YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Post Your Tests Here (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f4/)
-   -   22RE ran without oil! 😕 (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f4/22re-ran-without-oil-307241/)

Johan2712 03-14-2019 03:22 PM

22RE ran without oil! 😕

Hi everybody,
So, remember I said I was going to replace the connecting rod bearings? So I did it and the knocking is gone, the engine start right up, and run smooth but after a minute die, it is running and all the sudden just stops.
I'm glad I didn't f...ed it up by run it low in oil but now I have to deal with something different, any idea?
I jumped to check for codes and the check engine light blinks continuesly, so no codes? 🤔

akwheeler 03-14-2019 04:58 PM

It's done, time for another rebuild. Oil changes and checking the dipstick are cheap insurance.
A new engine will burn oil until it seats the rings and you should always change the oil at 500 to 1000 miles after a rebuild anyway.

old87yota 03-14-2019 05:13 PM

Akwheeler is right.

Unfortunately, you have no way of knowing the damage caused by running low on oil unless you take the engine completely apart and inspect all parts.

I wish we had better news.....

Discombobulated 03-14-2019 05:37 PM

So did you have oil in it and it leaked out? Or?????

Johan2712 03-14-2019 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated (Post 52420397)
So did you have oil in it and it leaked out? Or?????

I completed the rebuilt 3 weeks ago, and then put super tech 5w 30 from Walmart and lucas stabilizer, I really don't know how good or bad that oil is, but today I found out the dipstick showed nothing, it looks like the oil just evaporated, I have no one drop leeks, all gaskets new, pistons, rings, valves, new timing kit, even new front cover.

Johan2712 03-14-2019 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota (Post 52420390)
Akwheeler is right.

Unfortunately, you have no way of knowing the damage caused by running low on oil unless you take the engine completely apart and inspect all parts.

I wish we had better news.....

today I drained the oil I put today, tomorrow I will remove the oil pan and inspect it from underneath, hopefully I just have to change the connecting rod bearing, wish me 🤞

akwheeler 03-14-2019 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Johan2712 (Post 52420406)
today I drained the oil I put today, tomorrow I will remove the oil pan and inspect it from underneath, hopefully I just have to change the connecting rod bearing, wish me 🤞

I would wish you luck, but I don't believe in wasting time or mincing words, your cylinder walls are very likely scored, your cam has now eaten it's way into the head, the rockers have scored the cam.
Once there is no oil pressure the damage starts, once you hear the first knocking sound you are in for bad news, once it gets to the point that something very angry wants out there is no turning back. Once you continue driving with angry innards until the engine quits...
you are lucky it didn't just blow a hole in the side of the block.