Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OME suspension lift compatible with BJ spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OME suspension lift compatible with BJ spacers?

Hi YT,

First, Happy Holidays to everyone!

Ok, now to the real deal. I have been doing suspension research for almost a full year, and came to the conclusion that I would go with a complete Old Man Emu suspension (t-bars, springs, shocks and steering stabilizer), and some 2" Ball Joint and Coil spacers. It seems like a decent lift, and would give me about 2-3" of lift, and enough quality to hold up my new ARB Pull Bar and winch.

However, my local 4x4 shop (only ARB distributors on the island) says that it wont work. Why am I listening to their opinion? They're the only ones who can find me any ARB part (besides online). They say that the whole BJ Spacer is only going to cause me trouble when I hit the trails.

I call BS.

From all the information I read, I never found anyone complaining from this setup. In fact, the OME shocks and tbars alone do not give any lift on the front! The BJ spacers do.

So, to the real question. Does anyone has a NEGATIVE feedback about this setup?
Positive feedback is welcomed too, but im more interested in telling this guy "Hey, you cant fool me!!

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
But I bet the brand they sell is the best available. I never ran that setup I just cranked my downey tbars a little and trimmed fenders to stay low and clear 33s. I'm sure someone running a similar setup will sound off. You'll need to brace idler arm, even without the BJ spacers I bent one, or magnesium bushings.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
fixed your thread title, it was almost deleted.

just order online and don't bother going back to that shop.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
fixed your thread title, it was almost deleted.

just order online and don't bother going back to that shop.
As a matter of fact, buying online actually costs less than through them! Thanks for the tittle change. Lets see if someone with a similar setup gives me a direct feedback....
Old 12-23-2010, 05:13 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Your problem is your location and that your shop is probably a monopoly.

:wabbit2:
Old 12-23-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Your problem is your location and that your shop is probably a monopoly.

:wabbit2:
My exact feeling, my friend.... and thats the problem. Being the only ARB distributor in the island, cant really expect much. However, I was hoping not to find stubborn people saying "it wont work. We've done it before" ect....
Old 02-12-2011, 05:11 AM

So..... anyone else wants to express their opinion?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:30 AM

I know this thread is pretty old but did you go ahead and go with complete OME lift and BJ spacers? I am thinking of doing a similar setup... for sure the OME lift, if you did how is the ride on the lift? The BJ spacer shouldn't be problem as long as you do a diff drop to keep safe CV angles.

AROC
Old 04-25-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by AROC
I know this thread is pretty old but did you go ahead and go with complete OME lift and BJ spacers? I am thinking of doing a similar setup... for sure the OME lift, if you did how is the ride on the lift? The BJ spacer shouldn't be problem as long as you do a diff drop to keep safe CV angles.

AROC
Hi AROC and welcome to YotaTech!

Unfortunately I never bought the OME kit. It barely offered 1-2" of lift, and it would be with Torsion bar crank. I went ahead and bought Land Cruiser springs ($60 on Craigslist) and BJ Spacers ($100). Still need to find some shocks, but adding that it's not even half of the OME set. OME may be a little more "comfortable" on the road, but in reality, the only thing it would improve is my rear, cause the OME Torsion bars are stiffer. For me, definitely not worth it.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
^^i dunno if you've got a truck or 4runner, but i've got most of the OME lift for my pickup. I have BJ spacers, OME Dakar medium duty leafs, and OME shocks all the way around. I opted not to get the extended shackles and the tbars - OME tbars will be very stiff without some weight up front (ie: plate bumper) and i didn't want much lift in back at the time, but now i might get longer shackles. As for the ride, it's far superior to what was there before and i'm sure it is very comparable difference for a 4runner getting an OME kit. the new leafs are able to actually hold up some weight in the bed and the shocks seem to be going smooth. I think the biggest improvement was the OME steering stabilizer - comparing this to the OEM stabilizer was like putting a hotdog next to a salami!

good luck!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:41 PM

Oh, I forgot to say, I also got an OME Steering Stabilizer. That I got it for cheap.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:05 AM

I've actually just recently ordered this same set-up more or less. OME rear leafs, TB's, shocks, steering stabilizer, drop diff and BJ spacers. I'll be replacing all my ball joints while I'm at it too.

I don't have any additional weight like a winch or a plate bumper in the front at the moment but I went with the OME TB's because I assumed they wouldn't have to be as cranked up as the OEM ones I have now. The BJ spacer's alone won't quite match the 2-3" lift that the rear leafs are supposed to give.

I expect to have the install done within a month.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:08 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
^what i did was put on everything except the BJ spacers initially and broke in the leafs with several loads over 1000#. it was a little stink bugged with around 2.5-3" of rake when empty. then, i put on the BJ spacers and actually loosened the tbars from their previous setting by about 1" - this gave me what i considered the perfect stance: about 1.5" rake. now that i put on some 33s, i had to put about 3/4" lift back into the tbars to help lessen the rubbing at the firewall - with all that said, i'm now thinking of adding some longer shackles to give me the slight rake i had because now the truck's pretty much level.

install can definitely be done solo in the driveway in one day or weekend. hardest part for me was lining up the axle locator pins by myself since i did one side at a time and the angles weren't straight-on. bj spacers are pretty easy as well - took longer to convince myself that cutting into my a-arms would be a good thing.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:36 AM

My truck is a single P/U and well you know its pretty light, front suspension t bars are sagging right now and the leaf spring is really harsh with no load in the back. I live in Mexico so roads here are.... well there not really roads more like an obstacle course hahaha and I wanna save my back and I've seen that OME has to versions for the truck: The comfort kit which I beleive is the Medium duty and and a Heavy Duty kit aswell. Also 2 versions of shocks are available, the comfort and the heavy duty. Since it's single cab I think comfort will be more than enough but will it really be comfort as soft and plush ride? Anyways still looks like an awesome system cause it's all tuned to work for the truck. I saw a while back a video of an australian hilux with OME jumping 3-4 feet in the air and you could tell that the suspension was definetly working with the truck instead of against it... in other word the passengers were having fun cause it soaked the impacts progressivley

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRCw4XqQviA

It aint no Prerunner nor Long Travel but it looks but it looks like it gets the job done very well.

Highonpottery- I know cutting those A-arms would have taking some convincing of myself aswell but BJ spacer must be Kick ass!