Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Recovery Strap and Hardware for Newbie

Old 11-30-2018, 05:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Short Recovery Strap and Hardware for Newbie

Hi everyone, I’m not an off-roader and probably won’t become one, but I do want a good recovery strap that’s not that long with the associated shackle hardware stuff to go along with it. I work winters at a Christmas tree farm in CT and a few times I’ve had to pull out some coworkers. Some of them don’t have 4wd. I’ve got a 94 Pickup 5 speed 4wd IFS, if that matters. I’ve used chains before and while it worked it felt horrible trying to take the slack up as you can imagine. There isn’t a lot of room in these rows of trees with thin trails (the Toyota pickup is MADE for tree farms by the way) so something long won’t really work. I’m looking for something like maybe 10’ or less if that exists.

I also want to have this in my truck for pulling out the random motorist from a snow bank or even pulling downed trees off the road, which I’ve had to do a couple times since these storms seem to be getting worse...

Also, on the front of my truck I have two tow points and also one hook on the passenger side. That’s factory. I don’t believe I have anything on the rear. Do I need to get hooks or eyelets or something back there?

What do you gents recommend? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Davebarbier; 11-30-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:34 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Most straps I've seen are sold in 20' or 30'. Short straps are typically called tree savers. For pulling lightly stuck vehicles out of muddy fields they are probably fine but that's not their intended use. There are recovery straps and snatch straps. Snatch straps have some give like a rubber band in order to be smoother and help unstick a vehicle. They are usually pricier. I'd recommend just getting a simple 20' recovery strap and if it's too long just fold it in half. Straps with a folded loop at each end are safer. You can find cheap straps with hooks attached at the ends. They are not as safe. I've used them for pulling dead vehicles and very lightly stuck vehicles when a shackle is too big or just won't fit anywhere. Just keep in mind what will happen if the hook or what it's attached to snaps and use common sense.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:20 AM

Ah, ok. Yeah I just see 20-30’ recovery straps. What sort of lb capacity should I be looking for? Some cheaper stuff on Amazon as a kit which includes shackles and a recovery rope for under $60. Or some very expensive straps which look to be amazing but intended for seriously stuck heavy vehicles.

I would like stretch so a tree saver probably isn’t what I’m looking for but I didn’t know those existed so thanks for that.

I didn’t know I could double up the strap, that works for me. I like that if I need longer then I’ll have the length.

Any input out on what connections for the rear or the truck? There are frame holes so I assume I can just thread the shackle into one of them?

Thanks for the help
Old 12-01-2018, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tow hitch would be best.

I was using the frame for a while for recovery, but the proper tow hitch works much better. Mounts to the frame easily under the bumper and makes recovery/towing safer and easier. Also the Warn D shackle for the tow hitch is perfect. Look for sales and Uhaul coupons to save a bit, but worth the money to have the proper tool.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:27 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Subscribed. I also need a set for non-technical off-roading like Anza-Borrego and Death Valley dirt roads.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Subscribed. I also need a set for non-technical off-roading like Anza-Borrego and Death Valley dirt roads.
This is what I got. Should come in the mail this coming week so I can post on quality and stuff then.

Sunferno 3”x20’ Recovery Strap.
Part number: SF-T35k
Gets great reviews on Amazon and is $35 free shipping. It says tow/recovery so I was weary they are just saying this is a recovery strap when it’s really a tow strap only. But the website says it has 5-10% stretch and is designed to recover stuck vehicles as well as tow free moving vehicles.
https://sunferno.com/portfolio-item/...strap-35000-lb

Husky shackles from Home Depot at $8 a piece. I got two. I wouldn’t normally trust Husky for this but they’re highly rated. Even higher than some others I’ve seen. WLL 4 3/4 ton (9500lbs) with a 57000lb ultimate break strength.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by trueblue92
I was using the frame for a while for recovery, but the proper tow hitch works much better. Mounts to the frame easily under the bumper and makes recovery/towing safer and easier. Also the Warn D shackle for the tow hitch is perfect. Look for sales and Uhaul coupons to save a bit, but worth the money to have the proper tool.
Thanks TrueBlue, I’m looking into a tow hitch now. I do want to use proper equipment with the kit I just ordered. I’m looking on Craigslist for used but also some new ones from etrailer and other sites. Any you guys recommend?

Oh, and I almost forgot, I have an aftermarket rear bumper. Do you think I should expect fitment issues because my bumper is different than stock or do tow hitches normally sit farther down than the bumper anyway?

These normally just bolt on, right? Should I expect drilling and/or welding to be involved?

Old 12-02-2018, 05:38 AM

Thumbs up Tow hitch.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/13086
This is the hitch I got with a coupon from Uhaul. You're right!-- I did have to drill a tiny bit for the exhaust hanger. Also, I mounted it under a Westin diamond step bumper and it fit fine and looks sharp.
Now I'm on to the headlites, grill and front bumper. The tow hitch is easy by comparison I reckon. Post a picture if you have the time.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:50 AM

picture

Same bumper with the hitch.

Last edited by trueblue92; 12-02-2018 at 05:03 PM. Reason: add pic.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by trueblue92
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/13086
This is the hitch I got with a coupon from Uhaul. You're right!-- I did have to drill a tiny bit for the exhaust hanger. Also, I mounted it under a Westin diamond step bumper and it fit fine and looks sharp.
Now I'm on to the headlites, grill and front bumper. The tow hitch is easy by comparison I reckon. Post a picture if you have the time.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I see that same bumper on etrailers for $183. I’m still scouring Craigslist for something cheaper but good to know I can get one for under $200 if I have to. As for the front recovery points, I don’t think I’ll do anything there, seems to get more tricky and expensive, at least for now...