Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The truth about Spools/Welded thirds vs. the myths/urban legends...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sebastianholmes
you might try reading the original post
yea someone posted the miles they got with it locked up, however it wasnt shown how many miles they would have lasted without it locked.

im looking for a comparison with numbers, not some1 saying it wears faster
Old 11-05-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So do you guys think it would be easier to just put a lockright in the rear? I was gonna,save up for an ARB, just cuz it is my DD. 50/50 on/offroad.
Any opinions? Anyone have the lockright in the rear? Any problems?
Old 10-12-2012, 06:25 PM

I wouldn't recommend a spool. a lock right is not that much more than a spool!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by jeremys87yota
So do you guys think it would be easier to just put a lockright in the rear? I was gonna,save up for an ARB, just cuz it is my DD. 50/50 on/offroad.
Any opinions? Anyone have the lockright in the rear? Any problems?
Id get the lock right...
Old 10-12-2012, 07:43 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
I love my Durasolid spool. Ben running it with my 35s for 3 years now with no problems.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...6-rear-204892/

But its not a DD

Nothing says cool like a spool.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM

Spoons rock for the cheap man!

I haven't installed a spoon in my yota yet, plan to do that when i get some 5.29 gears. But, I have had a welded rear end in a chevy. It made a world of difference, very predictable and fun when you add a few extra degrees of caster in the rain and snow. On the trail, much better! I wouldn't spool the front though, way to hard to turn.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Extremesolo
Anyone have any writeups or pictures of how you welded your diff? I see people mentioning it is okay as long as you do it "right" can someone please show me what the correct way is so I will not have any problems.
use none bleach brake clean
Old 09-22-2013, 01:37 PM

I lincoln locked my rear and i will agree you deffinatly have to get used to it so do it in the summer on road and off road. but once your used to it I'd take a locked rear over an open any day.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:24 AM

Mark, the only thing I would add to your explanation is that you are EXPERIENCED at driving a locked up rig. If you were to drop in a driver who had only driven rigs with open diffs before, they would put it in the ditch.

i disagree with this statement you have to be an idiot to put it in the ditch i had never driven a locked vehicle in my life and a buddy traded a lincoln locked third for an open and drove down the road no issues and all through the winter no issues just added traction.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:48 PM

Agreed
Old 05-04-2014, 01:50 PM

I run a detroit in the back and a spartan in the front of my IFS. The front locker certainly gives it hard to the front end components, but it's nice to be able to unlock my hubs and have no problem on the streets. I almost don't recommend running a locker in the front of an IFS unless you're going to be nice to it and upgrade some shafts/cv's/addhubstuds/etc.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:47 PM

Why weld it?

A spool from speedway is $150! A lot less hassle and you can return it to stock if you so wish. And no chance of debris in the rear end!

Last edited by 87-SR5; 05-11-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:51 PM

Nevermind!

Just found that Durasolid for $99 shipped. WOW! Know what I am doing.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by crawler#976
It seems to me that there is a huge misconception about how a spooled or welded third member acts on a daily driver/trail rig driven on pavement.

I feel I'm qualified to give an opinion on the topic- my rig now has over 40,000 miles of use as a daily driver and hard core trail rig with a full spool. I had a Detroit Locker prior to switching to a spool, so I'm familiar with the characteristics of an auto-locker too.

First and foremost, if you don't plan on wheelin' your rig HARD, there are much better choices for a locker. If money is no object, the Toy E-locker or ARB is always a better choice. For the casual wheeler, a drop in lunchbox locker will be a huge improvement over an open diff.

---------------------
REALITY:

You WILL wear out tires quickly. I got 14,000 miles on a set of BFG M/T's, and 19,000 on a set of MT/R's before they were shot...

MYTH:

Wet roads and a fully locked rear can be scary, I'd hate to try snow/ice.

REALITY:

Wet roads are a total non-factor.

A spool is much better in snow and ice than a Detroit Locker. A spool is 100% predictable since it never unlocks. You have to understand how it will perform on slick surfaces, and that takes a short while to learn. It tends to push the vehicle straight when turning on slick surfaces. This shows up the most on transitions between dry/wet surfaces to icy/snowy surfaces. I'll take a rear spooled vehicle over an open diff'd vehicle in snow every time.

MYTH:

At 45 mph trying to go around a curve with a spool is downright dangerous.

REALITY:

I've driven up and down curvy mountain roads for years with no problems- be it on pavement or dirt. In fact, if I didn't have 10 to 15 degrees of body roll because I don't have a sway bar, I'd bet it sticks better than an open diff does. There is a reason circle track racers use spools..

MYTH:

A welded diff on pavement will probably break axles, even full time lockers unlock some when turning.

REALITY:

Not saying it can't happen, but it's rare. I've twisted up the splines on rear axle shaft- it took one hell of a bind at the Hammers to do it.

MYTH:

Tight maneuvering on pavement sucks in a parking lot.

REALITY:

Kinda true, but it's not really any worse than it was with a Detroit. Sure it squalls and barks tires, but so did the Detroit Locker. With a P/U, the light rear end didn't unlock the Detroit as often as it might w/ a Runner. To turn into a tight parking spot, I carry enough speed into the turn to complete it with the clutch in. It seems to help unload the binding somewhat.

More Reality:

Off camber loose or slick conditions suck- but they do with any locker. Either a spool or Detroit will tend to make the rig slide down hill. A hard locked front end makes it worse...

I like a spool over a selectable in the rear diff because there is no chance of a non-catastrophic mechanical failure.

I'm currently running a front spool too. Without hydro assist it sucks. My turning ratio is horrible...

So, that's my take on the whole spool debate. As I mentioned at the top, unless your are gonna wheel hard, there are better choices, but for the ultimate in dependable, predictable, cheap traction, nothin' beats a spool.

Later

Mark
I'm gonna BUMP an 11 year old thread here but I'm been curious about this for some time. Would it be completly absurd to put the lsd in the back of my runner up front and put a spool in the rear?
Old 12-09-2014, 10:46 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by aquafbody
I'm gonna BUMP an 11 year old thread here but I'm been curious about this for some time. Would it be completly absurd to put the lsd in the back of my runner up front and put a spool in the rear?
If those were the option I had that's how I'd configure them. I've never run a spool just decided a lunchbox was a better option when comparing cost of tires. I've ran a loc-rite for 6-7 years. Wanted Aussie but they were on back order. I enjoyed it and found it to be predictable. I've locked in ARB on pavement and hate the sound of tires accelerated wear.

Wife hated loc-rite but she didn't drive 4rnr enough to figure it out. The few friends I let burrow it only did once.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:02 PM

what are peoples opinions on the spartan locker? it seems to be a good cheap alternative to a more expensive detroit or grizzly. im not going to be doing any major offroading often, more snow wheeling and a daily. i want something that in a heavy snow storm i wont HAVE to get out and lock in the front hubs for anything.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:48 PM

i'd say try it and see. you usually get what you pay for. but i guess if you're not going to beat on it, it should hold up for awhile. i have a detroit in our dd she does pretty good. its different. it's more like driving a tractor than a car.