Washington Washington Chapter

Need a mentor - can offer $ - Ballard neighborhood

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a mentor - can offer $ - Ballard neighborhood

Here's my deal:

I own a '93 4runner - 22re/5sp. I have previously owned an '88 4runner 22re/5sp and an '85 22re/5sp. I "understand" alot about these engines/trucks, but have been limited in the amount of work I've been able to do on them. Brakes, clutch MC/slave replacement, exhaust, quick'n'dirty valve adjustment, shocks, waterpump, hoses, fluid changes, etc... pretty light stuff. I'm without a garage/covered parking and while I've got a good assortment of tools necessary for working on my truck, I'm not rich and am in the process of replacing alot of the tools that were stolen out of my last truck (4runner was recovered, all contents were taken - even the PS gearbox I just resealed!)

What I am looking for:

Someone around the Seattle area who would be wiling to mentor/assist me on some of the more involved tasks. Two hands are sometimes not enough when one is learning, ESPECIALLY when I typically only have a few hours of daylight after work and am constantly referring back to my FSM. Like I said, no garage, so tasks would be manageable in terms a few minutes to a few hours worth of worth. My dad is an amazing machinist and mechanical junkie, but lives in Wisconsin. The few things I know, I guess I learned from him, but he can't fly out every other week to help me pursue little project I might have.

Who you are:

Someone around the Seattle area who wants to make a little money and teach someone some things. I know your time isn't free, so I'll offer what I can. I buy parts and get tools (as needed or upon recommendation) and you provide help/insight/guidance/expertise as you are able. My gal and I live in Ballard, so the closer the better (for everyones' sake.) I'll even buy you a beer and have a sit-down, lay-it-all-out session to you have a better idea of where we could start.

So:

Weekday evenings and weekends are best for me. The gal and I are riding STP in the middle of July, so after the 15th would be good to start.

Thanks in advance (I hope this was the best place to post this),

Chris "babyfood1217" Gerber
Old 07-05-2013, 01:12 PM

I live in west Seattle and would be willing to help. I am currently camping but will be back in town after the weekend.
About me: I have been working on my own vehicles for 20 years and have tore into and repaired every engine I have owned. I have completed mutiple engine swaps including my current daily driver which now has a gray market toyota turbo deisel in it. I have most every tool that would be neede to do work on a toyota: engine hoist, tranny jack, welder, full complement of hand tools. I am always looking for another toyota fan that is close to me.

Last edited by helipilot77; 07-05-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:15 PM

Wish I lived in the seattle area still. I would love to turn some wrenches with you. Unfortunately, Im in portland... this post contributes nothing to the thread.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:24 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding to both of you, helipilot77 and slo6i. My girl and I finally wrapped up training for and riding the 2013 STP ride, so I've got a little free time again. I'll be in touch with both of you, and slo61, I've got a friend in Portland, so I don't rule your offer out