Using Trex decking instead of pressure treated? - YotaTech Forums

Off Topic Talk If it's non Toyota & tech related, put it here

Using Trex decking instead of pressure treated?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2005, 06:44 PM   #1
Contributing Member

Using Trex decking instead of pressure treated?

Not a deck Q, but using this in my Ford flatbed . It now has tongue and groove that needs replaced.

Am I better off with the 5/4x6x8 p.t. decking or trex? I haul grass clippings(sometimes they sit in the truck a week soaking wet), 2B limestone, river rock, mulch, etc.

I never used trex before, so I don't know anything about it.
86toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:11 PM   #2

Trex doesn't rot, I'd say try it.
Cebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:46 PM   #3

i thought of using that when i was considering building a wood flatbed for my truck. i think it'd work great
kyle_22r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:39 AM   #4
Contributing Member

Maybe look into IPE a.k.a Brazillian Walnut.

Super freaking dense, but you have to pre drill a pilot hole to drive a nail in it so they don't bend.

http://www.trimscrew.com/PhotoGallery.htm

http://www.trimscrew.com/IpeSpecData.htm
4-RUNNIN' FREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:53 AM   #5
Contributing Member

trex is a bit pricey, but no rot. GO for it. It would probably be a first. It has to hold up better than wood, right
FilthyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:54 AM   #6
Contributing Member

Has anyone used trex at there house?
86toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 08:16 AM   #7
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86toyota
Has anyone used trex at there house?
my dad replaced his stairs to his deck w. the stuff. It has a different texture and finish. Not sure if it can be paiinted or stained. I like it though. It seems more forgiving and it seems strong and durable.
FilthyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:38 AM   #8

You can't paint it and it comes in 2 colors, you might be able to order it in more colors but most places like HomeDepot carry it in the color closest to like a stained wood.

Is it wood no, it's made of several materials 1 of them being plastic, the stuff is expensive compared to the cost of the same amount of wood but it will outlast most of us here gotta drill it to get nails/screws in.

Keep in mind is is heavier and when building a deck yoursuppost to use twice as many supports, forget what their called but the wood you lay it on the 2x6 that you would lay every 12-15inches you need to lay them every 6x8inches cause of the flex, plus I don't know if you need more supports for the deck to sit on

Using it in a Truck Bed, just make sure the moisture does not leak through it and rot the bed.

Are you just laying the trex in the back, since trex is machine made and every peace is perfectly straight, figure out the size of the bed perfectly and lay it in and use some kind of bed spray to water proof it, are you doing the sides to
EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE
You can't paint it and it comes in 2 colors, you might be able to order it in more colors but most places like HomeDepot carry it in the color closest to like a stained wood.

Is it wood no, it's made of several materials 1 of them being plastic, the stuff is expensive compared to the cost of the same amount of wood but it will outlast most of us here gotta drill it to get nails/screws in.

Keep in mind is is heavier and when building a deck yoursuppost to use twice as many supports, forget what their called but the wood you lay it on the 2x6 that you would lay every 12-15inches you need to lay them every 6x8inches cause of the flex, plus I don't know if you need more supports for the deck to sit on

Using it in a Truck Bed, just make sure the moisture does not leak through it and rot the bed.

Are you just laying the trex in the back, since trex is machine made and every peace is perfectly straight, figure out the size of the bed perfectly and lay it in and use some kind of bed spray to water proof it, are you doing the sides to
Also gotta add they sell Trex cutting blades so the ends are clean cut, stuff is hard
EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote