came with matching black lugs from the factory.
30 years later probably hard to find
Old 07-08-2015, 06:40 PM

Thanks.....DZ

I painted the lug nuts gloss black today.

I think I might save my old wheels. And polish them up, and keep them as a spare set.

Here are my new and old wheels........

Name:  DSCF2094_zpsrztm3hh1.jpg
Views: 241893
Size:  145.0 KB

Name:  DSCF2095_zpscokogpu7.jpg
Views: 241953
Size:  141.6 KB

Name:  DSCF2096_zpsjb6qclwz.jpg
Views: 241608
Size:  137.7 KB

Name:  DSCF2097_zpszh6wpoju.jpg
Views: 242025
Size:  175.8 KB

Name:  DSCF2098_zpshfkutpii.jpg
Views: 241854
Size:  166.4 KB

Name:  DSCF2099_zpsk7kp2nuz.jpg
Views: 241857
Size:  165.9 KB
Old 07-08-2015, 06:54 PM

Looks great. I miss that look big time.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Colington View Post
Looks great. I miss that look big time.

Thanks Brian. I am actually trying to keep my mint '88 looking as stock as possible.

Most of my mods can't been seen. And there are many.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:51 PM

I got the wheels installed today at Discount Tire. They are really great guys, and really try to take care of your vehicle and wheels.

Unfortunately, on the way home tonight my front tires and steering wheel started wobbling at 40 MPH+. It would be horrible at 70MPH for sure!

This is what I was afraid of. A problem. It's always something for God's sake! That's kind of why I even delayed doing this!

I emailed their corporate and I asked to take it back in when their most experienced tire installer and balancer is in.

So there goes another hour of my life.....

Too dark tonight for pics......installed pics later in the sunshine.

Thanks for listening!
Old 07-16-2015, 07:21 AM

The OEM SR5 wheels are classics, they always look great. Their only drawback is the narrow 7" width.

You indicated wanting to keep that showroom new look, so black walls IN its the way to go.

Otherwise, I'm a diehard RWL OUT advocate, like this:

Take a look at this rugged trail pack leader for example, clearly letters OUT is baddassss!

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 07-16-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:48 AM

I'm old school, I prefer the white letters out. Check out my avatar. White letters out.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^on your truck, doesn't white letters out defeat the whole purpose of the camo paint??? lol
Old 07-16-2015, 11:55 AM

No, there are white weeds and plants in the woods. Of course , the diamond plate aluminum toolbox is kind of hard to hide.LOL
Old 07-16-2015, 08:00 PM

Well.....what a long afternoon! I got the tire wobble fixed, thank goodness! This is how my day went in my email to a friend. And this is exactly why I don't want Anybody to even touch my 4Runner!

Too late again for pics tonight. No sun. Maybe pics tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~

Not that this is interesting in the least...of course!.....LOL

I got the tire wobble fixed today!

It turns out it was a bad BFG All Terrain Tire, that was bad and wobbling from the factory new all along!

These tires only have 8,000 miles on them!

Remember before I changed the rims, I showed you my drivers side rear rim that had four weights on it? And when they originally put my new tires on they showed me that this wheel and tire was wobbling.

At that original new tire installation they blamed my rim. That's one Of the reasons why I got these new to me rims.

Well it turns out that the wobble today on my new rim, was being caused by this exact same tire that had the wobble upon original installation on my old rim 8,000 miles ago when new.

They said they would put a new tire on and prorate.

They said 16/16ths is full tread, and my tire had 12/16th. I'm surprised at that because the tires only have 8,000 miles on them.

At first they said they could put a new tire on for $66 bucks. I explained my story to them and I said that the tire must have been bad from the beginning.

They took off the $16 installation and said I can have a new tire for $50. I said OK.....but I don't really think that's right, when I was given a bad wobbly tire in the first place.

Then I come back from Lupe's Mexican food, awesome carne asada tostada by the way!

And I find multiple paint scratches on my newly painted rims! I think the guy got lazy at the end and used his air gun, because I was not around watching! I had asked them to use hand tools and they knew it!

So to make it right a little....they brought my price for the new tire down to $30 bucks.

Kudos to Discount Tire for always trying to help me out and make things right. I know accidents happen.

I found metallic gun metal gray acrylic paint at Walmart for $1.77. Liquid craft paint in a 2 oz. bottle.

It's not a perfect match. But no body looks or cares anyway! And why am I even talking about it? ....LOL! ....

By the way, all weights are now on the inside. So no weights are seen like in my pics above of original more silver alloys.

All of this is the very reason why I delayed so long to put the new wheels on, because I know these kind of problems, delays and multiple trips to the tire shop always happen!

But at least they figured it all out and I got rid of a bad wobbly tire for only $30 bucks! <~ and to me this is the best part!

I'm glad that's done!

......Whew!

Last edited by Scenic WonderRunner; 07-16-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:41 PM

Finally pics of the results, of the two day ordeal.....

These new to me Toyota alloys are metallic gun metal gray. My originals were natural alloy silver. That drivers rear tire is my brand new tire that I got yesterday for a $30 buck prorate.

Name:  DSCF2100_zpsbxqkuyo3.jpg
Views: 242131
Size:  195.6 KB

Name:  DSCF2101_zpstchmfvnt.jpg
Views: 242790
Size:  427.8 KB

Name:  DSCF2102_zpslglfb3dl.jpg
Views: 241501
Size:  158.7 KB

Name:  DSCF2103_zpsexqxr7oc.jpg
Views: 242566
Size:  159.3 KB
Old 07-18-2015, 05:59 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Looks good

Originally Posted by Scenic WonderRunner View Post

Unfortunately, on the way home tonight my front tires and steering wheel started wobbling at 40 MPH+. It would be horrible at 70MPH !
Discount tire forgot to torque my lugs once...5 miles away I thought I was going to die

Glad you and The tire gurus got it squared away

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: White tire letters in, or white letters out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: