YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Offroad Tech (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   Risks of driving W/ sway bars disconnected? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/risks-driving-w-sway-bars-disconnected-57943/)

2wheelBLACKOUT 04-28-2005 01:18 PM

Risks of driving W/ sway bars disconnected?

sup yota tech, are there any risks with driving with swaybars disconnected, i am talking about daily on road driving.are there any factors like tread wear involved? thanks

Adam F 04-28-2005 01:28 PM

More body roll, thats it. When cornering or braking hard, the body will tend to lean more. This can cause a shift in the center of gravity if you push it too hard and possibly cause a rollover.

But if you know your truck's limit and don't push it, your fine. I have 8~" of lift, solid axles, and 36" tires and no sway bars, so mine is an extreme example, but its fine and I drive it around like a sports car sometimes and I'm not worried. Again, it's all about knowing your trucks limits and not exceeding them.

If you going to tow a lot or carry heavy loads, I would recommend putting sway bars back on.

Tofer 04-28-2005 01:38 PM

i haven't had mine on for a while, and besides more body roll, i noticed its a little less stable at highway speeds especially with a side wind. like adam said if you know the limits of your rig and dont push them you should be fine.

Yamaha+Toyota=Fun 04-28-2005 02:22 PM

Ive been without one for a along time. I have gotten so used to it, its not even a factor anymore. Although I do notice some body roll but nothing major. Just dont drive like an idiot and youll be just fine.

ravencr 04-29-2005 12:10 PM

I don't use the front or the rear on mine, but I don't feel safe unless I'm driving it. My wife doesn't drive it much, because it's very unstable.

Chris

Racer944 04-29-2005 02:18 PM

I'm personally going to buy disconnects and just use those because you never know if you'll be in an emergency situation and be FORCED to make a move that would be out of the ability of your rig w/o swaybars.

joez 04-29-2005 02:49 PM

Ive had my K5 nearly sideways on the interstate at 65mph in an emergency situation with no sway bars, and on TSL's, and it didnt go over. I had one of my 36" tall TSL's blow out at 55mph, passenger side front, and it was perfectly stable. I havent had a swaybar on any of my vehicles for about 4 years now, and never once have i missed it. If you know your rig, even in an emergency situation you can keep control of it and keep it from ending up on its lid.

Throw the sway bar in the garbage and dont look back.

green91runner 04-29-2005 05:00 PM

my passenger side front endlink has been broken since october (my fault) and i haven't gotten around to replacing it... handles slightly looser, but its not bad, although when i did the 180 on black ice, i was praying that i didnt hit pavement, as my truck was leaning so far to the side that i nearly went over. probably wouldnt of had the same pucker effect if the endlink wasn't broken.

ianshoots 05-02-2005 07:22 PM

I broke one of my endlinks last month when I disconnected the sway-bar to ease installation of my suspension lift (don't know if it helped or not). I just left the other on undone, as single replacement from the stealer is almost as much as a pair of discos from Lars Dennert or 4Crawler.

Anywho...the increased bodyroll is noticeable, but not bad. However, I feel like the truck is more prone to wander at highway speeds, which is annoying as i do a lot of driing (truck is my DD). Once I get done being poor, I will most likely spring for some of 4crawlers stainless discos.

jimbo74 05-02-2005 07:27 PM

my trucks been out of a swaybar since i lifted it, it never botehred me.. my truck is lifted 4" and has a 3" bodylift and has tires 6" larger than stock

ASU4runner 05-02-2005 08:11 PM

Swaybar free is the way to be! :)

Scofco 05-02-2005 08:41 PM

Another happy bar-less customer.
For the amount of flex I gained, it was worth it.

Good Times 05-02-2005 09:53 PM

what's a swaybar? ;)

ASU4runner 05-02-2005 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Good Times
what's a swaybar? ;)

:laugh: Both of mine are under my bed!