Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more flex without lift? (bigger tires without lift?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more flex without lift? (bigger tires without lift?)

Is there anything i can do to get more flex and not have to get a lift of any kind. I saw someone post about new shocks but i can't find that thread anymore, and I don't know if they included a lift with the new shocks.

Also, I have 265/75 R16, so i can't get any bigger as far as i know. But my friend has a ford F-150 and to get bigger tires all he had to do was cut a small piece of plastic from his bumper to keep it from rubbing. Is there anything like that? Or is the only way with a 4runner to get bigger tires is to lift it?

Thanks. My guess is i need a lift for both, but maybe not
Old 07-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

You'll most likely need a lift for bigger tires. I'm not sure what's the biggest size tires you can fit under there w/o one, but I'm sure others will chime in on that. As for more flex, I think the Runner is IFS thus making it very limited. One option would be to do a SAS.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Banned

if you go 285.. even the most amount of trimming you do it will still rub the a arms without a lift real badly.. you need at least 2 inches
Old 07-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by humanoid
You'll most likely need a lift for bigger tires. I'm not sure what's the biggest size tires you can fit under there w/o one, but I'm sure others will chime in on that. As for more flex, I think the Runner is IFS thus making it very limited. One option would be to do a SAS.

You'll need to either get out a sawzall and go to town, or lift it. An F-150 has larger wheel wells, the 3rd gen is going to need a bunch of trimming.

Flex improvement will be small, but you can get a bit. Try some swaybar discos.

A SAS? Be serious...the amount of money, time, and effort needed to do that for a guy asking for no lift? You can't do a SAS on a 3rd gen w/out some lift.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Sponsor

you could put swaybar discos in (or take the swaybar out all together) no sway bar gives you quite a bit of more flex
Old 07-23-2006, 06:03 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lower profile compression bumpstops will help too.

Note: you want the flex to be balanced between the front and rear. There is not much point to increasing the rear flex until you get the front moving...
Old 07-23-2006, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
There is not much point to increasing the rear flex until you get the front moving...
I disagree. Obviously the more rear flex you have, the more level your rig will stay on the trails.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/fj80-shocks-sonoran-steel-lower-control-arm-flex-pics-80221/

Originally Posted by chadbobb
Is there anything i can do to get more flex and not have to get a lift of any kind.
yes...
http://www.sonoransteel.com/rubicon_express_links.html
Old 07-24-2006, 09:23 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Level does not necessarily equal stable. Keep in mind that the spring on the P.S. rear axle is doing nothing for you at this point, and I'm guessing that the D.S. front is in the air... The truck is level because the P.S. front and D.S. rear are on the same plane.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:35 AM

what is d.s. and p.s.

remember, im a noob
Old 07-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Driver and passenger sides.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

PM Ravencr (i think). Someone put on 285s and only had to do some minor pounding with stock suspension. Then they lifted the truck and ran into more issues (than when at stock height). I don't recall his wheel setup at the time. I don't recall if he trimmed the fenders, but I don't believe so. And I certainly don't recall what year or fender style he had.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:17 PM

Is the main problem with them not fitting width?

And what is the widest i can put on the stock toyota rims? 265?

Edit, im just curious, why does lifting the truck let you put wider tires on it? doesn't make a lot of sense to me.....

Last edited by chadbobb; 07-24-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:58 PM
tc
Contributing Member

The wider the tire, the more fitment issues because of the "scrub radius" as the wheel turns. By lifting the truck, you put the wheel in the wider, lower part of the wheelwell.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:23 PM

remove swaybars

just take them off instead of paying for discos i took mine off and will never go back. one of the cheapest ways to gain offroad performance.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:45 PM

is it a big difference? does it make it less stable or just ride like crap on the highway? if its safe im fine doing that
Old 07-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

unbolt the links (the part where it attaches to you're lower control arm, or a arm, and leave the bar hanging...It will clunk a bit, but see how you like the performance...you can then just reconnect them if you don't like it, and get disco's, but i think you'll be supprised at how little you notice it.

I hear of guys taking off the rear one too, so maybe try that if the front seems okay with out...some third gen guy would know better than i.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by rocket
Wow.

I just learned something new, again.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:24 AM
lee
Contributing Member

avoid rubbing. dont step up tire size until your truck is ready for it.

you can ruin the tires, tear off body parts and cause a lot of stress by stuffing a tire too hard.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:58 PM

i removed my rear swaybar, it doesnt do too much crazy stuff, i am lifted also, it doesnt lean much more if any,but i turn slow most of the time. i have had the inside front wheel off the ground pulling a quick u turn, i did not even know it untill i felt it sit back down on the ground. i was like, woah, cool. the cars around me didnt get that feeling i suspect.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
unbolt the links (the part where it attaches to you're lower control arm, or a arm, and leave the bar hanging...It will clunk a bit, but see how you like the performance...you can then just reconnect them if you don't like it, and get disco's, but i think you'll be supprised at how little you notice it.

I hear of guys taking off the rear one too, so maybe try that if the front seems okay with out...some third gen guy would know better than i.
I took the rear off for a short time and I could pull a front wheel off the ground while accelerating around a sharp turn, a little too scarry.

I disconnect the front if I feel like it. On the street it does feel tippy due to increased body roll.

Quick Reply: more flex without lift? (bigger tires without lift?)