Off topic, wifi access controls for a cellular based ISP with data limit - YotaTech Forums

Off Topic Talk If it's non Toyota & tech related, put it here

Off topic, wifi access controls for a cellular based ISP with data limit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #1  

Off topic, wifi access controls for a cellular based ISP with data limit

Hoping someone can save me a ton of research, maybe some money, and headaches..

I need a reasonable priced wifi router with very detailed access controls, and hopefully bandwidth throttling. Preferably something I can pickup from Walmart to use tomorrow or today. I'd rather not have to source an expensive Cisco unit, which I would have to manage for two reasons, since it's been a really long time since I've worked with one and they weren't a point and click interface I could walk a non technical person thru over the phone.

We are looking to switch from an unlimited DSL to a 4G Cellular ISP. The new ISP has data limits and sells "blocks of data" which charges per gigabyte for overages above your block size.

At this point it's not looking very practical to switch and run uncontrolled. We currently have a demo unit running and I told them "to go crazy and use as much as you can " which resulted in over 11gig of traffic from game updates and another 4gig of video streams, in just a five hour timeframe. Once you hit a daily count of 15gig the ISP kicks the modem down to 3g and lowers the priority. The demo unit is currently running without a bandwidth limit and sustains 20mbs, it would be closer to 5-10mbs on the paid account.

Everyone has different work schedules and days off with a little bit of overlapping, I'm looking at heavy usage between 5-12 on work days and 4 days of free time. The last billing cycle on DSL used about 50gigs at 512kbs.

My plan is to limit access based on time of day(free time between 12-7am), and throttling excessive usage outside those hours for most devices based on the MAC. There are game consoles, dishTV, and smart TVs, aswell as the assorted other tablets, phones and computers.

I need to complete testing the demo by friday or saturday morning.

Co_94_PU is offline   Reply With Quote