Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG A/T'S worst tire I have tried yet

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok,that's good to know tires are made better since I've seen some siped tires come apart after a few seasons on the trails.

Still,I'll just stick to factory siping since that is still much better since it was designed into the tire.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:20 PM

bfg is WAY overhyped IMO... there are a lot better tires on the market that offers manufacture warranties as well. I guarantee majority of the people that own them buy them for the name.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Diesel_Freak
You're posting out of whack statements like I can't even get out of my driveway with said tire... That's pretty unreal, my suggestion is maybe it isn't the tires. Or maybe the BFG's are really old and bald??? Dunno, basicly you say something 100% different from what most people seem to agree on/ have experience with so frankly I question your skills as an evaluator.

That adult enough for ya skippy?
I don't know why, but that hit my funny bone...
Old 12-15-2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Ok,that's good to know tires are made better since I've seen some siped tires come apart after a few seasons on the trails.

Still,I'll just stick to factory siping since that is still much better since it was designed into the tire.
The chunking thing is odd, seems like alot of people don't have any problems (i haven't) but I have defininately seen some tires very chunked up due to the siping cuts (only a few though).
Old 12-15-2007, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The chunking thing is odd, seems like alot of people don't have any problems (i haven't) but I have defininately seen some tires very chunked up due to the siping cuts (only a few though).
It's because those that have chunked their tires (and they'll chunk 'em regardless of if they are sipped or now) is because they haven't figured out that the use of the stupid pedal is directly connected to their pocketbook.
In other words, they use throttle to get through most everything.

Fred
Old 12-15-2007, 07:19 PM

I'll throw in my 2 cents for the BFG AT's. I had a set of 31x10.50s and was very pleased with the performance on wet/dry pavement, snow and a dirt. I bought them partly based on anecdotal postings on the internet and partly on research and comparison. My experience with the Toyo ATs have not made me nearly as happy as my BFGs. The Toyos on my Trooper are 245s though and are not C load range so they have softer sidewalls. Not sure how much of a difference that makes, so my comparison is not exact size for exact size or same vehicle.

HTH
Old 12-15-2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
It's because those that have chunked their tires (and they'll chunk 'em regardless of if they are sipped or now) is because they haven't figured out that the use of the stupid pedal is directly connected to their pocketbook.
In other words, they use throttle to get through most everything.

Fred
That seems pretty reasonable... Funny, with my 22RE, I never seem to be able to use this skinny pedal you speak of. I know it's there, it just doesn't do much when I push down on it... Maybe it's broken.

I guess Hamiltonj2w1 is still out trying to figure out how to get out of his drive way. Hang in there little guy, you'll figure it out one of these days.

Last edited by Diesel_Freak; 12-15-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
So what exactly is this "deckplate mod" and what are the benefits again?
Old 12-15-2007, 10:28 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
You're kidding, right?

Or maybe start a thread in the newbie forum.

Last edited by MudHippy; 12-15-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by 111db
So what exactly is this "deckplate mod" and what are the benefits again?
No thanks...the only hole that I'm gonna put in my Air-box is going to go to a snorkel...
Old 12-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

No thanks...the only hole that I'm gonna put in my Air-box is going to go to a snorkel...
The 2nd gens can't do the mod anyway since the airbox is quite a bit different.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
gotcha.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:31 AM

I just drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom of mine and removed the tube from behind the headlight to the airbox. This is the UK Myers mod. It does help - especially if you don't cross deep water. I live in the desert so the extra air helps a bit - more importantly it sounds awesome.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know what kind of BFG A/T's you people are buying...maybe there are some chinese knockoffs floating around and you got suckered...haha.

My 35's are 12.5 wide, say 35 MAX PSI on the sidewall. I run them at 25psi....I barrell through water and turn it to pure atomized fog and hardly feel a thing other than a litte wheel pull.

I think some of you people don't know what real hydroplaning is. Water is going to create some drag, so you can't go into a huge puddle with one tire and not expect some wheel fighting. If you hydroplane the vehicle is gonna shift uncontrollably.

I think alot of you with BFG's just aren't checking your tire pressures, and just don't know how to utilize what you've got. Like stated, just because there's a max pressure, that doesn't mean that's the pressure you run.

I've done road racing for years, and if I just went out there and max'd my tire pressures I'd be a joke. You have to understand that a tire can only work for you if allow it the best chance to do so.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by 111db
gotcha.
Yeah something told me you were having a go at us mate
Old 02-28-2008, 11:38 AM

Dunnoe did anyone ever thing that the "Nitto Man" is just a dealer of "Nitto" tires associated with the site somehow?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:04 AM

I know this is an old topic, but somehow I missed it before. So I'm now going to weigh in on what I think of BFGs.

I've had various brands of ATs on 2 and 4wd trucks/SUVs, and that includes 3 sets of BFG A/Ts. Of the BFGs, one set I swapped from one vehicle to another (2wd '95 F150 to '06 Wrangler Unlimited), one set I had on my totalled '94 Mazda Navajo 4wd that I sold to my brother for him to use on his '92 Bronco (which he is still using), and the 3rd set I now have on my Tacoma.

Someone that posted here said that the BFG A/T doesn't do well in sand. Well, I live in Florida, which is known for sand, and I know that isn't true. They do at least as good as any other A/T I've had, if not better.

They are no mud tire, but do better in mud than any other A/T I've had.

They also seem to hold up about as long or longer compared to other A/Ts that I've had.

I don't know specifically about snow, but I have seen it posted in various forums where the type of snow can affect how a tire does. So it does make sense that one person won't like them in snow, while another does.

They do well on wet pavement. However, keep in mind that when you go wider, or even taller with a tire, you increase the size of the contact patch. This increases the chance of hydroplaning with any tire. The best way to compare to other tires is to compare the same sizes.

Like was said before, there are several factors that affect how well different tires do on a vehicle. Rim width, tire pressure, vehicle weight, weight distribution, caster/camber adjustment, and maybe other factors that I can't think of could all affect how a tire causes a vehicle to act. Making changes to any of these things could affect how well a particular tire works in a certain circumstance when compared to another tire.

I like the BFG A/T. However, if I find something better, I'm open to trying it.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:26 AM

I prefer the sport king AT's to the BFG's myself. All terrain tires aren't actually "all terrain" it's just the best they can do to cover "all terrains" as an above poster said, "You can't have it all in one tire" If you need AT's for streetability & minor off road use & live in an area that sees a lot of snow, get some snow chains.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:39 PM

This is what id buy before BFG's, But I dont plan on running At's on my truck ever besides my free set of 33x12.5 Grabbers(old style) which suck.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=31894
Old 03-19-2008, 04:07 PM

well the way i look at is it depends on the driver, vehicle, and condition. If you find a tire that works for you then stick to that tire. I personally like my BFG's they do work for me, but i will try a different tire when i get new ones, and if i don't like it then i will either continue searching for some good ones or go back to the ones i know i like.

And for the origional poster who now has a set of bfg's that they don't like, then sell them and get some money back to buy something else, or just use them for some thrasher tires. My $0.02

Last edited by 904_runner; 03-19-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Quick Reply: BFG A/T'S worst tire I have tried yet