California NorCal California NorCal Chapter

82 SR5 4x4 22R longbed - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
82 SR5 4x4 22R longbed - Need advice

I bought this truck used around 1984 time frame. It was roughly a year old when I bought it from a Toyota dealership in Concord. It was the second vehicle I bought but the first that I bought from someone other than family. My first was a 1965 Mustang I bought from my brother. Traded the Mustang in for this truck. I put ~325K miles on the truck over the years and it now has 352K miles on it. Other than the transmission bearing problems 82's had it's been an extremely reliable truck and it should still run as I last ran it to back it into my driveway. It's been sitting un-driven in my driveway for at least 10 years now. I've always thought I'd restore it some day, It's in terrible shape now sad to say. Paint job is thrashed from years sitting in the NorCal sun. The body has some dents. The truck runs fine except for the whining tranny bearings (in 1st, 3rd, and 5th). Also needs a new rear main seal as it leaked oil badly last it was running. Anyway, I've never wanted to sell it (I've had plenty of offers from strangers who drove by my house and asked) since it has sentimental value to me but I now have overcome that to realize I'll most likely never restore my 4x4 and have decided to start moving in the direction to release it to someone who will restore it or use it for parts to keep their own 82 on the road. If memory serves, except for the rear bumper, rear mud flaps, transmission (Marlin replacement), and tires/wheels it's stock.
This has been my first step to letting go. It's not been easy.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:11 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
If it's not too rusty, someone will very likely be thrilled to get it for restoration. I'd resist the urge to part it.

If it's laid around 10 years, you can hold it a little longer. Don't take the first lo-ball offer.

Sure you don't want to give it new life yourself??

Machines that are merely tired, with honest wear and use, are a pleasure to repair.

It is those trucks that exhibit the pecker tracks of half a dozen bunglers that exasperate me.

I know the pain of letting go. I recently sold my 1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado police motorcycle that I owned and rode since 1980.

It brought a good price though, and now I have a good used Polaris Ranger and trailer to buck around with.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I survived a stroke last year which has mostly taken me out of the picture of restoring it myself. Believe me, I'm very much resisting the urge to part with it but the reality of my situation is setting in.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:44 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Sorry to hear of your health issues. Best wishes for your continued recovery and improvement.