Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG A/T'S worst tire I have tried yet

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My BFG AT's have been good to me. Only issue i have with em is rain.
Do not, and i mean NOT, brake and make even a slight turn in rain with these tires. I learned this lesson the hard way, my bumper is now crooked thanks to my own stupidity(Well, stupidity and a lamp post). After a little adjustment to my driving style, i have no issues. But with winter coming up, well see how they do in snow (IF we get any) but after my experience in the rain...my hopes are not very high.

See new post.

Last edited by BioHazard050; 10-18-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:15 AM
RSR

In standard A/T patterns, either Cooper Discover AT3 or Firestone Destination AT appear rate higher than the BFG Rugged Terrain T/A.

In the modified/hybrid A/T category, the Michelin LTX AT2 are far superior to the BFG T/A KO. (Bearing in mind that Michelin owns BFG and the Michelin are latest tech/top of the line tire this company makes...).

That said, of the 5 my preference for an AT would probably be (having never driven the Coopers but since they get such ridiculously positive reviews, they just don't have them in/for the LT High Flot category for our trucks, do have standard sizes):
1. Cooper and Michelin
3. Firestone
4. BFG KO
5. BFG Rugged

As far as the Nikko and other Japanese/Asian brand tires, I've never run them nor do I have an interest. Tires are one place I try not to skimp and focus on quality.

And I'm exceptionally pleased w/ my Michelin. On them I can brake and take corners without slipping... I will add that I had the prev gen Mich LTX AT on before the AT2 and they're closer to the Firestone than anything else on here, and they slipped and were about twice as loud as the new ones (at least part of that was age of the tires -- PO bought new tires in 2005 and prob had about 1/3rd life on them, but they were getting hard as they were manufactured in 2001 and I replaced them in 2013...; the lesson is check dates on tires before you have them installed!).

Michelin also has the best warranty I've seen too... More info on my selection here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f177...l#post52075300

Edit: they do offer the 31X10.50R15LT size in Cooper (also offer 30X9.50R15LT but that's it for the high flot category). I've never seen them for sale online though...

Last edited by RSR; 09-10-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:55 AM

whoops wrong thread

Last edited by BioHazard050; 09-25-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:04 PM
RSR

Originally Posted by BioHazard050
My BFG's caused an accident.
I barely even tapped the brakes on a rainy day, my wheels locked up and i slid into a pole. Never. Again.
Bioharzard -- though you deleted your comments, which BFGs were you running?
Old 09-27-2013, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by RSR
Bioharzard -- though you deleted your comments, which BFGs were you running?
All Terrain K/O KM2's
They work great on dry pavement. Not so much on anything else IMHO.
They have struggled on wet pavement, no grip, hydroplaning at 35 MPH. I almost had another incident since my last post. Im not driving my runner in the rain again till i get new rubber. Im steering clear of BFG.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:08 AM
RSR

Originally Posted by BioHazard050
All Terrain K/O KM2's
They work great on dry pavement. Not so much on anything else IMHO.
They have struggled on wet pavement, no grip, hydroplaning at 35 MPH. I almost had another incident since my last post. Im not driving my runner in the rain again till i get new rubber. Im steering clear of BFG.
Thank you for sharing. FWIW, for ~$20-30 more per tire, I'm very happy w/ the Michelin LTX AT2s... They have better water evac channels that the KO (circumferential grooves and defined channels through edge tread), have the center rib section keep tires on line on road, are equally as aggressive by effectiveness but prob not as so visually.

Main difference is the Michelin have a softer sidewall than the BFGs...

This is the best resource I've seen on tread types: http://www.kumhotyre.co.uk/tyre_anatomy_design.php

Unfortunately, you really have to review the marketing materials for every tire to find out what it was designed for -- and assuming that if it's not discussed in it's marketing, it's probably only going to be average to poor at those tasks...

Michelin has a nice performance rating for all their tires by tire size: http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...10.50/15/tires

Wish there was an apples to apples similar for other tires, instead the most comprehensive are ratings. (Note for the Michelins that I suspect the AT2 is much better in rain than the M/S -- I think the only place the MS would beat the AT2 is on ice, but YMMV).

Last edited by RSR; 09-27-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO, the BFG A/T is (or at least was, for a long time) the most aggressive All Terrain. I've had them on 4 driver/wheelers over the years and I've never had problems on the street in any conditions. I don't overinflate them, rotate them often, and drive like I have some sense, especially in the rain. I've never hydroplaned with them.

(oops, sorry for the thread necromancy)

Last edited by paulevans76; 05-10-2014 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 31x10.5 BFG A/T Baja Champions or so (http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-...o/tire-details)

I live in the mountains, we get quite a bit of snow. Never had a problem in 4x4 (2wd was iffy because the backend is light, could have weighted it down though to help).

My worst experience was driving on an iced over section of highway in the Interior of British Columbia, I didn't have any weight in the back and even in 4x4 I could barely do 50 km/h just to keep it on the road, it was bad, I would have had to put a ton of weight back there to help but I think the rubber compound just isn't soft enough for that kind of winter driving. Every other condition I've been in it has performed great.

Don't have anything to compare with though.

<----- As you can see in my pic, I drove up a snowmobile trail on them though.

Last edited by specialblend; 05-12-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Back on another set of these. 285/75R16's on the new runner. Had some Yokohamas in the same size, but switched out just to get back to the tried and true for peace of mind on the trails.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:17 PM
RSR

FWIW, I can drive like a bat out of hell yahoo in the rain with the Michelin LTX AT2s and haven't had any issues...

Have had them for a year, and this year we've actually had quite a bit of rain in Central Texas.

I have a 4x4 3vze Xtra cab with camper shell, so do run a little heavier than most however...